GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

I read your previous comment too quick and missed the salted egg mention. Noted!

we alternate btw new york noodletown and big wong for takeout, tonight was big wong, the duck was good but the soy sauce chicken stole the show this visit.

5 Likes

She had a pop up at some point during COVID. I can confirm that the food from that time was great (fried chicken and jambalaya), so I am definitely looking forward to hitting KJUN soon.

I have a res at Claud for Friday early (second time there), so won’t be this weekend.

Would love to hear more on Claud. I’m a fan of Josh Pinsky but reservations are hard to get. I may try walking in one of these days.

1 Like

We used to swing by Big Wong “on our way out” of the city. We’d grab a couple orders of roast pork and a couple of roast duck. Half of the roast pork would be gone before we hit the turnpike :rofl: :yum:

1 Like

L’antica Pizzeria Da Michele, 2 Bank St. Quality ingredients, very flabby, soupy pizza. My favorite was the pesto with burrata, which surprised me because I don’t go crazy over pesto. The other pies were fine, nothing to write home about. Very nice artichoke salad, though, and a respectable eggplant. Desserts were strong as well, especially the tiramisu (not pictured).
](https://damicheleusa.com/nyc-menu/)

5 Likes

This is my second time going. I’ll post photos from the first time when I’m on my phone.

1 Like

Big wong opened an outpost in Williamsburg

Ive not been to the da Michele mothership in Naples but that is the rep of their pizza margherita there - wet in the middle. I do think Neapolitan pizza dough is tops - it manages to be airy and tender but also crisp, no cardboard pies there. HOwever, Id imagine a wet pie like that needs to be eaten up pronto.

There was no crispness to speak of. The crust had a nice flavor - yeasty and charred - but its texture was very soft, even the dry parts. I’ve had pizza in Naples - it wasn’t this mooshy. But that was a long time ago, and maybe standards have evolved.

it’s a common complaint, not everyone loves it, the bottom should almost be like a crepe. I have a pizza friend who has been to the one in naples and nyc, he thinks they are very similar. my favorite neo in nyc is Song’ E Napule.

1 Like

The folks I was with compared this unfavorably to Song’ E Napule, so obviously I need to get over there.

I was also the only one at the table who’s been to Una Pizza Napoletana, which I think is terrific pizza, but not a great place to have a convivial meal 'cause terrific pizza gets you only so far.

I agree its a very common complaint. When it comes to Neapolitan I always warn people what to expect. I sent a couple there from Texas who frequent NYC often, and they thought it needed to be cooked more. I’m surprised the reviews so far are as good as they are.

I didnt really find Da Michele Margherita soupy per se. Its very soft, but I was still able to fold a slice both ways and eat with my hands. Not much crisp to speak of, but I really liked the overall flavor. I like Song’ E Napule too but eating the the two a year apart makes it tough to compare except for the size. Da Michele is much larger so the softness is more prevalent.

I was surprised by how big the pies were. I’m become used to the $21 personal pizza, I guess.

I wasn’t. Could barely drag a piece onto my plate without leaving a trail of cheese and sauce.

Interesting. The only thing I needed to do is cut the pies more with my knife to accomplish that. The slices separated easily. But I hear you. Maybe a consistency issue

Very likely. Because our slices wouldn’t separate without being sawed apart.

after learning to make a credible nyc style pizza at home using steel, I went down the neo rabbit hole first in our oven with a nearlypolitan bake but finally, after a $1200 repair, gave up the ghost and ordered a real pizza oven. Even then, there was a crazy learning curve and when I got it right, friends and family would ask why my bakes were so soft in the middle :slight_smile:

IMG_2768

6 Likes

Philistines!

1 Like

I havent been to Una Pizza Neapolitana for many years but it was great, very true to the genre, should go back!