Esposito's (Matawan, NJ)

There’s also an Esposito’s in Manasquan. The food is good. It is one of our 2 go-to local pizza joints. I use the term pizza joint, even though we often order their entrees, since that is really what it is and the service level is at that level.

I especially like the #5 Sesame Crust Pizza - Mozzarella, provolone, pesto, roasted pork loin and broccoli rabe - and the Sicilian Calamari - Fried calamari with a spicy pepper and onion relish. If you get the calamari delivered make sure you ask for the relish on the side so the calamari doesn’t get soggy.

3 Likes

The December “Route 34 Shopper” has an ad from Esposito’s on the inside front cover saying, “Watch for Our Grand Opening in Our New Location Formerly Known as Peter’s Fishery”. One can conclude two things from this: 1) They are indeed moving, and 2) Pride of the Sea has become a “non-restaurant” in the great Soviet tradition.

2 Likes

Saw the same as we just had got home from there and had great service and pizza!

2 Likes

There is now a sign up on the new property announcing the move.

And now the old “Pride of the Sea” signs are gone, replaced by signs for Esposito’s. We’re getting closer to it opening, but restaurant openings are notoriously slow.

Esposito’s in Matawan seems to be in their new location (olld Peter’s Fishery and the restaurant whose name we dare not speak)–there are “OPEN” signs up in the lot, etc., but there is noting on their Facebook or website saying so.

1 Like

Does anyone know what’s going on at the old location of Esposito’s, or what it will eventually be?

I heard a seafood place called Pride of the Sea II is moving in. Careful though, word on the street is the owner is a bit temperamental.

5 Likes

I thought it was going to be peters house of crabs and steak

2 Likes

I heard that it is going to be a burrito place and they are calling it Espurrito’s. LOL.

2 Likes

They have a liquor license and will only serve Titos

2 Likes

Mom’s birthday tonight and she just wanted to stay in, so we got takeout from Esposito’s. We had not ordered from here a while and our last visit (the start of this thread) was two years ago. She loves their Bolognese, so she had that with rigatoni. BF had a calzone with pepperoni and black olives. I had Chicken Murphy. The hot peppers gave it a nice zing, but would ask for spicier next time. Pasta AND potatoes together. Carbs, carbs, carbs!

Only pics of my dish. Huge portion. I’m almost embarrassed to admit I polished off the whole thing…and lots of bread. The downside of a garlicky sauce.

As Covid changed the way we do takeout (we literally just do pizza, Chinese, and Indian now because Italian dinners and pizzeria sandwiches always end up just mediocre and Justin and I can cook almost anything better anyway), I was skeptical, but I ended up really enjoying my dish. The pasta was VERY al dente but I’d rather that than mush. Both dinners came with salads and bread.

When picking up, they had a decent crowd in the dining room. Their new location (the old Matawan Insane Asylum, err, excuse me, Pride of the Sea) is nice but very bright. Couldn’t imagine dining there with multiple glasses of wine and sitting in such a bright light. But we eat out so rarely now anyway. Would do takeout again. Prices more than reasonable.

4 Likes

Are they still doing the drive up takeout thing? One of the few covid conveniences. Glad you all enjoyed your meals.

@gracieggg Esposito’s website says they’re doing dine-in, delivery, and take-out.

Actually, their “new location” is about 10 miles south on Rt. 34 in Colts Neck - the old Thai restaurant across from Delicious Orchards is their “newest location”. Looking forward to giving them a try.

1 Like

I meant if they still do the drive up takeout. It was great. You don’t even get out of your car. Super helpful with kids!

I believe most places have done away with curb side delivery. You have to go in to pick it up.

1 Like

I’m not sure but I don’t think so. They do have a separate side entrance for takeout pickup, though.

2 Likes

Does anyone know what’s going on with their old location (diagonally across the intersection, where the original Peter’s Fishery used to be)?

I’ve only ever been to the Manasquan location and they have discontinued bringing your food out to the car. In addition to eat in, they do pick up and delivery though delivery usually takes at least double the time, even factoring in drive time for me.

1 Like