Fiction with food on the side

So much great stuff here already … thank you everyone :slight_smile: :+1::+1::+1:

One that I have, but haven’t read. Fun is good!

I had posted that in the childhood book thread. Thanks for bringing the info over to this thread! It is really a lovely endeavor!

I came upon a food blogger who has many posts on this subject! If you’re looking for more good reads check it out:

https://maefood.blogspot.com/search/label/Food%20in%20Detective%20Fiction

2 Likes

Read review of *The Widows of Malabar Hill" by Sujata Massey"!

Amazon search, select Audible, click and done!

Does anyone have a quick tip about buying audible vs Kindle when you want to switch between the two?

Delmonico’s, the haute dining superstar of 1800s New York, was a recurring setting in Caleb Carr’s the Alienist. That novel is a fun pair to Delmonico’s chef Charles Rainhoffer’s cookbook “the Epicurean”, which is a window into the past (things like “alligator pears” aka avocados, a chapter on “cooking for invalids”, and ingredients largely extinct in contemporary American (maybe even French cooking)).

2 Likes

Yes! I was watching that on Netflix for awhile! Should I assume the book is better?

So interesting you mentioned Alligator Pears! I hadn’t heard that in awhile, and I’m always asking husband why he calls avacodos pears!

I haven’t seen the Netflix show. Based on your question, I’m not sure I’ll seek it out :slight_smile: Lots of audio books on this thread to try though!

It was okay. I just don’t have much patience with shows you have to watch for hours.

The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister.
Greedy Man in a Hungry World by Jay Rayner just finished. Great laughs.

1 Like

Tongue firmly planted:

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter!

Press Room
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold