From Manchester to Penang: Tomorrow English Cafe

George Town’s newest eatery is one-week-old Tomorrow English Cafe on 8 Prangin Lane, off busy Carnarvon Street. It serves undoubtedly the best English breakfast in George Town. Manchester-educated owner-chef, Chew Qiu Qi (she just prefers to be called Qiu, pronounced “Q”), is passionate about her food - she cures her own bacon, a 3-week process which resulted in the best-tasting bacon this part of the world.

Owner-chef Qiu studied financial management at the Manchester Metropolitan University. Michael Coffee House there was her regular hangout, and she decided to replicate its offerings back here in Penang when she graduated and returned home.

Her pleasant sunny, plant-filled dining room is reminiscent of a conservatory.

Our breakfast orders this morning:

• 𝗧𝗼𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗿𝗼𝘄’𝘀 𝗦𝗶𝗴𝗻𝗮𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲 breakfast platter, which consisted of 2 fried free-range eggs, Lincolnshire sausage, streaky bacon, baked beans, grilled globe tomatoes, skillet potatoes and sautéed button mushrooms, served with Yorkshire pudding
    Bacon is one of my favorite food items in the world. And Chef Qiu’s own homemade bacon was marvelous, with a thickness greater than all others available in the market, and with its own texture and aroma.

• 𝗖𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗰 𝗙𝘂𝗹𝗹 𝗘𝗻𝗴𝗹𝗶𝘀𝗵 breakfast platter, which consisted of which consisted of 2 fried free-range eggs, Cumberland sausage, back bacon, Bury black pudding, baked beans, grilled globe tomatoes, skillet potatoes and sautéed button mushrooms, served with English bloomer & butter

• Sausage roll - nothing beats a freshly-baked sausage roll, and Chef Qiu bakes hers in small batches, to make sure one gets warm rolls with buttery crusts.
    It was absolutely delish, with all the requisite flavors - but, in a nod to the local palate, the use of sage has been dialed down here. One still detects the unmissable aroma of sage (and thyme) in the sausage meat, but it’s noticeably fainter. Chef Qiu did mention to me about this, as I’d told her that I’d come here to seek authentic British fare. This one’s perfectly delish.

• Pork pie - in another nod to local preferences, the pork pie here is served warm. Again, Chef Qiu prefers to bake her pies in small batches, so one gets those quite fresh.

I’ve just found my new favorite breakfast spot in town!

Address
Tomorrow English Cafe
8, Lorong Prangin (Prangin Lane), 10100 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Opening hours: 9am to 6pm, Wed to Sun. Closed on Mondays & Tuesdays.
No listed phone - queries to be directed via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/tomorrowenglishcafe

13 Likes

It’s good to see she’s not only gone home with a good education but also taken some of my culinary heritage with her. The “classic” breakfast is a bang-on version of how a northwest breakfast should look - with the curl to the Cumberland sausage (traditionally sold by length, not weight) and the black pudding from Bury, of course.

4 Likes

Tomorrow English Cafe now operates from a new address:

37, Lebuh Lembah Permai 1, 10200 Tanjung Bungah, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +6010465 3997
Operating hours: 8.30am to 8.30pm Tue to Sun. Closed on Mondays.

1 Like

Tomorrow English Cafe had its official opening party at its new location yesterday, inviting 70 of its regular clients.

The Manchester-educated Chew sisters outdid themselves, with a wonderful spread of English pies and pastries, scones, toffee pudding, and a whole host of other delicacies.

Coronation quiche

Aussie meat pies (left) and English pork pies (right)

Sausage rolls

Scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam

Sticky toffee pudding

Cheese and onion pies

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting

Address
Tomorrow English Cafe
37, Lebuh Lembah Permai 1, 10200 Tanjung Bungah, Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +6010465 3997
Operating hours: 8.30am to 8.30pm Tue to Sun. Closed on Mondays.

7 Likes