Field to Table Sob Stories

That little horse has the cutest face I’ve ever seen.

He/she was so friendly - came right up to us and wanted to socialize.

2 Likes

Oh no! How do they compare in size?

1 Like

The pony was maybe 3+ feet tallish? The coyote was about as big as a dog. He was hanging way back, but obviously very curious. He took off before the pony did (in the opposite direction - towards home).

2 Likes

I should add the ending was happy. By the time we left, a neighbor was outside on the phone, watching in our direction as we waved, and presumably in touch with the owner about the horse. The next morning, the pony was back behind the fence where he/she belonged.

4 Likes

Lol . She was probably looking for carrots. Muffin the horse next door. If there wasn’t a fence between us . I’m sure she would be looking through the sliding door at me .

9 Likes

Dah little shet! Beautiful but they can get a bit snotty, depending on the horse. My uncle broke his hand on one.

I love animals. Over the years, it’s been little surprises like that that make me appreciate where I live. My dog got along so well with the neighbor’s barn cats; it was just harmonious. Miss my old pooch. Cattle got out, Midnite’s number came up. He just took control.

Deer in the yard (they are little shts in spring; but , I get it, they’re pretty hungry.) Cows, foxes, turkeys, even get snapping turtles from time to time. The deer are getting out of hand, though. If they had better meat, there’d be fewer around. I hit one this year. Glad I have insurance.

1 Like

A friend moved to Oregon from Alaska, where she’d moved in her early 20s. They got a beautiful rural house in Coquille, fruit trees and lots of greenery. One time they came home to find the back yard full of dead squirrels. They were horrified, wondering who’d poisoned them, until they realized the squirrels had been eating a bunch of plums that had fallen off the trees and fermented, and were passed out drunk.

11 Likes

Those squirrels! :rofl:

Our pooch scarfs up crabapples and she’s especially fond of any that have been on the ground long enough to ferment. She’s a big enough dog that there’s no discernible effect. I try to rake up the crabapples but some always get past me.

2 Likes

A couple of weeks ago something banging on my doggie door woke me up. I got up and turned on the light and opened the door, something large crashed over the fence.
By some miracle it managed to escape without taking my tomato plant with it. The next morning I went out to check and one of my garbage can was turned over. On closer inspection I found deep claw marks on it. I think a bear tried to carry it off and since in was full of nothing but crushed cans it must have been too heavy.

4 Likes

I think this may be the funniest thing I have read in a while.

So… at some point they all staggered up and wandered away? We’re they hooked, did it happen again? (I mean, humans don’t just get drink once and then stop…)

5 Likes

My wife tells stories of seeing drunk animals near where she grew up in South Africa.

2 Likes

I guess they did, I’m reluctant to ask, since picturing them in my mind waking up and staggering off is something I want to picture in my mind as the final scene.

I’ll ask her if the squirrels have returned for another bender.

2 Likes

A long time ago I saw a TV show- no idea at all what it was, but what I remember is elephants eating fermented fruit of some sort and then getting rowdy and grabbing the trunks of the trees and shaking the heck out of them, and there were monkeys in the trees hanging on for dear life, screaming, and thrashing back and forth. It was hilarious

1 Like

Better squirrels than drunken elephants… they could really mess up a garden. Or a house…

• Humans are not the only animals that get drunk. Birds that gorge on fermented berries and sap are known to fall out of trees and crash into windows. Elk that overdo it with rotting apples get stuck in trees. Moose wasted on overripe crab apples get tangled in swing sets, hammocks and even Christmas lights.

• Elephants, though, are the animal kingdom’s most well-known boozers. One scientific paper describes elephant trainers rewarding animals with beer and other alcoholic beverages, with one elephant in the 18th century said to have drunk 30 bottles of port a day. In 1974, a herd of 150 elephants in West Bengal, India, became intoxicated after breaking into a brewery, then went on a rampage that destroyed buildings and killed five people.

4 Likes

Ok . Deer Myths. I left day old chicken tacos , potato salad , a piece of skirt steak, and one chicken leg for snooper the raven tonight. Here comes one of Gabriella’s offspring to the pile . What’s left the chicken leg . No that’s not right. I’ll be picking up a watermelon tomorrow.

1 Like

Every fall the robins around here get wasted off the Mountain ash berries and their impaired flight patterns are a riot to watch. We used to see that with the cotoneasters out west, too.

3 Likes

After almost two years of trying to grow blueberries from little seedling bushes, I invested in a more mature plant for my yard this spring so that the other bush that was showing signs of regrowth would have a companion plant for any cross-pollination that is needed. The bush had a few buds and flowers and they started to form little baby berries in early to mid June, that is before the real worst part of the drought really started to stick and hit us (read: before the blueberry bushes got sun scorched with leaves burnt to a crisp). All those berries that were developing, I of course could not get a single baby berry. All the birds got to them before I did; but they did so kindly leave blueberry purple poo all over my white backyard fence panels.

5 Likes

I don’t know where you are, but our blueberries didn’t do very well this year thanks to some of the topsy-turvy weather in the Bay Area over the spring. As for birds, my wife covers all the bushes with this elaborate netting system once the first berries appear–they’re protected from the birds but we can get in under the nets to do the harvesting.

2 Likes