Friday lunch in Boston MA with baby?

Many parents / restaurants do use an upside down high chair as a base for a car seat bucket. However this is actually a fairly dangerous practice.

Thanks to all for your ideas. We ended up at Eastern Standard and it was perfect. We went at 1:30 when the lunch crowd had largely cleared out and sat until the Red Sox fans started coming in. We ordered many things – my cousin’s husband is a serious swimmer, eats an astounding amount of food and is rail thin – so we got to try a lot and not worry about wasting food. :smile: And there were a number of new items on the menu since the last time I went which was fun. We shared the avocado toast (with sliced radish, hard-boiled egg and Aleppo pepper) which for something essentially so simple was astonishingly good; the roasted bone marrow, which came with a shallot-parsley salad and toasted breadcrumbs on top, gentlemen’s relish and crispy toasted bread; steak tartar which was as fabulous as it always it and came with toasted slices of a different bread than the bone marrow; foie gras terrine with chopped toasted hazelnuts and tiny golden raisins with a third kind of toasted bread, this one a slightly sweet brown bread. The foie terrine was spectacular and spectacularly rich, the hazelnuts providing lovely textural contrast. The roasted bone marrow, on the other hand, to me did not benefit from the crispy crumbs on top although I did like the salad. They shared 6 oysters (2 each from Falmouth, Duxbury and Damariscotta) and loved them. Then my cousin got the house-made pasta with green garlic and hen of the woods mushrooms (absolutely amazing, have not stopped thinking about it) and her husband and I each got the rare tuna salade nicoise which to me was by far the weakest part of the meal although in fairness I was full by then. Service was, as always, lovely. There was some glitch with the oysters – we asked about them a couple of times – and they eventually came when we were done with the other apps, delivered by the manager with an apology. They also comped us a plate of grilled asparagus with our mains by way of further apology which was very nice. Tons of food but consumed over a period of 3 hours. And no need for dinner! And the baby slept for most of the time and was very quiet and contented the rest of the time. I have no idea why I don’t go to ESK more often, I am always so happy when I do.

3 Likes

Awesome report, Gretchen. Thanks for taking the time to write it up!

1 Like