Fromagerie reboot now The Rumson House

Only a month ago Rumson House announced they were closing for renovations and reopening as Rumson Steakhouse.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=514884669272882&id=379686959459321&substory_index=0

They even posted pics of the renovations.

3 Likes

I actually noticed that on Open Table a cpl weeks ago, but no explanation was given and still listed as “Rumson House” in description. If someplace as well known as Il Mulino was coming aboard would be good to get that out there into the ether…

I tend to think it is more believable that the current owners are trying to reboot as a steakhouse. I would be thrilled to have a genuine Il Mulino that is of the same quality as the one in NY on W 3rd St. but it just seems less likely.

1 Like

prob- people tend to think steak = easy way to jack up prices. Given the presence of Gabriellas though I wonder if that is really best course these days?

Does anyone have any idea what is next for this property?

1 Like

Just looked at their website. Makes
No mention of the steakhouse try. Yelp says they are temp closed until Jan. Thier Twitter is still under fromagerie name and nothing since 2018. Facebook nothing since sept and no mention of temp closure Lasting past Sept. Did they open up and then fold or did they just never reopen? Their IG appears to be down or a dead link. I’m going to say this is Not a priority for the owners or any competent front of house. Thier social presence is the stuff of Greg’s nightmares. Rumson really has little outside of SUrf, SCG, and BB I suppose. Oh and Brennan’s.
What an inglorious slide from what was at one point a top notch spot under its previous long standing iteration as I understand it.

1 Like

Perfectly stated!

2 Likes

Rumson also has Ristorante Giorgia, which is almost always fully booked.

1 Like

I stand corrected!

1 Like

And undici which I’m going to tonight. Not my choice but very convenient for our friends.

1 Like

Undici was really nice last night. Very festive and everything we ordered got mostly thumbs up from the crowd. We split a play on Cesar salad which was very nice and a cured meat board for apps. I got buccatini in a red sauce. Well done, but nothing too wild. The only dish that didn’t get a good review was the short ribs which was a small, very fatty portion. Service was professional. I really wish places would print the specials if they have more than 2!!!

3 Likes

Undici’s food is pretty good, but IMHO not worth the prices charged. Definitely pay a premium due to proximity to wealth. Great space too. I go, maybe only a couple of times a year, and without the kids in tow to keep cost down. Margherita pizza $21. Arancini appy $18. Caesar salad $17.50. Plain ravioli $28. Really egregious. More power to 'em I guess, they really pack in that Rumson/Fair Haven crowd.

2 Likes

Yes, totally overpriced. It was $250 (pre tip) for 4 of us which included a bottle of wine and 2 extra glasses, 2 apps, 4 entrees, no dessert. But, it was packed and people are obviously paying it.

1 Like

Full disclosure…live in Fair Haven and we do go there once in a while (eat at bar normally) but to be honest most of the crowd I have seen sitting down (especially in summertime) is not your normal Rumson/FH crowd…definitely a different vibe that you don’t normally see when going about your day to day business in these 2 towns…at least in my opinion

3 Likes

will just state still no update from FB- apparently previously stated it was to be Jan reopen- gonna be cutting it close.
also- website appears to be down as well…so that’s not good sign.

3 Likes