Foods You Crave When Getting Sick?

?? I have never heard of the apple juice when hungover… Just a weird craving you get or does it purportedly help somehow?

1 Like

Sorry, posted on wrong thread…
Replied to JR on ‘I’m Craving’ on his wild story…
xoxo

3 Likes

What?

Rarely sick…but crave tomato sandwiches with kettle chips smashed inside and lots of mayo…
Chicken noodle soup with a sleeve of saltines, butter, fresh garlic and jalapeños…

7up…and watching the best get well show…Price is Right.!!!

2 Likes

Love the smashed kettle chips idea. I used to do that on burgers.

2 Likes

Weird, but instant potatoes. Not real mashed potatoes. Or any potato with brown gravy from a fried chicken place, which is actually instant usually I think.

1 Like

Oh my god. I just noticed you wrote this. I was just about to add another thing I like when I am sick: canned fish (doesn’t have to be tuna). I think I like canned fish when I am sick for 2 reasons. First, no preparation. When I am sick, I really don’t want to cook or reduce cooking. Second, canned fish is usually mushy and soft which is easy to swallow and to digest.

1 Like

Not so good if it comes back the other way!!! Guess it depends what kind of sick!

1 Like

How come we have ground beef, ground pork, ground chicken, but not ground fish? That would be awesome.

1 Like

Texture…Canned tuna fish is more or less “ground” fish, but most other fish do not have the dense meaty consistency to stand up to being ground, they would just turn to mush.

1 Like

Damn it . I read this thread and now I have a cold . Not craving anything .

2 Likes

Thanks, your original post threw me.

2 Likes

try it on pb & j. salty-sweet crunchy delicious!

gotta try it on a tomato sanny now.

2 Likes

Me too - Spicy is one of the few flavors that seems appealing when I’m all stuffed up, and I swear that it helps calm my stomach.

1 Like

I can’t eat tomato sandwiches any other way…
Lots of mayo, vine ripened tomt’s…salt & pepper…bag of kettle chips…jalapeño ones are good on rye or sunflower bread…yum!

Report back…

1 Like

Try my tomt sandwich with mayo and kettle chips smashed inside with a big 7up…lots of crushed ice.

Turn on the Price is Right and you will be healed, my child, in no time!

Get well drummer boy.:hibiscus::palm_tree:

2 Likes

Spicy food does (often) increase my appetite, but it often makes me sick afterward (like more stomach pain…etc). In other words, good for my tongue, bad for my digestion system. Of course, I am only talking when I am sick.

1 Like

I don’t have a food craving that signals I’m about to get a cold, but I do have two other tells. First, snorting when I laugh. I never do this unless I’m a couple of days from a horrid head cold. Second, the day before I get a cold, my singing voice is ULTRA FABULOUS. Many opera singers attest to this phenomenon. I think it’s because your vocal cords are slightly swollen and therefore closer together. It sucks, though, because you are basically guaranteed to lose your voice entirely about three days after the day of glory, LOL!

Once I am actually sick, I want hot and sour soup and brown rice with lots of butter on it. Luckily these items are usually no more than a phone call or a few mouse clicks away!

2 Likes

I rarely get sick, but when I do, I crave seriously tart, brothy things, no real food.

Last time I was sick, I pulled a quart of chicken stock out of the freezer, simmered it, and added a handful of kimchee and a ton of the kimchee juice and it was so perfect. I ate it all the first day.

On the second day I was sick, I did the same thing, but with fermented kale kraut instead of kimchee. And then I was all better.

2 Likes

Well the closest we get to ground fish in the US is fish sticks or imitation crab (surimi) which is actually made from pollack.

But in Sweden, Norway and France they have Fiskbullar or Quenelles which are usually made from pike or other fresh water fish, and have a delicate and delicious flavor. They are usually served in a dill cream sauce with small potatoes in Scandinavia. And I have seen Jacques Pepin making them recently on his show. You see them often in Lyon.

2 Likes