Good eats for this road trip?

My youngest attends college in Burlington, we have been back and forth from north of Boston too often in the last 3 years.

Consider Honey Road on Church Street. Very interesting, well done small plates.

We have also enjoyed Bluebird BBQ https://www.bluebirdbbq.com/

Turkish Kebab was worth a stop, intimate dining spot, good food.

The old standbys include The Skinny Pancake, Luenig’s Bistro and Henry’s Diner.

If your timing changes and you can come along in August, tickets to the Cheese Festival would be worth purchasing. Held at Shelburne Farms, it is a wonderful way to spend the afternoon.

But regardless of your schedule try to fit a visit to Shelburne Farms into your schedule or stay a night or 2 there. It is a beautiful setting and very interesting story.

Have a great trip!

2 Likes

Providence has a kick-ass dining scene. I wouldn’t even know where to begin but I’ll throw out north (newly-relocated to the Dean Hotel) and Wara Wara, which we recently visited. The presence of RISD (a renowned art college) lends a cool, artsy, but unpretentious vibe to Providence.

3 Likes

For this foreigner, I think my favourite BBQ style is Eastern NC (although maybe it’s SC mustard style). Good to hear that it travels well outside of the South.

Unfortunately not - but I have eaten outstandingly good Vermont cheeses. And I say that as a cheese fan who lives in a farmhouse cheese making county.

1 Like

If you ask me (which you didn’t), if you’re going to drive from NYC all the way to Burlington, you should just keep going until you get to Montreal, which sets many of the best tables on the North American continent.

That sounds like a fun trip! Stop here for the husband’s BBQ – the best north of the Mason-Dixon line, and maybe south too! We are on the way.

On your way north, stop in New Haven for the famous New Haven-style pizza. Pepe’s is often spoken about as having the best pizza in the US! But there is also Sally’s Apizza and Modern Pizza. While in New Haven, the Yale Art Galleries are worth a visit. The British Gallery just reopened after renovations, and the Beineke Library always has interesting books and ancient manuscripts on display, not the least of which is the mysterious Voynich Manuscript.

The restaurant in the Hanover Inn was excellent when I ate there a couple of years ago. We’ll be back in Hanover early March, and we may try to have another meal there. Across the bridge into Norwich, Vermont (a 5 minute ride from Hanover) is the King Arthur Flour Store and Bakery. They have a wonderful cafe there that serves breakfast and lunch with divine baked goods for an extra treat. I believe there is an adjunct cafe on the Dartmouth campus somewhere. Also, the town of Norwich itself is quite lovely, and a pretty place to poke in and out of the little shops.

That’s all I’ve got right now!

3 Likes

this is a spectacular building, too

1 Like

I heartily agree that visiting both Yale art galleries is worth the time. Both have great collections and are wonderful buildings designed by Louis Kahn. Beineke Library the same…well-worth-seeing building and collection. Louis Kahn also designed the library at Phillips Exeter Academy in Exeter, NH.

I love King Arthur Flour…the cafe and bakery are fabulous and the shop has too many great things to buy in terms of kitchen equipment and ingredients. It’s employee-owned, not cheap, very high quality and the staff is friendly and helpful. If you go through Williamstown in western Mass, the Williams College art museum and the Clark Art Institute are some of my favorite museums, and MassMOCA in North Adams even higher on my list. I haven’t been recently enough to either area to make restaurant recommendations, though I can say we enjoyed both the restaurant at MassMOCA and Mezze in Williamstown several times in years past.

1 Like

OK. MassMOCA definitely on the list for a visit. I think it’s only an hour from the Stockbridge area so a look round followed by lunch before carrying on to Burlington

And I’ve pencilled in a couple of nights for New Haven - good striking distance for either of the NYC airports. I recall regular mentions on Chowhound of the pizza place there.

New Haven is well-known for dueling “Apizza” places. I lived in New Haven for several months decades ago, and have no remotely recent experience, but I am sure others reading this have deep knowledge. Pepe’s and Sally’s are the oldest, most legendary restaurants. Volumes have been written about these places and their partisans. Those who know, start posting!

Not to sound like your mom (now that I am a mom, at least I’m kinda qualified), but that makes for a pretty long day. I mapped it out if you were to drive straight through from Stockbridge to North Adams onto Burlington…4.5 hours on a good day. A stop at MASS MoCA alone would take a couple of hours, even if you dash through the galleries (which I don’t advise). If you enjoy a leisurely sit-down lunch, which we do, tack on another 1 hour. Plus, those small mountain roads are narrow (only 2 lanes, one coming and one going) and require vigilance and travel on them can be slow-going, especially if you get stuck behind a big truck (although there are passing lanes at the inclines).

Just sayin’! :grinning:

3 Likes

As you head to Hanover from Burlington, there are a couple of don’t-miss options. In Quechee, VT, visit the restaurant at Simon Pearce (and explore the glass factory downstairs and the glass showroom on the same level as the restaurant). Lovely setting overlooking the river, a dam, and a covered bridge. Outstanding food, excellent beverage program (wine and beer). They always have a beer on tap from Hill Farmstead, a cult favorite that is otherwise hard to find. They don’t take reservations for lunch, but do for dinner. At dinner the roasted cod with crispy leeks is a favorite.

Just down the road near the I89/I91 interchage is Thyme (formerly nown as Tip Top Cafe) in White River Junction. In the old Tip Top Bakery building that also houses a number of artists studies that are worth exploring. Get the frites! Nearby just off the main square is Vermont Salvage, a huge wharehouse full of reclaimed architectural gems. Fun to poke around even if you are shopping.

King Arthur Flour is a baking mecca, in Norwich, VT just across the river from Hanover, NH. If you are there on a Friday or Saturday, get the Hazelnut Loaf, a light yeasty bread that you will finish before you make it to the car.

Also in Norwich is the Montshire Science Museum, an absolute gem. Though not large, every thing is “just so”, very well maintained and staffed. Be sure to check the “water park” and trails adjacent to the museum.

In Hanover, Morano Gelato makes authentic gelato. They use an Italian machine to get the right amount of air mixed in for the correct mouth feel; everything is made daily, and as a result they can run out of popular flavors by late afternoon. (They recently opened a branch in Chetsnut Hill, MA).

Molly’s in Hanover on Main Street (close to Morano Gelato) is a reliable and fun stop, eclectic menu, decent cocktails and beer selection. (The $3 Margarita is not bad). The butter served with warm bread is addictive - I think it may be spiked with a bit of honey.

A bit of a detour, but if you are in to spices, visit Claremont (NH) Spice and Dry Goods. Spices are ground in small batches so they are always fresh and pungent. They also carry an excellent selection of meats from North Country Smokehouse - grab a smoked duck breast.

Revolution Cantina a few doors down from the spice store, overlooking the main square, makes excellent burritos. And Margarita’s.

3 Likes

Forgot to mention the Norwich Farmer’s Market, Saturday mornings just down the road from King Arthur Flour. Woodcock Farm always has a stand, selling outstanding cheeses. There is always live entertainment, very kid-friendly. And look for Gizmo’s Pickles - pickled fiddlehead’s anyone? May through October. They have a web site.

1 Like