Food Talk Central

What’s the difference? If I understand the function here correctly, you can mute any and all posts by certain posters.

So it’s like they don’t even exist. I LOVE it.

3 Likes

linguafood1m
What’s the difference?

Hence the smirk emoji.

Apparently you can also mute topics. Not sure how that will work, but if a tipping board ever appears I’ll be sure to find out.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, at this very moment in time, I strongly prefer no merger. Maybe if things settle down in the future on both sites, and the word “Chowhound” NEVER pops into anyone’s mind, that might be a good time to merge. As I see it, right now Hungry Onion is the “cool” group, hands down! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, durr. I blame my head cold for missing that.

Yah, topics, posters… I’m a fan.

3 Likes

great, this is designed with consideration!

Harters, I suspect that a primary problem for the CBS INTERACTIVE side of Chowhound’s current “make over” is directly linked to the astounding impact of “Ad-Blockers.” There is a truckload and a half of loosely similar sites going out of business as a direct result of not being able to produce their projected revenues for their advertisers simply because the “target audience” uses ad-blockers.

That said, I don’t like the “You’re so dumb you’ll never catch on” attitude of CBS in not making a FULL DISCLOSURE to Chowhound’s contributors about the problem instead of the Mickey Mouse game they are currently playing. A BIG question, to my way of thinking, is who will rack up all of the COPYRIGHT benefits of all of our contributions as participants of Chowhound for lo, these many years? To turn a phrase, “Food for thought.” I feel a serious case of indigestion coming on!

It’s possible the Chowhound platform didnt offer the facility. I’m really only familiar with Invision based boards where “ignore” is a standard function. You still see that an ignored person has made a post (which you can open if you wish) but you don’t see the content. A good tool if used very sparingly - if you ignore too many people, you can lose the sense of a thread .

1 Like

I suspect you’re right about the advert issue, Caroline. I’ve used an ad-blocker for ages. It used to kill most, but not all, of the adverts on CH. The sole benefit of the revamped version is that it works 100%. It is a problem that must affect all forums run on a commercial basis.

2 Likes

Regarding the site merging thing… unless we assume that both people started their sites purely out of the goodness of their hearts I think it’s kindof presumptuous to think they’d want to merge before they have time to see if either has the possibility of turning their site into something profitable. Just sayin’.

Well, this site’s owner has specified that the goal is to be non profit. The other site’s owner hates that idea.

3 Likes

Where do I find that “Mute” button?

I’m really not offended, but I find that his unnecessary use of the word totally distracts from whatever message he might be trying to deliver.

1 Like

Hey, ChemicalK – I have no idea if this person was formerly on CH. I don’t hang out on the “left coast” boards, either – unless I’m planning a trip to the area.

Sadly, muting a user only blocks notifications about his/her posts. You can still read his/her paranoid, idiotic drivel.

Might be time to put on that “grown-up” hat and just ignore the mofos '-D

2 Likes

It’s on the Preferences tab of your profile here on HO. As I said, I’m not a member of the other site, so I can’t be sure they have implemented it.

Aw shucks, I thought it might make the poster completely invisible. Gosh darn it!

1 Like

I don’t get offended by the language, but I do get tired of it. When someone is doing that habitually, my solution is to imagine (visually and auditorily) what they post as coming from some fictional character. “K” guy on Food Talk Central is Al Swearengen from Deadwood. Yeah, I’m easily amused.

2 Likes

I feel confident that no one here uses those words out loud or in their heads more times per day than I, but I don’t tend to use them on forums for the same reason I censor myself in a room full of people I don’t know well: it makes some folks very uncomfortable.

But I doubt an hour passes in my daily life… my kid complained of not having had the experience of learning any bad stuff on the playground.

4 Likes

It’ll be a great exercise in self-control '-D

2 Likes

Tell me about it!