GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

Malecon, 175th st location.

6 Likes

Had some good slices at Upside Pizza on 40th and 5th. Definitely the best pizza in the midtown area which isn’t saying much. Do not go to Joe’s in Times Square. Duh. I knew better but fell for the trap since it was 1 block from my hotel. NY Pizza Suprema is ok but not my speed.

1 Like

195 St? Yeah, they are very variable. At their best good but not up to spicy & tasty quality. At their worst, yuck

we had taken it out of the rotation based on some poor meals but the food has been wonderful on our last two visits. For mains. we don’t venture too far from mapo tofu, szechuan style kung po shrimp/chicken, cumin lamb, eggplant in garlic sauce, dry sauteed string beans, cumin fish fillet. I like the pork belly dishes, my wife not so much.

I’ve been wanting to try their braised pork shank, looks incredible. What are your favorites?

1 Like

I like the tofu and celery salad. Very few places have that, yet their version if nowhere need as good as spicy & tasty. The cumin lamb is a fave, though last time is was like heavily breaded cutlets.

Cross-posting the next NYC HO dinner will be this Friday if anyone wants to join — location still tbd.

ETA: we have a rez at Noodletown, speak up soon if you’d like to join.

Grilled pork with sticky rice lollypops at Somtum Der Red Hook (same menu as East Village). Along with the excellent fried chicken, one of my favorite dishes here. The way they marinade and season, any boring stale dry meat can taste amazing. Which is sort the point of Isan cooking.

6 Likes

Hummus with Lamb at Foxface Natural preopening event. Not sure when they’ll open but this was very promising. The lamb especially was on point, and so was the goat as part of another dish. Which means Ori and Sivan most likely found the manual to the old Harry and Ida’s smoker (previous tenant). They also added a pizza oven

7 Likes

Sunchoke Caramelle at Foul Witch. While the Veal Tortelini get much of the attention for good reason, we gave the nod to these explosive candies with Sunchoke, butter of course, lemon, and poppyseed

6 Likes

NIce mellow dinner at

Kitchen Cô Út,

a newish Vietnamese on Chrystie Street. We had their tapioca dumplings (with bits if meat and seafood inside), a very good version of papaya salad with basil and beef jerky (little hard to eat) and one of their special soups Banh Canh Cua, tapioca noodle soup in a deeply flavored pork base with thick tapioca noodles, pork, cubes of pork blook (tasted like liver, sort of a texture thing) tiny shrimps, big shrimps herbs , very deliciousl finished with the three color ice dessert, with pandan noodles, kidney beans, lumps of cooked mung bean, coconut milk and ice, very refreshing on a hot night. Nice simple decor with drawings of old Hue on the wall. Will return.

7 Likes

Mariscos Submarino which is a tiny and loud spot on Roosevelt in Jackson Heights. Superb Aguachile negro that started good and just got better as it sat and the raw fish cured in the lime. By the end of the huge serving, it was sublime. We should have started on the ceviche tostada Sinolese which was brilliant from bite one.

Unexpected was a pretty decent bar with good spirits. They only had one guy working the counter and he was swamped so we dropped a good tip. We might go back Monday

3 Likes

looking forward to eating here!

Mothers day brunch at La Hueca. Great ceviche. Austere in its simplicity served by some of the nicest folks. The homemade salsa was delish! The gentleman next to us had killer looking chivo so a return is in order.

Worth all the subway hubub. Thectrain was express to jackson Heights so we hopped on a 7 main st but then Junction Blvd station was closed for “a police investigation”.

Now waiting to see Oliver.

Food! Glorious food!

5 Likes

Hey everyone,
Looking for some good eats near the Javits centre. Only in town for a couple of days. Open to any cuisine. Also, looking for an NY pizza experience…do I have to go to Brooklyn for that?
TIA

@Sandymctyre Suggest you start a new thread for recommendations.

Noted, thank you.

Foxface Natural. Former fancy sandwich place, current fancy not sandwich place. Of particular note, the shrimp (and their heads), the striper head, and the asparagus gelato with pink pepper and almond meringue. But it was all good. I ate way too much.

8 Likes

This was a very good meal & I highly recommend going. Since the owners are friends, & some of what we had was comp’ed, I’ll refrain from more review so that no one thinks I’m shilling.

2 Likes

Which?

Foxface.

1 Like