Good eats in Manhattan

9th and 48th is the heart of Hell’s Kitchen - tons of great options within a couple block radius of your hotel, let alone the rest of Manhattan! Off the top of my head I can recommend Caselulla Wine Bar, Totto and Ippudo Ramen, Viv Thai, Marseille (bistro fare), etc., but there are many more great options nearby.

Do you know what sights you’ll be seeing during the day? For hot dogs you’ll want to hit up a dirty water cart for the true NYC experience. Katz or Russ and Daughters for deli/smoked fishes.

4 Likes

I like Sullivan Street Bakery There’s a location in Hell’s Kitchen and another in Chelsea.

I like Barney Greengrass for smoked fish or breakfast if you head north to the Upper West Side.

2 Likes

My favorite place in that neck of the woods is the very casual thai joint Wondee Siam. I love the avocado curry.

2 Likes

For “jewish deli” I really like the new-ish Russ+Daughters Cafe, open 8:30-2:30 every day on the Lower East Side.

1 Like

here’s a few…

oyster bar grand central station - lex luthor lair, nice raw bar, pan roasts and stews

i second barney greengrass for vintage atmosphere and great smoked sable

john’s pizza on bleeker – good excuse to go the peculiar pub for a few exotic beers first

Minton’s playhouse, drinks and jazz

grey’s papaya/papaya king/etc - nice dogs and papaya drinks

knish from a stand, bonus points for sterno flavor

if you have to go to Katz’s, the garlic knobleworst tops the pastrami for this eater

juniors is generally skippable for me, but ez to grab a slice of cheesecake from their midtown spot window. it won’t hurt.

Veselka (or spots like that in east village vicinity like Tzarevna)…i like the pirogies and borscht

lechonera la isla (east 125) – lots of good puerto rican stuff; folks that live up there might know of some other spots

have fun

2 Likes

You have probably seen this already, but maybe not. Lots of good tips from last summer.

Have fun!

3 Likes

Agree on the GCOB (Grand Central Oyster Bar) recommendation… if you like oysters. If not, they have nice pan roasts, and the atmosphere is one of a kind.

Chelsea Market is a great place to grab lunch, as there are soooo many options: seafood, tacos, pizza, and so much more. I’d be a happy camper if I were locked in that place over a weekend :wink:

1 Like

I beg to differ. Katz’s and Sarge’s are delis. Russ & Daughters is not. The shop sells and the restaurant serves appetizing, i.e., smoked fish such as nova, smoked white fish, sable, kippered salmon, etc., as well as related items.

2 Likes

Dissent here.
I’m not sure why, but I find Chelsea Market disappointing. I’ve visited 3 or 4 times. It feels like a tourist trap to me. I walk around trying to find something and leave empty handed.

I have the same kind of experience at the food hall thaf opened up on Canal Street and at the Essex Market.

I guess I’m not the right demographic for that.

I do like the Union Square Green Market a lot. (An outdoor market more for shopping than noshing) https://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/manhattan-union-square-m

2 Likes

I often get the mini cheesecake or strawberry cheese pie to go from Junior’s takeout side when I need a bite before or after theater.

2 Likes

These spots are fun.

They used to have one named after Bea Arthur !

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ve had spectacular uni there, the tacos are some of the best I’ve ever had, the pizza is great, and the halva store always has us pick up at least a few chunks each time we’re there. The American cheese monger has some incredible domestic cheeses, too. And I’ve only scratched the surface…

I think Eataly is far worse in terms of “tourist trap” feel in that you could not pay me to go back.

1 Like

I had their cheetos soft serve. Not nearly cheeto-y enough for me.

1 Like

im not up on the other ice cream in NY these days but the weather demands it!

2 Likes

Absolutely! Homemade, gelato, ice cream, soft serve, frozen custard – tis the season :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve bought the same brand of halva at the Whole Foods located near Bryant Park. It’s a great product.

I don’t Iike the Eataly in Manhattan that much. It’s decent for a breakfast sandwich or a coffee. I’ve used it as a pit stop rather than a destination. I like the Eataly in TO a lot. I live 3 blocks away and it’s one of my go-tos for a hostess gift, foccaccia, a quick slice or a panini.

2 Likes

another reason to hit up Barney Greengrass

3 Likes

I’ve heard of this- thank you for jogging my memory!

2 Likes

have a fun trip. i love ny!

2 Likes

Is TO Toronto?

1 Like