Gargiulo’s* (Formerly Portifinos) Tinton Falls NJ

(*Might be spelled incorrectly)

The banner is hanging out front and there has been a truck with people unloading things all weekend. I can’t find anything online except an old school Italian place in Brooklyn with the same name, no mention of a second location opening in Jersey so not sure if they are affiliated.

Don’t know for sure what is going on but something new is coming! Stay tuned for updates!

*EDITED TO ADD
(Since it has been confirmed this is the same as Brooklyn here is the web site for the Brooklyn location)

3 Likes

Know many people who are fans of the Brooklyn spot. Very interesting if it’s related. That location was too prime to be
Empty that long even with woodys moving in.

1 Like

Talked to a friend of mine who frequents the Brooklyn location and it is affiliated.

1 Like

Well then that is VERY exciting news! Welcome to Hungry Onion way to score a big “scoop” with your first post!! If you don’t mind me asking how did you find us? We always enjoy fresh voices in our discussions please feel free to look around and share more with us! If you have any questions let me know!

1 Like

Stumbled upon the website searching for a restaurant (Greek Spots new location in RB). Found this to be way more informative and truthful than most of what Yelp puts out there.

4 Likes

That’s pretty awesome and yes we pride ourselves on being the anti-yelp style site. So welcome again and thank you for the courtesy of answering my question. Just a FYI as you will read about the Greek Spot yes the Red Bank location is serving the same excellent food (exception to @CurlzNJ Greek Easter meal) service has been questionable at best. I’m a HUGE fan of theirs but I’m skeptical of Red Banks fate. (not trying to jinx them)

Here is a link to our little “Get to know you” thread if you care to share some more info about yourself feel free. You also seem to be local to Monmouth county you will find you are in some good company, we have a fairly large Monmouth County presence on the site.

Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more…and welcome, @PizzaRobby ! If you spend some time on here you’ll see we have a group of people who post fairly consistently (unlike Yelp) and we also have some fun (unlike most community-based sites). Glad you found us!

3 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: Pizza-Pizza-Pizza!!! Monmouth County NJ

We had dinner once at Gargiulo’s many years ago. We liked it a lot. I’ve wanted to go again, but we’ve somehow managed not to make it happen. I figured there was a connection. Otherwise, there would certainly have ended up being a “cease and desist” order. If this outpost is as good as the original, anyone who likes “old skool” Italian (which I do) will be ecstatic.

1 Like

This is a stones throw from where I live so I’m excited to have this addition to my local scene. Perhaps this will give me the opportunity to finally make your acquaintance!

2 Likes

There used to be an excellent Italian place right over the outer bridge, first exit in a strip mall the name was Panara(?). Do you know it? Last I checked about 7-8 years ago it was gone, it used to be on my list of places to go, first place I ever had bronzino.

1 Like

not sure- was it on Page Avenue by chance? they opened a spot called cafe Luna there now I think a cpl doors down. Panerea by chance? Never made it there- I used to live on the other side of the Island.

Way out that way I love Da Noi…- by west shore expressway…left that off my list- very good.

Think it will do well if they deliver same experience due to built in Bkyln/SI crowd around here, esp in Colts Neck.

The bk menu looks pretty good. Prices seems fair overall but then I see 65.00 lobster tails with no description at all.

Also, no antipast? (Cold)

Just catching up:

Panarea was great, good call notjr. (yes, Page Ave)

Basilles is well worth the try for pizza in Middletown, great crust, and good ingredients. Their square is the star of the show for me, but it is not as big and thick as a typical Sicilian slice. A bit of a hike for the LS crowd but when I saw Palumbos mentioned I thought you meant the Holmdel store of the same name. Now I see that was wrong.

I wish Gargiulos well. Coney Island became a very large catering hall and I’ve been to some good events there but have not eaten in the restaurant in many years.

1 Like

There were a couple well dressed men outside while passing on my way home so I pulled over to inquire about a grand opening date:

“We don’t know yet” is the official response!

1 Like

Looking very much forward to this! Don’t get me started on how much Angelica’s is over rated, over priced and over hyped…

Welcome aboard nj guy. This is a great place to talk about anything food related. May I ask how you found out about the site? I think you will like it here.

(Moderators Note: The conversation about favorite Monmouth County Pizza places has been broken off into a new thread please continue the conversation here:

Hello!!! My daughter actually sent me a screen shot of the one of the above posts… which was sent to her and so on and so on… This is my first rodeo on a site like this… I always said I wanted to do the Yelp thing… but this looks better already! and very local.

We are from the Lincroft area and get out a bit (not as much as we would like), but now have a good avenue to provide our thoughts on places we visit! I try to stay away from chains and support local /privately held and Mom & Pop type of places…

Quick Summary of recent activity - just for reference - not to be continued here…:

1. Angelicas - Went for first time on Sunday - Will be the last time - maybe an off nite, but the list of very basic things that were questionable was just too long to give my hard earned $$ to ever again…

2. Zoni’s Pizza on 35 in Middletown - Fantastic!

3. Attilios’s in Lincroft - My opinion - The best Plain pizza in the world (Not too thick, not too thin, chewy crust, sweet sauce with lotsa cheese)

4. Subs - Italian - Joyces in Lincroft - The Best! - Go for the #4… they don’t use Boards head… but they are very thick, soft bread, ample amounts of oil and vinegar… and not too pricey! 2nd Best is Shoprite in Middletown - yep - Shop Rite!!..

That’s it for now… Thanks for having me!

2 Likes