Favorite lunches near these colleges in MA/RI/NH area?

Re: Dartmouth -

More upscale in the area would be the restaurant @ Simon Pearce in Quechee VT. I’ve never been but I know people who have and they liked it very much. google maps puts it at ~15 min drive from Dartmouth.

1 Like

I haven’t been in a while but Ali Baba Mediterranean Restaurant used to be great. It is within walking distance of RPI.

In Ithaca, how about Moosewood Restaurant?

1 Like

There’s only one basement place that I recall. It used to be the Bagel Basement when I was there, and now I think it’s that Base Camp place. But there might be other basement locations. Circa when was she there?

Have been. I don’t recall the food but the setting is gorgeous.

Is that the original Moosewood with the cookbook and all? That might be a fun foodie outing. And we don’t have any other recs for Troy, so awesome - thanks!

Tuk Tuk Hanover NH

1 Like

She graduated 2 years ago. I ate at Tuk Tuk last month while visiting the King Arthur store (worth a stop if you are a baker!!) across the river in Norwich.

2 Likes

Taberna de Haro is in Brookline and is indeed very close to Kenmore in Boston. Open only for dinner and not on Sunday. I haven’t been there in a few years. Last visit was really fun…feels like you are in Spain…and the food is good.

1 Like

That’s the one! We haven’t been there in a while either but I hear the food hasn’t changed in 40 years though the trappings have gotten much more upscale, as well as more commercial.

Funny the other King Arthur school (don’t know if there is a store) is only 20 miles from my home on the west coast.

1 Like

Forgot to mention that there is now a second Tuk Tuk in Lebanon, NH. Larger and with a similar menu but with an extensive selection of sushi. I have not been.

Sure is! I forgot about this option. It has historic value. Personally, their food is pretty close to what I cook at home all the time since I grew up with a hippie vegetarian mom who worshipped Moosewood. I therefore never chose it for my limited budget for meals out when I lived in Ithaca, but definitely the authentic article.

2 Likes

I’ve never been to Ithaca, but I am familiar with the evolution of the published cookbooks. My senior year in college in Cambridge, MA, 1976-77, I lived in a coop where each of us cooked dinner several times a month, and we took turns baking bread. Lots of students then were vegetarian, though not always exclusively, and there were lots of vegetarian options in local restaurants that seemed to have disappeared or diminished soon after that, along with a certain strain of feminism. We used the Moosehead and the Vegetarian Epicure cookbooks frequently. I learned to make falafel, moussaka, spanokopita, enchiladas, some Eastern European dishes, etc., then.

When I started graduate school at Stanford a couple of years later, lots of us in my program cooked vegetarian meals from those cookbooks, although there were only a few students who were exclusively vegetarian. The Moosewood cookbooks always had an international influence, which we all loved and appreciated. As the years went by, the Moosewood cookbooks continued the international focus, but switched to greatly reduced dairy/calories, sometimes cutting out the dairy and calories in the original recipes by half if not more.

I love comparing my original Moosewood Cookbook to later editions. I always assumed the restaurant would have gone through the same evolution…very different from early 1970s, but since I’ve never been, I have no idea!

3 Likes

How interesting! I spent a lot of time in Cambridge/Harvard Square growing up as my grandparents lived off of Mt Auburn Street, across from Mt Auburn Hospital. In fact I was just there a couple of weeks ago. The square is soooo different.

I have 3 Moosewood cookbooks though the oldest was published in the mid-90’s. I may have to look for some older ones to compare. I sometimes think I ate at the original Moosewood when visiting a friend who lived in Ithaca. It was definitely a vegetarian restaurant and in a mall. I am sure I was pretty high at the time so the details are hazy and it was longer ago than I care to admit. Maybe I’ll just say I was there since it makes for a good story.

3 Likes

I have the one that was published in 1977 (which is apparently a revised version of the original cookbook that was self-published as a spiral-bound volume in 1974) and the 15th birthday edition that was published in 1992. Mollie Katzen says she retested and rewrote all the recipes for the 1992 edition. The restaurant appears to still be located in its original location in the Dewitt Mall in Ithaca.

Yes, Harvard Square is basically unrecognizable now…changed so much, and almost none of it for the better!

2 Likes

I like Geoff’s Sandwiches on S Main - a few blocks from campus but always a good lunch (with lots of veg options, if that’s a thing in your family)

1 Like

I had a few more thoughts for the Boston leg of the trip:
BC is right near the Chestnut Hill Mall and nearby shopping centers.
The Friendly Toast (breakfast all day) is a local chain, but one of our favorites.
Tokyo Japanese Steak House has good and fun hibachi
There is a Frank Pepe’s pizza across from Tokyo, but maybe go to the original one in New Haven.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

We love the Friendly Toast. Last went in December. Large and varied menu. Open until 3 weekdays, later on weekends. Great breakfast/brunch/lunch. House made bread (we love the cayenne cheddar). I think OP is visiting BU and Northeastern, so the nearest location would be the Back Bay location in Boston, about a 5 to 10 minute drive from Northeastern.
75 Stanhope St, near Back Bay station.
https://www.thefriendlytoast.com/back-bay-boston

2 Likes

Whoops, you’re right - I misremembered which B-school was on the list, and I drove past BC yesterday so that appeared in my mind!

1 Like