Good eats in Manhattan

I’ve heard of this- thank you for jogging my memory!

2 Likes

have a fun trip. i love ny!

2 Likes

Is TO Toronto?

1 Like

Yes. Sorry. TO is short for Toronto.

1 Like

I second Ippudo. Totto is not the same since the original location closed.

For sushi try Uogashi for a bit higher end or Sushi by Bou for $50 omakase or Sugarfish for something far better than anything in its price range.

For seafood there is Le Bernardin if the budget allows. I absolutely love Marea for Italian.

All’antici Vinaio for Italian sandwiches from Florence.

Personally I find Katz not worth the bother for the crowds and the stupid ticket thing. Far prefer Pastrami Queen and 2nd Ave. Bens is close by your hotel. Agree Russ is not a deli, but an appetizing shop.

I like Benoit for French. Los Tacos No 1 for what else.

Stay away from the immediate Times Square area if you are looking for good food.

3 Likes

Ippudo for ramen.
Los Tacos No.1 has to be one of the best tacos I have had EVER. Not because they are fancy…but just because it is so plain jane street tacos they get just perfect.
Grand Central Oyster Bar…always included on our trip.
Ootoya Japanese comfort food…nothing fancy, but always good.

1 Like

I concur. We get surprisingly good tacos where I live, but these were next level. Another reason I love Chelsea Market :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sharing that Le Bernardin used to (pre pandemic) have a small unreserved bar (4 rather perched) seats in the back. If they are still doing that, it is pretty easy for a person to slide in on late notice.

1 Like

A friend is heading to Manhattan this weekend.

Which hole-in-the-wall, down-to-earth, greasy spoon, somewhat off the radar and/or low key- type places would you recommend for a Saturday and Sunday brunch or lunch?

Any of the recommendations here or on the other thread would fit imo.

2 Likes

Yep, I had sent my friend this thread and the thread you’ve linked. :slight_smile:

Miznon’s pita sandwiches and Los Tacos 1 at Chelsea Market are both excellent. Los Tacos only has about three taco choices, but they are the best NYC has to offer. If you come from the west coast, though, skip the tacos. Miznon has interesting and diverse mix of pitas: think “folded cheeseburger” as well as a whole menu of vegetarian options. Sides like whole roasted cauliflower also delish. My favorite pita is the “roasted broken chicken.” If you have to be at Chelsea Market (or in the area), you won’t starve.

3 Likes

There’s also Los Mariscos - same people, same market, different tacos (and other stuff).

1 Like

Benoit used to offer a cinq à sept / happy hour specials for small bites and cocktails. I remember having bite-sized croque monsieur, which I thought was a nice idea. Not sure if they still do this.