Elsie Sub Shop Red Bank NJ

I like the beef on weck sandwich they pre-make at Wegman’s.

As for sandwiches in Red Bank now that Readie’s is gone, I’ve been eating too much at Shapiro’s, The Cheese Cave, and Monmouth Meats lately.

2 Likes

Greg, I enjoy your reviews and commentary here, but I have to take issue with going to a “sub shop” for a “damn turkey sandwich” and then complaining about the standard sub spice being on it. Not seeing that as team Elsie’s strike. The turkey/cran is absolutely a juicy sub. The plastic bag makes it manageable. (I can’t believe I just typed those words as I struggle to reduce use of plastic.) Throwing pickled peppers on it of course will add wetness. Again, not team Elsie’s strike. You first said the sub was “delicious.” Then you said you did not like it one bit and then it warmed on you. You say Elsie’s screwed up your damn turkey sandwich. I don’t see how when they served you exactly what you ordered. You blame them for your mistakes.

About Justin’s sub, you can’t have that amount of pepperoni and not have excessive grease.

About Elsie’s, I used to go there regularly back in the day for their turkey and cranberry. I don’t get into RB that often anymore. Recently, I was at a nail salon across the street and stopped to check the place out. While it is a little skeevy, so are many of our favorite haunts. The old-world charm remains. I asked if they had whole wheat bread and the counterperson went into the back and brought out a loaf for me. Don’t know where they got it, but it was soft and delicious. The turkey and cranberry was every bit as good as back when. Oh, and the counterperson wore gloves.

1 Like

I see your points, and while I agree that the ingredients would make my sandwich a wet sub, the amount of water actually dripping off was ludicrous. I should have taken a picture of it. The bread became so soggy that it nearly fell apart. Worse than I have ever experienced, and I usually get veggies and oil/vinegar on my subs.

I guess we will agree to disagree and leave it at that.

2 Likes