Food(-related) Shopping

I found this page useful:

I took screenshots of the graphic to take to the Japanese shop nex time I go.

2 Likes

Wife bought this…now what?

1 Like

I gave this a try. Crunchy, spicy, garlicy bites of garlic scape. Works really well where you’d use pickled relish or briny condiments.

I enjoy it in chicken salad and added to dips. How would you use it?

1 Like

I only know it’s for making custard and pudding. Only needs to add milk.

Any other uses, anyone knows?

All you add is milk to make custard? I had no idea.

I like salty, spicy preserved radishes and mustards with plain porridge and soups I had in China. Do you eat risotto or polenta? Maybe eat this on the side as a light/simple meal?

Sometimes I blend this kind of thing with some oil and make a (dipping) sauce.

Some ideas from Bird’s site:

https://www.birdscustard.co.uk/

2 Likes

Great savory ideas. I like all of your ideas.

1 Like

Iconic British product, invented by Mr Bird in 1837 as Mrs Bird was allergic to eggs so was unable to eat custard made in the traditional way. My guess is that, for an overwhelming number of British cooks, this is how we now make custard. I don’t know of another use for it - but then I’ve never needed to look for another use.

2 Likes

Lesson learned! I had no idea. I’m wondering if the popularity of adding milk powder to baking recipes might be applied to this custard powder. It’s a rather large container.

I remember seeing it in use in some Chinese egg tarts recipes.

If you find an link example in your travels, pls share. Thanks @naf

Delicious, from Hong Kong trip.

2 Likes

Oh my, time to research!

1 Like

I have also seen this listed as an ingredient in the popular “pineapple” buns (Cantonese: bo lo bau) from Chinese bakeries. For those who’ve never had them, there’s no pineapple in it. The name refers to the buttery, sugar crust that is baked to a crackly golden brown that suits on top of the slightly sweet bun.

2 Likes

I think even the savoury turnip cake as well, custard powder is in use. I’ll have a look in my recipes folder tomorrow.

1 Like

The two referenced are really good.

The Momosan is a branded ramen from Chef Morimoto (Iron Chef), but produced by Sapporo Ichiban. Both the pork tonkatsu and the chicken were really good. Sapporo Ichiban is a popular Raman brand with a lot of flavors, so make sure you specifically get the Momosan one, not just any Sapporo Ichiban pork flavor. You can recognize it by Chef Morimoto’s giant face on the packaging. :sweat_smile:

Nissin’s Raoh line is their premium brand. I’ve only tried their tonkatsu, but have seen others refer to other flavors. I can only find tonkatsu where I am. :pensive: Ra-oh is a fancy reference to what they consider ramen-ou, or “king of ramen”. Again, Nissin makes lots of ramen, so look specifically for the Ra-oh line. You should be able to see the difference in price.

If you like non-soup based noodles, I also like several brands from Taiwan that are mixed noodles. The flavor pack is just a small tablespoon or two of flavoring sauce and oil. I like the mala, or spicy flavored sauces that are mixed with the boiled noodles. I add extra spice and crunch with spicy chili crisp, and it’s a nice lunch. It’s also a nice break from the sodium heavy ramen soups. There are tons of brands of this and most of these didn’t have English a labels, so hard for me to translate. I can try to grab some pictures next time. But don’t be afraid to experiment!

You can also make South African custard cookies. This is one recipe; there’s a ton out there.

2 Likes

The main use for Bird’s Custard powder in Canadian kitchens is Nanaimo bars, one of the 2 Canadian standards on cookie trays at Xmas and on Canada Day (the other being butter tarts).

I’ve never used Bird’s Custard Powder for anything other than Nanaimo bars.

2 Likes

I have had those treats in Toronto but had no idea how they are made. Thxs.

1 Like