Dungeness Crabs! It's time!

Cracked crab , melted butter, or not . Beer . Haven’t had this in a long while.

$9.99 a pound live, at County Square today. $3.00 more a pound than last year, and more lines of course. I hope someone or something is benefitting.

Six crabs weighed 11.3 pounds.

The socially distanced line. Sort of.

2 Likes

Product of US or Canada? It doesn’t have to be precise?

I guess the crabs don’t know which side of the border they are from!

JK.

I’m going to look into it, but to a certain extent, I thought that area of the Pacific agreed on certain rules. So far I just found US stuff.

I fall back on Monterey Bay Seafood Watch.
Crab-Dungeness-British-Columbia-and-United-States.pdf (955.1 KB)

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

More crab stock recipes

That one says “The top shell, called the carapace, of all species of crabs offers little flavor other than that from the greenish brown tomalley you will find tucked in the interior. The head sac attached to the carapace, behind the face of the crab, is inedible and should not be added to stock. So I remove the tomalley to add to the stock for extra flavor and discard the carapace.”, while another says carpace has flavor.

This one cooks the crab in the stock and uses both in soup.

Does anyone know why they usually have a tomato product and white wine?

More crab ideas.

I followed the recipe except I used chicken stock instead of water. I didn’t include the carapaces because I had plenty of shells.

2 Likes

Sounds tasty! Do you have plans for it? Oh, that’s right! Bisque! Always reminds me of one of my favorite Seinfeld lines in the "Yada Yada " episode. Elaine says “I mentioned the bisque.”

Because they tried it once with green beans and Sunny-D and realized what a mistake that was? :smile:

1 Like

Roast Garlic Crab

8 Likes

Yes bisque, but I made a lot so other suggestions are appreciated.

2 Likes

Oh, that looks divine. I left one crab whole before I froze it so I will definitely be giving this a try.

1 Like

Very messy, but very good!

2 Likes

Over the weekend I picked up live dungeness crab at Berkeley Bowl West. They don’t have live ones at the original BB. But at west they do. $10.99 per lb.

Did a crab boil at home on Saturday evening and the crabs were great!

4 Likes

East Bay folks: Just saw live Dungeness for $6.99/lb at Mei Mei Chinese Market on Castro Valley Blvd. my first time in this new market; it’s quite smaller than the main asian markets but good quality meats & seafoods.

4 Likes

Got a 2.5lb crab at Sincere Seafood in Housewives Market, Oakland. S7.99.

3 Likes

That’s right by me! I should check it out. Will they prep it for you?

Crab cakes!
From

l
Theirs

Mine

Well, it tastes good!

9 Likes