GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

That’s not what this thread is for, though – it’s for NYC folks to discuss what they’re eating (when they don’t feel the motivation to start a brand new thread).

So when people have posted general questions, we’ve suggested that they start a new thread for recommendations, both so it gets more eyeballs and responses, and so that the next person asking the same question can find that thread.

1 Like

did you try that search?

Agree in general, but did you try that? For some reason, the results do NOT capture the posts on this thread (paging @hungryonion for troubleshooting).

More responses from leaving out “manhattan” – but still not this thread.

A general site search of HO does bring this thread up, but the last comment by @ninkat only (which I’ve flagged as a site search issue previously).

However a thread search (ie checking “in this topic” in the search bar on the top right) does bring up every mention starting with @Ziggy’s.

got it, the thread has been a success given its size, I guess content is more important than metadata and we NYers know the location of the restaurants.

You do realize that this is a free community-supported message board, right?

If you would like to volunteer for “clean up on aisle 5 duties” please do speak up, and I am sure we can task you with manually tagging all posts that have restaurants in them with their specific geographic location.

so the forum software supports tagging of individual replies? why not expose that functionality to the poster?

2 Likes

actually, yes, if tagging is supported for individual replies, i’m raising my hand to manually tag the restaurants in this thread.

3 Likes

It’s gotten too big, but I can see the attraction in a blanket thread vs dozens of restaurant-specific threads with one post each. But I also read a lot of threads, so I don’t worry about missing anything.

2 Likes

IMHO, and speaking as a non-new yorker, this thread serves its purpose, for locals to share recent meals. So I would guess that locals would read it on a timely basis and note places that scratched an itch. Operative word, note. Searchability is great, but I much more trust my tickler file address list to find something that I had at one time found worth pursuing.

If any of you are old enough to remember Flip Wilson, this thread is “The Church of What’s Happening Now”.

2 Likes

Yeah, another old food board controversy come to the fore. I personally like it when each thread is about a specific place (can be multiple visits by different people). I find it easier to scroll that way. But I also think that an ongoing thread serves a purpose in getting visits to places (or multiple places) out there for us all to see. And tagging would be nice, if folks would do that. Overall, as with small_h, if you write it, I’ll find & read it. Maybe I need to get a life? :pleading_face:

1 Like

This is my life. I probably need a better life.

You live pretty well, sweetie.

I do my best. Such as it is.

I think if we had individual threads instead of this, the majority of these eats wouldnt have been reported. I say just continue with this one till the end of the year before starting a new one, and if you feel a place merits its own thread, start one

7 Likes

Hm, the thread is kinda like the what are you cooking (and eating) this month. One (read: this one in this case) is taxed with reading, but not necessarily with remembering. So, if I am trying to remember where I read @small_h’s flagging of some brunch spot downtown, I have to really start at the top of this thread and read again…I probably shoulda kept a list, but many of the places that people have dropped into I had been to before, and didn’t think to note the ones I hadn’t and wanted to go to. Also, I’ve just been hopelessly derelict in adding to the thread, so I feel like I’ve only been reading and not contributing, so who am I to ask for something more or different! (And not really sure that I am!)

It’s a really good thread, even for a New Yorker who is supposed to be “in the know.”

1 Like

Isn’t that what this thread is? Or are you in fact endorsing this thread?

IMHO, restaurant recs are points in time, otherwise they are historical reviews. You read about a place of interest and GO before it morphs into something completely different. Overrun with diners, impossible reservations, changes in kitchen or menu direction or price point. You gotta get it while you can. Going back and finding an address after six months tells you nothing about today. Dedicated single restaurant threads are good only so far as they are kept current.

3 Likes

Or you could search within the thread by who and what

1 Like

I worked on a big, innovative banking platform in amsterdam for about two years. We had lots of senior people from our company, IBM and the big 4 joining the program every month, they’d look at our solution, scratch their heads and tell us we had it wrong. Unfortunately, since they were senior, we had to spend days, sometimes weeks, explaining/debating the platform architecture which expended an incredible amount of time and emotion.

after about six months I had my team create a faq for the platform and faq number one was “Why we will not debate first principles”. We still held education sessions but we refused to debate the pros and cons of alternate architectures. Worked pretty well.

I suggest we take a similar approach for this thread. Perhaps @Saregama could expand the original OP and add her post about the rationale for this thread. Going forward, if someone questions the utility of the thread (like me), we can just refer them to the OP and move on.

best,

2 Likes

This is the Wind Sand Chicken at Pinch Chinese (Soho)

Its cooked like Peking duck (I think). Three days of Marinating (cinnamon, star anise, other herbs and spices), dry, spank, rinse, repeat. The skin gets super thin and crispy, and the flesh quite moist. Its delicious but pricy at $58. Tho its the size of about three mains so not too bad. A Hong Kong classic I dont see on many menus, tho maybe I’m not looking at the right places.

We also like the cumin ribs, the signature soup dumplings, “crab in a chinese restaurant”, and last discovery was a nice braised pork with rice. Like a fancy homey lunch box. Skip the overly sweet eggplant, and Dan Dan noodles

3 Likes