Fromagerie reboot now The Rumson House

I have found that avoiding “brunch” altogether is a key component to happiness. The bottomless mimosa is perfect representation of an infinite well of sorrow. Brunch has been co-opted by the millennial crowd anyway, drinking in their pj pants deferring adulthood while spreading Nutella on their avocado toast.

3 Likes

I tend to agree to you, 99% of brunches are simply nothing more than pantry clean-outs. Take whatever is left from the week and serve it before it gets bad, but finding that 1% like the Molly Pitcher makes the risk vs reward worthwhile.

We went into this hoping for the 1% experience but instead received a bottom 10% experience. Had upon leaving the sign said “The Hampton Inn” and this was a FREE hotel breakfast buffet it would receive praise. Instead where The Fromagerie sign used to sit says The Rumson House and all the happy memories of The Fromagerie is being washed away down the sewer with the rain water.

3 Likes

Agree with all comments above about having no need to go to brunches. One exception, for us, was brunch at Ollie Klein’s. We went in early September last year, after the tourists went home. The food quality was well above your average brunch fare and you can’t beat the atmosphere outside. In addition to the usual stuff was a small amount of sushi and an Asian noodle stir fry, both refreshed frequently. A pleasant surprise. I hope to get back there in the spring or next local summer.

1 Like

Molly Pitcher really is the exception to the rule sadly…the Short Hills Hilton used to put out a great spread when I was a wee one, not sure if that’s still the case- but that used to be a go to spot for my fam back in the day…bit far I know but some Ho’s are up North.

3 Likes

This HO used to be up north, and you’re right-the Short Hills Hilton did used to have a terrific brunch! I bet I haven’t been there in over a decade… No idea if they still do it. I think they did a high tea as well…

1 Like

Prob been 20 years for me. Funny one day they were booked up for the holiday we wanted to attend so we headed to a Hilton in Woodbridge instead, thought was it’s a Hilton how much different can it be. Well it was one of the worst brunches I’ve ever been to, something akin to what Kicked off this thread bit with worse service. Though nobody chased us down yelling about fresh cooked frozen tots… that would have required something other than indifference

1 Like

Also blu grotto started up a brunch that sounded good. Been meaning to try that one day

1 Like

I thought I was the only person in the world that doesn’t like brunch.

Has anyone been to the salt creek brunch lately? It’s been a few years since I have been but I seem to recall it is better than their dinner and most brunches around here. I definitely know it’s spacious, comfortable, and it’s nice to be sitting on the river. The only time I ever go to brunches is for some kind of family gathering the day after a “get together”

1 Like

My main issue with brunch (and even breakfast out) is that i generally end up eating the same kind of food I eat at home! Many mornings as I’m putting my multi-veggie omelette on the plate, I say “and that’ll be $12.95 please…” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Of course, I’ll go (off-season) because it can be a fun social thing to do…

Aarzu’s brunch is the definite exception to this!

2 Likes

I rarely do brunch or breakfast, even at home. I tend to feel very uncomfortable all day when shoveling in food so early. That’s probably just me. Breakfast for me is usually just some coffee and lemon water. Maybe twice a week I will get a bagel.

Unless I am on vacation and a scrapple, egg, and cheese SUB calls!

2019-01-21%2022_39_24-Eating%20New%20Jersey%20(%40gcaggianohistory)%20%E2%80%A2%20Instagram%20photos%20and%20videos

But I do see your point. Hard to get a full breakfast meal under $10 around here, and breakfast is the cheapest meal of the day to assemble.

1 Like

This is such an oddly specific statement. Have you ever witnessed this scene? I don’t leave my house (I own) in my pajamas for any type of toast!

@NotJrvedivici I spoke to my friend who was also at brunch that day, but you likely missed her. She said they got there closer to 1. The food was not good but they kept the drinks coming and didn’t charge them extra for them. She said she isn’t in a hurry to return.

This is once of those situations when I was actually glad to have a witness, even if it was @seal to attest to just how crappy things were. The food was NOT good - it was average at BEST - and as I pointed on on the menu half the things they advertise they didn’t have.

It was just bad, bad, bad bad across the board. There was only one server on that day, she was actually very pleasant up until the check came and the $ 26. for two bloody mary’s were on there, she did get almost indignant at MY misunderstanding of the drink policy. Then obviously it continued as seal stayed behind to give the hostess his thoughts.

BAD !!!

3 Likes

The charge for the drinks is outrageous. And, then to argue with you about it is insane.

1 Like

We had dinner at Rumson House last night. We’d actually considered two other restaurant options which for differing reasons didn’t pan out. So, Mr. RBI suggested that we go to RH after he noticed that the menu included a Sauerbraten Short Rib.

Rereading the previous posts on this thread, I see that @NotJrvedivici and @seal have already been there, but for brunch. So, in essence, Mr. RBI and I took one for the team with regard to a regular meal. (Note: We had dinner twice at the reborn Fromagerie and were quite satisfied. I wrote a report about the first meal on that thread.)

Based on what the Sansones say on the website, their intent in making the name change and menu revamp was to change the perception of the restaurant as a place reserved for special occasions. To that end, aiming to give the dining room a less formal feel, they’ve eliminated the white tablecloths; otherwise, the room looks the same. Tables remain nicely spaced, chairs are still comfortable, and the music being played at a moderate volume was old standards. Our reservation was for 8:30 p.m. When we were seated, only one other table was occupied. No surprise to us on a Wednesday evening at that hour.

The bread basket brought to our table contained several kinds. We both chose the Sourdough Roll. No need to ask for butter. The two balls served were generous in size but rock hard – one of our restaurant pet peeves.

The Caesar salad prepared tableside was a favorite of ours on the Fromagerie menu. Happily, they’ve kept it. (It’s in the menu’s more expensive “Specialty” section, along with the Dover sole and the Tomahawk.) Funny thing is, it’s listed as “Gueridon Cesar.” So, while changing the restaurant’s French name in order to appeal to a wider dining public, they’re using French terminology (but without the French accent marks) here. We both chose to start the meal with it. Our server Richard did a fine job preparing it.

Guéridon Caesar

Caesar Salad

For the main course, we shared the above-mentioned Sauerbraten. Accompaniments were root vegetables, spätzle, and radish. Everything was well-prepared and flavorful.

Saurbraten Short Rib

For dessert, Mr. R. had vanilla and pistachio ice cream. I chose the Pear Tart which turned out to not be a tart. A small, muffin-like cake (not sure what the flavor was) in a pool of caramel was topped with slices of sautéed pears. Rather than the pistachio ice cream listed on the menu, I requested vanilla. Also on the side, a boatload of whipped cream. A pleasant dessert but not what I expected or preferred.

From the BTG list, Mr. R. ordered a glass of a Côte du Rhône. However, it was not available. Instead, Richard opened a new bottle of a different CdR.

The meal was properly paced. Service by Richard and other servers was professional.

Thumbs up to dinner at Rumson House! There are many other things on the menu we want to try. We’ll be back!

The complete photo set can be viewed on my Flickr here.

My Blog
My Flickr
My Instagram

5 Likes

I find it a bit curious that Molly Pitcher has so many fans here. On my one and only visit there about a year ago, I found it to be firmly mediocre. Not sure what it costs, but the fact that they can’t put out a proper roast beef was a big downer for me. I don’t know what it costs, but for a 30$ brunch I expect some prime rib or strip on the menu. They had skirt steak I believe that was marinated in some weird sweet sauce I didn’t care for. It was cool that they had pate, but it wasn’t particularly good.

All you can drink on the other hand makes it a whole different game, I think even if the food is mediocre, 35 bucks for an all you can drink BM station could be a good time. Not if I have to argue with the waitress about it though. They seem to have taken the bottomless drinks off the table though.

My favorite brunch personally is an all you can eat Indian buffet, it’s a great way to start and end your Sunday.

3 Likes

One word: AARZU.

2 Likes

Do we have a Brunch thread? Did Sunday brunch today at Salt Creek grille. I thought it was pretty good. They had really good prime rib and snow crab, plus first drink is free and mimosas are a dollar. Even if nothing else was on the menu that’s worth 35 bucks right there with the smoked salmon platter. As a matter of fact, that’s basically all I ate.

The only minus was that the shrimp cocktail were tiny and had a crappy texture. I didn’t try much else, but for those who enjoy eggs, they will make you eggs Benedict to order, which you don’t see often at brunch buffets. I had a way better time than any other Brunch buffet I’ve been to in the area other than perhaps the Mill in Spring Lake. But I don’t think they’re doing brunch any more.

1 Like

I think the last one I went to was on easter a few years ago. I ate all protein like you. I think they had a turkey and ham as well. I’m not a huge brunch guy but this is my spot for a local brunch every year or so. …or more. I don’t think this is a place for the butter warmers :laughing:

I don’t think this is a place for the butter warmers

Funny you mention that, I was telling my friends about how I know someone who brings butter warmers to buffets. They did not have butter for the crab there, you have to ask for it, and unfortunately after some time the butter solidifies. I was really wishing I had a butter warmer there with me!

And to each his own, but if you’re getting turkey or ham at a 35$ buffet, you’re doing it wrong! (Yes and they did have turkey and ham at the carving station)

1 Like

Trust me, the butter warmer makes a world of difference! Lol It really makes the China buffet worth going to. As for turkey and ham, a slice of each isn’t going to hurt anyone : )

1 Like