Gargiulo’s* (Formerly Portifinos) Tinton Falls NJ

I figured it had something to do with that so I told him to call directly and ask what they have available. On the topic of reservations and not being able to get one… Someone brought to my attention a few days ago a certain establishment (won’t name names) accepts payment for standing reservations every weekend. I find this crazy honestly that some people will essentially put up money to have the table before they even order a drink or an appetizer. Maybe this is more common than I initially thought.

I apologize for the brevity as I only heard about my cousin’s visit secondhand. The general impression she had was that the food was OK and so was the service. She was “appalled” by the attire of her fellow patrons.

2 Likes

For perspective:

Domestic fresh free range lamb chops costs $25/lb
That same lamb shank would cost $9/lb
A frozen commodity lamb shank $4/lb

1 Like

can’t compare a “fine dining” sit down restaurant with PEcci’s…that’s my local salumeria since it opened, but it’s hardly a restaurant, and Pecci’s is pricey.

1 Like

having eaten at the grand old school expansive restaurant landmark that Gargiulo’s is (not for many many years) there’s no way that any physical comparisons can be made to their new place which at best is a small country inn style restaurant. Cozy. Quaint. Looks like they did a great job with the change from Portofino’s to Gargiulo’s. But there no way it can be the same type of place, even with the same owners. I’m waiting a bit till they are open a few months to iron out all the kinks you experienced, hopefully. While we’re talking Tinton Falls Italian Restaurants, Nettie’s is my favorite. It’s hip, it’s modern, it reinvents the old school Italian cuisine while respecting it. Literally in my backyard it’s like a cool NYC place with an ItalianAmerican vibe. The Sole Milanese that was on their summer menu screamed old and new school. It was amazing.

3 Likes

First and foremost Welcome to Hungry Onion! Always great to have more food impassioned people joining us!!!

Just a FYI although you replied to me regarding the comparison of Gargiulo’s to Taste of Italy, that was actually a comparison drawn by the person on Facebook not myself.

There is also a separate thread dedicated to Nettie’s which you should place your praise on, more eyes interesting in information on Netties will see it if it’s in their thread vs. here. Here is the link to that discussion if you want to join that conversation too:

Nettie's house of spaghetti - tinton falls, nj

3 Likes

grazie.

4 Likes

As long as we are at it, here is the official link to the Welcome to Hungry Onion thread. If you don’t mind me asking how did you find us here?

1 Like

also- believe the chef/owner of that spot has commented on that thread a few times, so your comments would likely be seen by them as well, providing useful feedback. We get some owners/chefs of some local spots, mostly in Monmouth County, to chime in from time to time.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard! Do you have any other Italian favorites?

1 Like

Double post

Longtime Tinton Falls resident, born and raised in Staten Island NYC moved here in 1986. I’m Managing Director at a Financial firm but a lifelong cook, traveler, recipe developer, former chef and owner of my own catering firm here at the shore, social media addict, blogger, plus a Dad of 2 college girls and husband to my wife of 37 years. ItalianAmerican and ITalian food are my number one interests, involved in Italian American groups. Love the food scene, have a huge following on FB and am very active on Instagram. World travel is our shared family passion and eating our way and researching each area are my passions. Any and everything food, food related interests me. Most specific is drilling down the history of and perpetuating and making people aware of a dish and a food culture. Found you on a random IG post and thought I’d take a look. What took me so long??? lol. Glad to be here.

8 Likes

pleasure to meet you! Jimmy’s in Asbury, Porta in Asbury.

3 Likes

and there’s no food topic i can’t stop talking about. lol.

Sounds like you’ll fit in just fine. Welcome!

3 Likes

Welcome @afoodobsession! I think you will enjoy reading and contributing to the below threads, especially the cuisine of the quarter which happens to be Italian and is right up your alley.

There is a general monthly what’s for dinner thread:

We also have a local NJ ‘What’s cooking’ thread that you might like as well.

We look forward to your contributions!

3 Likes

I definitely agree that it is very dis-organised or as you stated, “scattered all over the place” …

Wow, that’s quite a background! You will fit in well here and and I’m sure we will all learn some great info from your posts.

Have you tried Gabriellas yet?

2 Likes

I have to say i was a little disappointed in Gargiulo’s. Sat down at bar, with wife about 10 minutes behind me. Just wanted a glass of wine and a quick bite between kids’ pickups and dropoffs. There was another guy at the bar, seemed to know owner(s)/ associated persons. He was ordering food, so I also asked for a menu, which i got (bartender asked a manager if they were serving at the bar tonight, and got the nod yes). Wife arrived, told the hostess she was going to eat at the bar, and the hostess told her they were not serving at the bar. Luckily she pointed me out, and the hostess told her, yeah that is ok then if you are with him. I guess it is just some confusion around what kind of capacity they can handle. Anyway, minor strike there I guess. Bartender was a little disinterested and unengaged, possibly focusing more on known patrons/associated persons. On to the food - house salad ordered with no red onion, came with red onion. it was fine, hard to make a terrible house salad. Wife annoyed at having to pick out the onions. We also got the seafood salad, which needed some sprucing up. More lemon and garlic for sure. it was kinda bland, but the seafood was tender enough. Also for a higher end restaurant, dont give me the little maggot shrimp. Use the bigger ones and slice em up. The riceballs was actually really good, but they were only lukewarm. Flavor was good tho and sauce was good. Got a pasta which had bacon and zucchini in a light pink sauce. No flavor. Needed to be doused with pepper and cheese. Maybe it is my fault for ordering a bad dish. The zucchini was small cubes and sauteeed i guess. Im not sure what i was expecting exactly, maybe something along the lines of the fried pieces you get as an amuse at il Mulino. The penne was al dente at least. The way it came, the veg lended nothing to the dish unfortunately. Wife got shrimp cocktail, it was fine.

Overall, I think the prices are high for what is is. Nice to have an italian close by to soccer fields, but i dont think i would go out of my way. Maybe give it some more time to work out the kinks. Plus the parking, even tho they have valet, is a little bit of a nightmare.

5 Likes

Not sure what to read into this, besides I guess they weren’t killing it at lunch.

1 Like