French food in [Toronto]

Ref: La Brehandaise
Due to relatively close proximity from my house, I gave that a try a while back!
In addition to the miscellaneous stuff/pastries I bought ( For the latter, the cheaper and closer to home DUO versions are better! ). For $40, I also splurged and bought a container of Mash potato and Boeuf Bourguignon. For the price…TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT! Product with the sad looking sauce lacked visual appeal, the beef lacking complexity in taste… more like a ho-hum domestic beef stew prepared half-heartedly!
Before buying, I should have been aware of some of the ’ warning signal '…Packaged ‘Thai style (??) Pork Shoulder’ and ’ Indian Butter Chicken ’ in a French Emporium?!
Surprisingly, packaged prepared food by Pusateri’s taste better and better value too!

2 Likes

So sad to hear this!
I guess it’s not worth the trip to Richmond Hill!

Big fan of the quiche and crème caramel at Bakery Pompette (avoid the breakfast sandwich)

2 Likes

Enjoyed dinner at The Rosebud in Corktown the other evening. French technique and ingredients (roasted leeks, par exemple) with some twists (XO sauce with shrimp), and a good cocktail and wine list. The space is very cozy, but with a full house the sound level was not too loud.

https://www.rosebudto.com/

3 Likes

Going to see a friend play at the Linsmore Tavern gave us an excuse to finally try Taverne Tamblyn. Overall it’s a lovely neighbourhood bistro, with a casual setting and quality cooking. We’d like to return to try their Sunday brunch, since they appear to feature both oeufs meurette and oeufs en cocotte.

The wine list has some nice options and we went with three glasses:

• Pinot Gris, Grand Cru, Winzenberg, J.M. Sohler, Alsace, 2021 - pleasant with lemon, riper apple, broadly mineral, not super high acid.
  • Chinon, Honorine Pain, Loire, 2020 - earthy and smoky, good slight chill, nice and smooth.
  • Trousseau/Pinot ,“Rouge Ancestral”, Domaine Baud, Jura, 2020 - cherries and strawberries and a touch of smoke, light and soft tannins.

We started with the gougères - three puffy and airy delights, with melted cheese on top.

One of the specials was Leeks Vinaigrette: sweet from gentle poaching, with anchovy, soft boiled egg, a light vinaigrette,and little bits of chives.

Another special was the mussels with saffron, Dijon, white wine, butter - these were standouts, plump, just cooked and a flavourful broth that was not overly salted, perfect for mopping up with a ½ loaf of house made bread.

Continuing with specials, we tried the Langue de Veau & Canard Pot au Feu - I thought the tongue could have been cooked even longer to break down the collagen more, but my wife really liked it. The duck was moist and tender. It came with baby turnip, zucchini, potato, and a mustard sauce. The broth was nice, but a bit undersalted.

For our other main, we went with the beef bourguignon, which featured a single hunk of beautifully braised short rib with carrot, pearl onions, celery, mushroom and richly flavoured broth.

Because it was a first visit, we felt we had to sample the beef fat frites - crisp, tasty, and great for mopping up the various sauces.

We only had room for one dessert and split the apple tart with cider and chantilly cream - delicious carmelized edges.

4 Likes

I can totally go for this.

3 Likes

Love anything with ‘tongue’!..Tongue and DucK Pot au Feu! Interesting!
Presentation wise, the Boeuf Bourguignon looked a bit ‘weak’. Main thing is food tasted good!

1 Like

First time checking out Bicylette Food & Wine at Harbord & Manning and was blown away by the fair pricing and homely feel. Very small place but super personable and felt like a gem the social media crowd hasn’t discovered and hopefully won’t.

Partner and I each got a sandwich - his the Jambon Beurre ($14) and mine the Roast Beef ($15) and each came beautifully plated. Baguette was so fresh. Got two Fairweather craft beer cans ($6 each, they’re barely making money on those) to compliment.

Will absolutely be back! Sorry for the single photo but it didn’t feel like a spot to snap a bunch of pics, would have felt very noticeable and out of place.

2 Likes

So good.

Here was my Croque Monsieur in the fall.

2 Likes