"Foreign bodies" in American food

Yes and no . . . the FDA is a federally funded agency so funding changes, altering the number of inspectors/etc/etc/etc. But, theoretically the agency does randomly sample food products - both domestic and imported. They can also respond to public complaints/concerns. The reality of what gets tested, when, and how often I don’t really know . . . but the agency says it can be based on a wide range of factors including risk associated with product, past violations, manufacturer/importer history, routine surveillance . . . I have no idea how many products are tested in a given month or the range of what those products may be.

Is going to Taco Bell ever a good idea?

6 Likes

It has a special place in my heart that disappears when I eat there

6 Likes

Please may I steal this sentence for my future use? It may just be one of the best food put-downs ever. :grinning:

4 Likes

I had to do some googling on this because I was really curious as to the outcome of the suit. With all due respect to Hindu’s and all religions of the world, I found the basis of the suit to be frivolous as best. It’s an imperfect world and unfortunately mistakes happen, if he was getting take out from a vegetarian/vegan restaurant and walked out with a hamburger, ok that’s rather egregious considering you went out of your way to go to a non-meat restaurant. Taco Bell though? Cross contamination of some form is almost guaranteed in a fast food restaurant, so the “buyer be ware” rule would seem to apply here to me. (of course I’m not an attorney but I could play one on TV)

Anywho…it was a “confidential” sum, but he was seeking $ 144k in damages so I’ll assume it was something under that number.

I’m not so sure. In my minds eye, I don’t have you as a complete sleazeball.

(EDIT: that was a joke. I have a friend whp practices law in Kentucky)

1 Like

Definitely

He had to go to the Ganges and undergo purification rituals. In addition, he suffered a lot of mental anguish. This is not about logic.

I’m aware as indicated I read the article and subsequently did some more research. With that said it still doesn’t change my personal opinion that the suit was rather frivolous. No need to debate it, it was settled and he was compensated.

I agree with you.

1 Like

Thank god I’m an atheist! :wink:

5 Likes

That incident happened in 1998. Taco Bell fumbled its reaction, but today I think restaurants take food restrictions more seriously. Especially if English is a second language for one or both people involved, it’s not hard to imagine confusing bean and beef. The waiter in an Indian restaurant once misheard my request for chicken tikka masala as chicken tikka saag. Easy as well, but he was adamant that I had ordered saag, even though masala is probably the most common choice of Anglo-Saxon diners. The CTM was a lunch special, the tikka saag a larger portion at a higher price. So I ate and paid for the tikka saag, but my friend and I didn’t tip him because of how surly he had become.

1 Like

Although not seriously enough

And then there’s this:

There are just idiots everywhere and also careless people. You have to watch your back.

Here is an example from yesterday. I call my doctors office and leave a message on the voicemail for drug refills. I ask them to fill 2 prescriptions for me. A few hours later they called me and said the pharmacy will have them ready that afternoon.

I get there and they give me 3 of the other medications I’m on! So the two I need they don’t have and they have three ready that I didn’t need or ask for. I’m dead serious. How do you screw up so badly? People rely on medication to stay alive sometimes so this was pretty disturbing to me.

6 Likes

@Kalivs
The Burger King meat burger was incredible, they could be sued for that.

@corvette_johnny
In this case, can you take the prescription and go to another pharmacy? It is a wierd that a doctor is linked to a pharmacy. Doesn’t happen like this here. (Sorry about the non food talk.)

The doctor isn’t associated with any pharmacy. They just ask what pharmacy you want and the doctors office sends the prescription over signed by the doctor. That is how it works near me in NJ. Other states may work differently.

1 Like

I see. Here (France), prescription would be sent to you, and the patient chases after the pharmacies. Strange that your pharmacy didn’t place the order before asking you to go for the pickup.

Thanks for the clarification, let’s go back to food discussions.

1 Like

I’m gonna sit over here and throw a little shade…because you can buy eggs anywhere in Europe that have visible chicken poo on them, and vegetables at the marche that have mud still clinging to them, and game animals dripping blood into a pan on the counter under where theyre hanging (and the reminder from the butcher or volailler warning to be mindful of the buckshot that may be in the meat) all of which are shrugged at and written off as being food in its natural state.

I had (and still have) no issue with any of that, but I also will then not really take regulators all that seriously when they sniff imperiously at a few tiny fragments of exoskeleton in the flour and feign superiority.

2 Likes

I eat half as much meat as 30 yrs ago, but don’t see myself ever becoming vegetarian. I think the Impossible Whopper is delicious, my only quibble being that I would prefer a whole wheat or multigrain bun. Vegetarians who actively dislike the taste or texture of beef patties won’t enjoy the IW, which can easily fool the palate.

This burger costs more than the beef version, so unless there was a special promotion, customers were being additionally cheated.

1 Like