GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

Ate at Tatiana again Monday night (had eaten there once before without a reservation). This time it was five of us, and we ate most of the appetizers, four main courses (two of these were the snow crab), and all three desserts. We loved all of the appetizers except the crab dumplings (weird given my apparent crab fixation). They weren’t bad, just not as stellar as the rest of what we ate. And we did not have the green caesar.

Favorite appetizers: Curried Goat Patties, were sublime. Flaky, yummy outside and the braised (I think) meat was rich and deeply flavored; and the two accompaniments, “green season aioli” and mango chutney were also delish. One overall note: the sauces on everything were simply delicious. They were varied and we would have licked them up with our fingers, if we weren’t being fairly polite. Black Bean Hummus, with spiced lamb, was (again) deeply delicious. The lamb tasted like, well, lamb, and the lamby goodness with the hummus on M’semen (I looked it up, “Morrocon crepe”) was insanely good. Our lovely waitress told us this was her favorite app, and we could see why. Crispy okra was addictive, and this from someone who doesn’t usually like okra. “Crispy” seemed to be from roasting(?), as opposed to frying, and “crispy” also meant not slimy (this is what I usually run from). When I let the waitress know that I had really liked the sausage (andouille) appetizer I had eaten last time and was intending to come back so I could eat it again, she came back and said the chef was offering to make it for us! Wow! It’s just sausage with a mustard sauce, but again, just really yummy.

All three of the mains were superb. The aforementioned Curried Snow Crab is undoubtedly still my personal favorite dish on the menu. I think if any of us thought we would have had the stomach space for it, we probably would have ordered more of the roti to soak up all of the creamy, coconuty, curry sauce. That sauce would go fine with cardboard, IMO. We had a cod and cornbread dish in a white sauce (not sure what that was as it’s not on the online menu), but again this was a delicious dish. And we had the oxtails, this served with peas and rice, and maybe some other veggies too. The kitchen, as previously mentioned, has braising down, and though we had a lot to eat, we still “fought” over the bones of this dish. (Family meal!)

If we had to choose one dessert, we all agreed it would have been the “Bodega Special,” chocolate brownie and “white powdered donut” ice cream. Served with kiddie sprinkles, it was fun and delicious. My daughter and I split a glass of Banyuls with dessert, and it was the perfect accompaniment to the chocolate cake. A note about beverages, both times I have gone, we have stuck to cocktails (I’m looking at you @small_h ). We all managed to find ones that we wanted more of (as opposed to wine, or something like that), and agreed the bar is great too. My choice: the spicy margarita.

Sorry, no pictures, but I would say for a celebration, it’s on the expensive side (but not outrageous, for 5 of us before tip, it was $657), if you can get a reservation (it took me three tries!), and aren’t interested in white tablecloths and quiet (it’s not quiet), it’s super fun and delicious, IMO.

2 Likes

Dear fraternity members,
Ex-Toronto chowhound heading to the Big Apple for a food crawl early October.
Question: Is the ’ Fulton Fish Co., ’ inside Jean George’s Tin Building a ’ foodie-worthy ’ place to visit and eat? What’s their price/value like? In general, I’m always skeptical about eating or shopping at places with the name of a celebrity chef attached to it!..almost always a price premium!
Thx in advance!

I took a stroll through there a few weeks ago, and based on that, I’d say don’t waste your time. It loojs pretty ordinary, and soulless. If you want overpriced curated “food court,” I’d head to Mercado Little Spain or Urban Hawkers.

1 Like

A branch of Sushi Lin has opened in Brooklyn Heights. Went to try it right after they opened on a Friday night and it was mobbed. Went back last week on a Sunday and it was empty. Ordered the $33 sushi entree. 9 pieces of nigiri and a roll. Not your typical combo of tuna and salmon and shrimp. Outstanding value.

2 Likes

Where does everyone go for Georgian? Scouting for one recommendation in Manhattan, and one in Brooklyn. (I also liked Badageoni in Mt. Kisco, but that thread is a horse of a different color.)

Thanks!
3F

For Brooklyn, you might want to check out this thread:

In the past, I’ve also liked Argo: https://www.yelp.com/biz/argo-brooklyn
Havent been back there in several years though.

1 Like

Chama Mama is good.

Also Oda House, although I’ve only been to the (now closed) EV location.

2 Likes

Chama Mama opened a branch in Brooklyn Heights and we went. They couldn’t be friendlier so I’m reluctant to say anything other than “nope”.

Oh, no! What wasn’t good? All I remember was the khachapuri, which was great. I also enjoyed the wine.

Thank you small_h for your valuable input!
Mercado Little Spain is already penciled up in our itinerary. Thanks for the confirmation!
As for Urban Hawks, though the concept is appealing, however, coming from diversify, multi-ethnic Toronto, with some of the best ethnic Oriental/Asian food in North America. Guess we’ll put that valuable time-slot to better use?!
BTW, for a casual, authentic French bistro dinner. Have you or your circle of friends tried ’ Le Gigot ’ before? It has a pretty high review ratings but not mentioned in any so-called best or recommended list?! The menu consisting of some traditional, classics looks pretty attractive?!

Probably the right call. We don’t have much Singaporean food here, so we have to take what we can get.

No, although I’ve heard of it. My favorite French-ish places are Lucien, Bar Six and L’Express. But I’m not super-picky about that type of food - hopefully someone with higher standards will weigh in.

Been to Le Gigot several times. Good neighborhood place with better than average fare, but not one of the top places and wouldn’t make my top 50 Paris neighborhood places list. If you lived here and want a nice, friendly place to eat well prepared food, this is more than fine. As a tourist with a limited # of meals in town maybe not so much. Same with my midtown favorite , Chez Napoleon (which comes with a Goth perk - see the website).

1 Like

@THECHARLES The French bistro I would recommend is Benoit. Been there many times. Always an excellent experience in every way.

1 Like

I like Old Tbilisi Garden. 174 Bleeker https://www.oldtbilisigarden.com/

Welcome back, Charles! No disrespect to small_h (love your posts here and on mouthfuls (what’s up with that site?)), but we were just at the Fulton Fish Company this weekend and my SO, the seafood buff, gives it a thumbs up. She’s had the raw scallop/uni starter twice this month; also real picky about lobster done-ness, with the cocktail here deemed just right. Also had the peekytoe crab cake (no filler) twice this month. Ate outside a couple of weeks ago and when a fly dropped dead in her 1 cm of remaining wine, they gave her a full pour as a replacement. Not a destination, IMHO, as the market is quite overpriced and modestly sized. But if you’re coming down to see the 9/11 Memorial or catch a concert at the new Perelman Performing Arts Center, it’s maybe worth the stroll. We think of it as a neighborhood hang, LOL.

1 Like

I defer to you as a person who has actually eaten there.

Do you mean Urban Hawker Market on 50th? If so, I’d say pass. I go there fairly often as its convenient to the office but otherwise I would never be there.

For French Bistro in a not typical environment but very fun and good food I offer up Raoul’s. If you want a more modern take along with some fabulous wine, Chambers.

1 Like

Song’E Napule recently opened an outpost on UWS (Amsterdam bet. 82 & 83). I had never heard of the place, but @vinouspleasure encouraged me to go eat the pizza (Neopolitan style) ahead of my odyssey to Naples (I leave tomorrow).

So, yeah, I take that advice, for sure! Went last night, ordered the Margherita pizza. It seemed huge for a personal pizza, and I did bring some home, but it was life-changing. I ate it there, and I recommend that rather than taking it out, if you can. I think the crust would lose its crustiness pretty quickly as it cooled, though I could be wrong about this. Slightly burned/blistered, crispy but not dry, the crust was maybe the best part? But the cheese also was something different than I have had on pizzas in New York, maybe a little smokey flavor? But just a tinge. The tomato was fresh. Really the pizza was very good. I will definitely be back.

I will say the $8 sparkling water was refreshing but ridiculously expensive. At $20, the pizza was expensive, but worth every penny to me.

6 Likes

I’ve been to the one in the village which a number of my pizza obsessive friends have called every bit as good as the pizza in naples. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that matter!

best,
ps as I mentioned offline, so, so jealous! I just don’t see a scenario where we visit naples given all the other places we’d like to go :frowning: Maybe I can convince my brothers to take a bro only trip…

1 Like

Is that a blue sticker in the middle of the pizza?