GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

My family lived around the corner from it so San Matteo was a favorite early dinner many weekends. The location in the 70s is fine food-wise, but lacking the “charm” / potential to burn yourself on the oven if you need to use the restroom :joy:.

For New York style, one of my nephews will live and die by Delizia a block or two up from there — 92, not the other one god forbid and shudder :rofl:. (But also, he’s been eating it since he was able to eat solids, so take that with a pinch of salt. But it is a decent slice.)

BBQ SKEWER CART / GRAND & CHRYSTIE

Ding ding ding it was finally open and serving for once when I walked by! I feel like it’s always not open yet, or the coals are still heating up, or it might rain, and so on - every single time I go by, for years!

Anyway. They were actually open with heated coals and ready to serve today. I think I was their first customer of the evening because they even had a few minutes to chat and smile.

I was on my way to dinner so I didn’t order as many as I might otherwise have, but I couldn’t walk by and just not order after all that build-up, so I got 1 lamb, 1 beef, 1 enoki bacon, and 1 king oyster. I didn’t eat them all but I did sample a bit of each — lamb and beef had nice char and chew, enoki bacon was pretty much the best part of the enoki with a bit of bacon to boost the flavor, and the king oyster was as expected.

Now till the stars align for the next time.

5 Likes

When they opened it was actually $5.79, according to trusted sources… https://eatingwithziggy.com/2018/11/17/momofukus-latest-is-a-bang-for-your-buck/

I agree like I said its not crazy expensive

pre-gaming our group dinner, a woman after my own heart! I fantasized about stopping for dumplings or banh mi before our dinner but knew my better half would only eat a bite or two leaving me with far too much food to consume before our dinner.

in fl, we’re probably 3 hours from a decent dumpling (guessing there has to be someplace in orlando) so I’m bringing my dumpling rolling pin, asian condiments and my sourdough starter for decent bread and pizza.

Haha nicely done

My price reference was the last time I ate there pre pandemic, but yes, it’s crazy that prices doubled in 5 years.

We had a delicious group dinner at HAKKA CUISINE last night.

1 Like

I am about to let you down — I ate 1 skewer and brought the others home (ate for lunch today) :grin:

2 Likes

I think a one week ban from HO is sufficient, but I’ll let the council decide

3 Likes

This is the veggie/beef Pide at Burchak Pide in Sheepshead Bay. Quite good. Nicely spiced shredded beef, think there were some accidental pepperoni there too, along with onions, peppers, olives, mushrooms if I recall. It can easily feed two, but it was too precious to leave leftovers.

After I finished the owner/manager asked me how it was and offered something on the house. But he had a thick accent and all I heard was “bla bla bla on the house” I said yes enthusiastically even though I needed to go, anticipating some killer baklava or something. Then the tea came :frowning: . I’m not much of a tea drinker, but had to wait for it to cool and drink most of it.

5 Likes

All I can say was at least they didn’t use a copy of the NY Post.

1 Like

That looks good! Might have to go load up on lahmacun at $5/ea given they’re close to a subway.

Anyone been to Nargis lately?

I was a fan of the old location but havent made it to the new one yet. Partly because I often get Plov (among other things) from the Tashkent market on Z, Nargis’ old neighbor

1 Like

Didnt take a picture but the falafel at Tanami with “black beer” tasted mighty fine today. And the place is as busy as ever

looks wonderful!

1 Like

busy as ever meaning lines around the block?

No, just too many cramped inside, and many ordering big orders. Before the Pete Wells mention it was a quick in and out. Not a complaint. Happy for them

LIBERTINE

We got the duck two ways, the gnocchi, the salad (“we need a VEGETABLE” - no we don’t, potatoes and mushrooms are vegetables!), and ended with the cheese. Oh wait, we also paid for the bread service at the end because the cheese course was a tea saucer of cheese chippings / shavings.

The gnocchi was the best dish of the evening - this iteration was prepared with a maitake mushroom sauce. Extremely flavorful, but sadly the gnocchi were really overcooked (soggy / mushy).

The duck… we had to send the breast back because it was so underdone we couldn’t cut through it with the (special?) knives provided. The confit with potatoes on top was delicious, but salty. When the breast came back, they had cooked it just enough for the knives to work. The sauce was flavorful. But the SKIN: completely flabby. How does that happen for a signature dish?

The salad was a nice enough salad, mostly frisee with a few baby butter lettuce leaves and a mustard and tarragon dressing. Maybe we should have gotten it after the duck to cut the richness of the unrendered skin.

We ended with cheese, which I mentioned already.

4 Likes

BAR BOULUD

Two French meals in as many days may have been a bit much for me, but that’s how it played out.

We started with two pates – chicken liver and Normande – both lovely, theres rarely a misstep in that section of their menu.

We also had both the pastas on offer (a lamb ragu that was essentially Bolognese, and a mushroom prep) and the boudin blanc (which is my favorite thing on the menu).

The mushroom pasta was wonderful – garlic, chopped mushrooms, some breadcrumbs for texture, I think, and perfectly cooked pasta.

The ragu was tasty enough, but the pasta with it was completely overcooked (mushy and falling-apart campanelle).

The boudin… this was where I really wanted to scream. I have loved this dish since they opened: gently-cooked sausage laid on a bed of perfectly-seasoned potato puree, that’s all. Well, someone decided to “improve” this by browning the sausage, adding apples, and reducing both the quantity of the potato and its seasoning. (Saving grace is that I can buy the sausage next door and make the potato myself, still annoying because when I mess that up I won’t be able to blame them :rofl:)

Dessert was fine to good – one we couldn’t really identify (complimentary for a birthday) but seemed to be pineapple mousse / gel with paper-thin layers of cake, the other was a lightly-flavored chocolate mousse with some crunchy bits and tiny cubes of brownie, very rich but very tasty.

Those pates, though. Always worth going back for.

6 Likes

SCARR’S PIZZA

Thanks to @vinouspleasure pleasure for this nudge (his current favorite slice, after all!) for my house guest and I who were heading to the Angelika. Best NY slice in recent memory, perhaps ever! We were going to taste test at Joe’s after the movie, but it was still raining, and we were done with feeling soggy for the day.

7 Likes

NUAA TABLE - Prospect Heights, Brooklyn

This is definitely not the typical neighborhood “thai” - but a refined and stylish spot, with refined and creative takes on traditional dishes and polished, friendly service. Our meal was a mix of dishes that read more thai and a few that reflected the chef’s NY experience (the latter, excellent tea-smoked pork ribs, and well spiced roasted brussel sprouts,

the former a beautiful scallop ceviche with dots of uni floating in a pool of delicious red chile sauce (not pictured)
a pink grapefruit miang (presented unmixed)

lovely purple flower dumpling filled with spicy peanut and pork mixture,

a salad suitable for wrapping in lettuce leaves, of crispy rice balls and sour northern sausage chunks

eggplant and tempeh

8 Likes