Funeral Repast - Newton or Sharon

Thank you. The short time frame from when we know when the luncheon would need to be held to the actual event is tight. I’ve been a caterer and I would want nothing to do with such a situation.

4 Likes

Thank you. My knowledge of MA geography is limited so I appreciate the landmarks. We are thinking there will be about 50 people so it looks like the private room will be too small and unless we luck out and the funeral is M-W the main dining room will be in use. Their menu does look really nice though.

3 Likes

Yeah, wouldn’t fit 50. We had 25ish, with some tables in the back of the room and a buffet table of mistly apps along the side that they continually refreshed, and 2 waitstaff getting drinks. So some standing room with some seating as well as sesting right outside the private room that they left open for us, but not enough for 50.

Good luck to you.

2 Likes

Not morbid at all. Just realistic/practical. I appreciate people like you. Good luck finding a venue.

5 Likes

Just had a thought…maybe check with the temples in Sharon. I’m sure they’ve dealt with situations like this before and can hopefully give some recommendations that can accommodate.

6 Likes

Not in Sharon or Newton, but Northern Spy in neighboring town (to Sharon) Canton has nice food, hosts private events, and has easy parking/serene environment. The grounds have historical interest, which might be a welcome distraction for the attendees.

We’ve had good meals there but haven’t been since…well, without looking at my previous posts, a long while, but post-Covid. I’ve been to Union Straw and although Northern Spy is casual, it’s a tiny bit more upscale than Union Straw.

One other consideration…if the funeral occurs on a Sunday when the Pats have a home game, you don’t want to be anywhere near Sharon-Canton-Foxboro. Traffic will be nutz.

ETA: Looked up my old posts. Last time we went was in 2022.

4 Likes

My sister is a member of a temple in Belmont, which my aunt would often attend with her, I think that will be our backup plan. We already have a funeral home selected and they did not really come up with anything. I’ll take a look at places in Sharon. Thanks

1 Like

I don’t think anyone thought of this. Unfortunately, Sunday would be the"best" day to give people time to travel without having to take too much time off. My aunt would probably love it if there was a game - she is a HUGE patriots fan. The only team she likes better are the Celtics.

3 Likes

I love this. :four_leaf_clover:

Wishing your aunt a peaceful time in her waning days. Keep consulting us, please. Let’s give her the sendoff that she deserves!

ETA: You probably already know, but you might have better luck with restaurants in Newton. The Sharon area tends to be a bit of a wasteland in terms of good food.

4 Likes

Thank you! My aunt’s favorite restaurant is in Newton. I sent them an email but haven’t heard back yet. But I’ll keep the lack of “food” in Sharon in mind.

2 Likes

Watertown is one town over from Newton. It might be worth contacting Branch Line (branchlinearsenal.com), though the time frame might be too tricky for them.

Perhaps could also try Moldova (https://www.tastemoldova.com/) in Newton with same caveat?

1 Like

A grocery deli or Costco could probably have food ready for pickup within that timeframe. Does the area perhaps have a community center/Senior Center with rental rooms?

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions. Branch Line looks interesting but they require a minimum of 3 days notice which may not work for us. I love the menu of Taste of Moldava but I don’t think it will go over well the rest of the crowd.

1 Like

I have the name of a deli in Newton my aunt liked and would use them if we go with a room and outside food. I would prefer to have an all-inclusive restaurant setting so as to not have to deal with setting up, serving and cleaning while handling the details of the funeral.

4 Likes

It’s hard to tell from websites and individual tastes, but both had theoretical room for capacity at lunchtime, so I figured it was worth trying. Another possibility would be Sichuan Gourmet House in Newton Highlands. I stop by relatively frequently on Thursdays for lunch (other spots include Mulan in Waltham, which probably gets too busy to add +50 people; also Dumpling House, which I think is too small), but SGH might be able (I didn’t count seats) to accommodate you. It might possibly be worth stopping by and talking in person. Many dishes might be too spicy (not typical Americanized cuisine), so crowd may frown upon. Another entirely different route if non-kosher could be Joyful Garden in Watertown for dim sum and other–definitely capacity and possibly crowd-pleasing.

Condolences, and best wishes.

2 Likes

I used to go to Bakers Best all the time for catering lunches and receptions. Good, reliable, excellent in food and presentation. I’m not sure if they have facilities, we used to pick or and they also deliver. They are in Newtonville.

3 Likes

Thank you very much. I will add this to my list.

Bakers Best is very good, and would be very appropriate for a Jewish funeral. They are in Needham now (used to have a storefront in Newton Highlands for many years), and have some kind of facility there but I’m not sure how big.

2 Likes

Thank you again for all your suggestions. My aunt passed away peacefully on 11/18. We ended up have the Shiva meal at my sister’s house in Arlington. When we started our planning, she could not commit to having it as her H is undergoing cancer treatment and didn’t know how he’d feel on any given day. It turns out he has responded better than expected and so she was ok with having company (though he left to limit exposure).

We had the meal catered by Barry’s Village Deli in Newton. It was one of her favorites and they did a lovely job.

Some of the places mentioned looked good so I’m keeping the list for another time.

16 Likes

Thanks for the update! Sounds perfect on so many levels.

4 Likes