Going to London, Preston and York this July. What should I not miss?

must get there. it’s daytimes and i want to go on a friday. everyone else is at work. maybe this week…

second week of may? if it stays east we could actually do something - for me, that means a weds or thurs. now it feels like a community!

I work from home and live in Plaistow, so yes - free whenever you fancy meeting for lunch, just let me know :slight_smile:

I always want to draw the attention of Americans visiting the Whitechapel area to the premises of the recently closed Whitechapel Bell Foundry. It not only made Big Ben but the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia.

2 Likes

I will try to weigh in with some food suggestions later, but if you happen to have contactless credit cards, you can normally use those on the tube/bus etc instead of oyster cards. That way you get the cheaper oyster rates (day tickets are expensive), but don’t have to decide in advance whether to buy a day pass or not (it caps your daily spending if you make a few trips.)

I walked home past the bell foundry for a few years and never got around to visiting, what a shame it closed.

I used to live nearby on Commercial Road and concur with people’s love for Needoo over Tayyabs, although I haven’t been for a couple of years now. The dry meat curry was always a favourite.

Another historic place, between Wapping and the aforementioned Cafe Spice is Wilton’s music hall. It was saved from dereliction a few years ago and now holds regular productions. It’s a lovely old space and I’ve heard its bar is worth propping up even if you’re not going to a performance.

And contactless is definitely the way to go in London these days, no need for Oyster or travel cards. I don’t know if contactless cards ever took off in the states but Apple / Google pay work seamlessly too.

Yeah, we barely have the Chip up and running. :wink:
This old lady doesn’t own any contactless cards or phone technology that would tap into my checking account. If I wait until I get to Heathrow, will I pay more? Or is it better to talk to someone at the Tourist Authority and see what makes sense?

There are automated machines in the stations where you can get a new Oyster card and return one to get your unused credit back, so can just wait until you get here.

Apparently you can get the young person’s discount added to a normal Oyster if you want it, you don’t have to have one of the pre ordered visitor cards. You’ll have to queue and talk to someone at a station. They’ve shut a lot of ticket offices but there should be one at the major stations you’re passing through, including the airport. You’ll save 50% on your kid’s fare but with the small number of journeys you’re taking, maybe base it on your tolerance of the queue at the time.

1 Like

Thank you very much Lex, that is super helpful. I’m not scared of queues and to avoid hassles later, it’ll be worth it. Coming into town after 10:30 am, so hopefully not too crowded.

My question is and has been for some time, can you use a contactless from elsewhere and not incur the bank charges each time? Hmmm. As a side note, a recent poll showed 49 and 48% Contactless uptake in the UK and Canada, and a surprising 1% in the USA. The differences between visitor and regular for the most part have to do with 7-day options, but also that visitor cards give you discounts to attractions and in some restaurants. It has a London picture on it, which can be cool for a visitor. the regular oyster is two or three shades of blue and boring. Both work equally well and both can be transferred to someone else to use or keep them and the money never expires. https://www.visitlondon.com/traveller-information/getting-around-london/oyster-faqs/which-card-to-buy. The cards themselves cost a non-refundable £5. So that’s an added cost for the convenience so you’ll have to come back more often or have lots of friends you can pass it along to.

If you have a contactless credit card or Apple Pay on your phone, you don’t need an oyster. And the capping can work out cheaper than oyster.

I’m sorry … just saw your question and have been away. I hope I won’t be repeating anything from your many suggestions. We were in York last year and had a really nice meal (not expensive) at a Polish restaurant right near the town centre. It was called Barbakan and it’s in Walmgate. The food was excellent and it seemed a very popular destination.