Fiction with food on the side

I put a hold on a Kindle copy of Goodbye Coast from my local library yesterday and the next thing I knew it was ready to borrow. Stayed up late reading it. One gets great recommendations here on HO.

3 Likes

Yes, I have watched it. My sister & I had them on our “must do” list last fall, but covid keeps putting the kibosh on our plans.

1 Like

I usually pre-order them. I was so excited to see he had a new book published and a little disappointed it wouldn’t include I.Q. , but it’s probably time to move on. At least it will have some food!

1 Like

I finished Goodbye Coastal. Others may have different opinions but I was a bit disappointed. Too many unlikeable characters and too violent for me.
I have the IQ book to read on my Kindle shelf.

I don’t know which one you mean, but I enjoyed all of them. I think there are about 5 IQ books. I am not into violence, but there be violence.

Well, it is of the hard boiled genre, and an iteration of Marlowe set in the present, so the unsavory people maybe resonate more disturbingly. We thought the author convincingly depicted Emmet’s and Marlowe’s inner workings – we understood who they are.

It’s the first one in the series. I plan to start reading it tonight.

From Science Fiction Author Robert Heinlein’s YA novel

Farmer in the Sky

Listen to this: For breakfast we had corn cakes with syrup and real butter, little sausages, real ham, strawberries with cream so thick I didn’t know what it was, tea, all the milk you could drink, tomato juice, honeydew melon, eggs—as many eggs as you wanted.

There was an open sugar bowl, too, but the salt shaker had a little sign on it: DON’T WASTE THE SALT.

There wasn’t any coffee, which I wouldn’t have noticed if George had not asked for it. There were other things missing, too, although I certainly didn’t notice it at the time. No tree fruits, for example—no apples, no pears, no oranges. But who cares when you can get strawberries and watermelon and pineapples and such? There were no tree nuts, too, but there were peanuts to burn.

Anything made out of wheat flour was a luxury, but you don’t miss it at first.

Lunch was choice of corn chowder or jellied consommĂ©, cheese soufflÈ, fried chicken, corned beef and cabbage, hominy grits with syrup, egg plant au gratin, little pearl onions scalloped with cucumbers, baked stuffed tomatoes, sweet potato surprise, German-fried Irish potatoes, tossed endive, coleslaw with sour cream, pineapple and cottage cheese with lettuce. Then there was peppermint ice cream, angel berry pie, frozen egg nog, raspberry ice, and three kinds of pudding—but I didn’t do too well on the desserts. I had tried to try everything, taking a little of this and a dab of that, and by the time desserts came along I was short on space. I guess I ate too much.

The cooking wasn’t fancy, about like Scout camp, but the food was so good you couldn’t ruin it. The service reminded me of camp, too—queuing up for servings, no table cloths, no napkins. And the dishes had to be washed; you couldn’t throw them away or burn them—they were imported from Earth and worth their weight in uranium
(The hero had just come from a food rationed Earth.)

Title widely available-- not in KU though

5 Likes

We started IQ, and almost right off the bat – page 94 – you’ll remember that Mr. Ide showed his food and cooking show chops:

“Isaiah stirred the mystery mud while Dodson chopped some vegetables and smashed a few garlic cloves with the back of a knife. ‘I’m a bad muthafucka in the kitchen,’ Dodson said. ‘Don’t even have to be soud food. My lasagna is of the planet. You ever seen that show Iron Chef? It’s like a contest, got these dudes called Iron Chefs. They like the Michael Jordans of the kitchen. They go up against thee other chefs from around the world, and they some bad muthafuckas too. So then they give ‘em a secret ingredient like ham hocks or corn on the cob and they gotta make four or five dishes with it. Cats is bad ass too. Them dudes make all kinds of crazy shit. Bobby Flay? That motherfucker can turn a soup bone into a birthday cake. I need to get on that show. I believe I could give Bobby a run for his money.’

“Dodson poured hot chicken broth into the roux, added the chicken, some cut-up chorizo, the garlic, a few spices, and what looked to be a dried leaf. Then he put in some rice, measuring the water by eye. . . .”

3 Likes

That’s a great piece of writing, will have to read the books.

I do not, but I will be so happy to go back. It does sound vaguely familiar and I do remember the food trucks.
I’ll stop there.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Learned about this partnership this morning. Ordered the book.

4 Likes

Food truck appears in second IQ book Righteous at page 44.

D&D’s DOWNHOME BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN.

Page 47:

"They sat on a bus bench, Isaiah with his three-piece that Deronda insisted he pay for, not even a discount.

"‘This is really good,’ Isaiah said. ‘Whose recipe’?

"'Deronda’s grandmother. See how crispy it is? After you got the coating on you let it sit ‘til it gets doughy.’

“‘I’ll remember that,’ Isaiah said, knowing he never made anything more complicated than a steak.”

3 Likes

From the third Joe Ide IQ book, Smoke, the food writing starts at page 67 where a mother in-law attempts to teach the reprobate son in-law how to be couth when he shows up for his first effort at respectable employment:

“They were in a booth at Denny’s looking over the menus. Gloria said, “When you’re with people from the office, don’t order anything that’s awkward to put in your mouth, makes your hands greasy or drips down your chin. Hamburgers, fried chicken, gravy, onion rings, burritos, tacos, French fries, maple syrup, wings, spaghetti or anything with sauce – and, oh yes, don’t order anything with the words hot, garlic, spicy, super, Southwest, ultimate, jalapenos or skillet in it, and never, ever order dessert.’

“The server arrived. Dodson said, ‘Could I please have a bowl of dry oatmeal , an empty glass of water, a side of Handi-Wips and a hazmat suit? And could I get that oatmeal medium rare? Thank you so much.’ Gloria said grilled chicken was a good choice. It came with zucchini and rice pilaf. Dodson had a few bites and wondered where the flavor went. Maybe they left it in the kitchen. Gloria didn’t let up.”

3 Likes

I just finished The Goodby Coast, thoroughly enjoyed it. I’ll be adding Joe Ide to my list. I’ve just started Kellerman’s City of the Dead. I’m sure there will be food in it.

1 Like

You are talking Jonathan Kellerman, correct? He does a great job writing about food in LA! Have really enjoyed his books.

Oh yeah! That was good. That MIL is a “mess”!

Yes, I just counted, I have read all 50 of his books. This will be 51. I read Faye and Jesse too.

2 Likes

Quite the family business! Do you have a favorite by Jonathan? Mine is the Butcher’s Theatre, set in Jerusalem.

1 Like

Nope, I can’t even remember what the last one I read was about. A senior person’s brain can only retain so much information.