GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

There are several momo carts now in the main Jackson Heights stretch. If you want more than momos (like thukpa), last restaurant I ate them at was Khampa, time before was Phayul. Lot of variance in fillings, thickness of dough, tibetan vs nepali, and so on. The chutney is important.

Also a word in favor of New York Food Court. A little scruffier than NWM, it boasts a number of great stands with new ones opening regularly. Not as large and not as crowded. Would be happy to give a few specific recs.

If you look up the flushing crawls last year, there are lots of descriptions and pictures.

Please do!

Billy’s Hot Dog Cart, Cental Park West and W. 93rd.

Super friendly guy! Gave me a free hot dog, chips, and a drink after he asked me where I was from. I just bought one hot dog and got all of that extra. The other thing that makes this special is he makes an onion sauce. In retrospect I should have only got it with onion sauce. Back when I was a kid I always associated NYC with dirty water dog carts. Seems like halal has pretty much replaced the hot dog cart. Billy has been doing this for 30 years. If you happened to be in the area come and give him some love/support. Kinda reminds me of Ray’s Candy Store. Ray and Billy is what makes NYC great!

Had to stop by Zabar’s!

Great misfortune is these appetizing places have bad bagels, the good bagel places have average smoked fish, and it’s a crime for Katz to be serving it’s pastrami on that bread. What Philly does right is they give a shit about the bread, the good hoagie and steak places use Sarcones or Liscio’s or make their own in house. Shots fired lol

Upside Pizza, Nolita

It’s a pretty solid slice! Wouldn’t say it’s a destination like the three L’s in Brooklyn (L’industrie, Lucali, Luigi’s) but a solid neighborhood spot.

8 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Compiling an ’ eat-list ’ for an upcoming food-crawl

(post deleted by author)

This is the place that’s famous for it’s tea selection right? Aw shucks, i wanted to go but I can drink from High mountain teas @ Te or home.

Correct! Or go to the appropriately named Physical Graffitea nearby

Thanks for the tip!

Parisi, Dennis sandwich with added roasted peppers. This is pretty spectacular. Would probably liked just a tad more peppers to counter the cutlet and prosciutto.

Grand Street Skewer Cart. Had $2 in my wallet so why not! I love this cart so much. Bacon wrapped chives and bacon wrapped enoki’s!

Madhufalla, I like this smoothie/juice place on Mulberry. One man show. Homemade lentil soup is also available.

1 Like

Caffe Vita does a pretty good cappuccino! Cool dark aesthetics. Logo looks kinda metal!

Distinctive Food Service: Their main specialty is crispy rice cake w/seafood. Simply spectacular, simple. I think it is C-9 on the menu. They make a great Sanghai meatball.

Grains Fish Noodie: Yes, go elsewhere for your noodle fix; you get noodies here. Well, noodles. Really good fish noodle soup. Golden is enriched w/egg yolk. But better still is their griddles Sichuan Tofu.

Also on the right is a place that does Lian Pi, or rice noodle salad/ Really good. And a cold salads/dish place that is also very good.

On the left there is a Lanzhou Hand Pulled Noodle which is ubiqutous these days and very good, with lots of good cold dishes.

On the right just as you walk in is a place that does squid skewers and other good-looking stuff. We did not try but it sure looked good.

2 Likes

Just back from Malai, the Carrol Gardens ice cream boutique that features South Asian flavors. Was surprised to see Black Forest on offer tonight, but it didn’t disappoint. Just like everything I’ve tasted there, it was delicious and perfectly balanced. I’ve never had a flavor there that wasn’t scrumptious.

2 Likes

No pics. But we are staying in Astoria by the Broadway stop on the N… Broadway and 34th. A couple of finds… one a neighborhood fi d and the other some of the best sushi i have had in years.

Toast and Roast is a neighborhood find. Good espresso drinks and a wide variety of excellent deli case items and soups. This will be our regular coffee spot on return visits.

Kondo Sushi was another ‘walking by and it looked good spot’ that turned out to be sublime. Kondo and his wife make sure of every plate served! Much of the fish is flown in from Japan. We had firefly squid, ankimo, engawa (flounder fin meat, you get 4 to 8 slices per fish), shimeji (young yellowtail on the menu) and japanese scallops. Mostly sashimi although i did do 4 pieces of sushi: 2 engawa and 2 spanish mackerel.

We started with a stunningly good braised eggplant and the miso soup was noteworthy. We also had a couple of yuzu drinks and a superb kikusui daigingo sake. This is the best sushi i have had since we lived just outside of Little Tokyo in LA in the 80s and 90s. We left high on the great food.

Not cheap. With tip, it came to $220 but i have had a lot of not as good sushi for a similar price. Nothing in DC or Baltimore comes close.

4 Likes

This bad boy is the Pistachio Rose Croissant at Librae Bakery in East Village. Nice layer of Pistachio paste inside. Airy, flaky, huge, and very messy. Eating it on the go means feeding all the neighborhood birds. But its worth it. Best croissant Ive had since Patisserie Florentine RIP. A line deep out the door, as was the case at La Cabra, and Chicalicious yesterday. Did all three last month and recommend them all

7 Likes

Mam’s back in town, and today they’re serving up clam noodle soup, with a side of clam cake and fried tofu. I had a prime window seat (yay!) next to a door that didn’t close on its own, so I had to get up about 50 times to shut it (boo!).

The soup was very good, but pretty bland without the addition of hot oil and pickled garlic & chilies. The clam cakes were excellent, and I brought most of the tofu home to H, 'cause he likes it more than I do. Can’t say enough about how nice the service is there. It was a one-woman show, serving about 20 people at a time and managing to be both efficient and sweet as pie.

2 Likes

Where is this place?

70 Forsyth. It’s only semi-permanent. They announce dates and menus about a week in advance on their Instagram, and you can pre-order. I don’t think they take walk-ins in their present incarnation.

Thanks.