Does Your Local Market Prohibit Dogs? [SF Bay Area]

Why would a cat want to maul one of its slaves?

3 Likes

People who choose to associate with dogs should certainly be allowed to do so. People who prefer not to associate with dogs should be able not to do so. The way society reconciles these two things is by restricting where dogs can go, and requiring that they be restrained in many of the places where they are allowed.

Dog activists in San Francisco want to throw this compromise out the window, and allow dog owners to force everyone else to associate with their animals. Forgive me if I am less than enthused about this agenda.

4 Likes

My pet peeve is negligent or bad dog owners. The ones who neglect their animals, don’t clean up after them, leave them outside barking and annoying neighbors (I am the first one to call the cops). What I see on this thread is a broad brush being used to crab about and malign all dog owners, the majority of whom are diligent about keeping their pets from doing annoying things like lick produce at the farmers matket. As far as dogs attacking people, it’s a very tiny fraction who are owned by evil people. Most dogs might want to lick people, which I understand some find annoying, NOT bite them

No one is forcing you to interact with their dog. People in SF just want to be able to take their dog to the beach which is something suddenly being taken away from
them.

Actually, I’m forced to interact with people’s dogs all the time. Like the dog who jumped up on my daughter in her stroller at Alemany Farmer’s Market. Like the jerk with the pit bull that I constantly have to avoid because his dog growls and pulls against his leash. Like the dude with the giant lab that while, probably harmless, is never on a leash and his owner walks/ runs him by my house 3 times a day. My 3 year old is terrified.

2 Likes

And don’t get me started on the “responsible owners” at Ocean Beach. Ugh

I’m no germophobe, but I do not appreciate being licked by a random stranger’s dog, especially just after they’ve licked another dog’s anus (or their own) or lapped up the remnants of some road kill from the pavement.

Can we stick to talking about dogs and markets please? After all this is a food forum, not a dog forum. The discussion seems to be going nowhere talking about dogs in general.

6 Likes

I love my dog, but I never take her anywhere she’s not legally allowed. I see lots of dogs in markets – both indoors and out. I hate seeing dogs that are clearly not service dogs in food establishments, not because they’re unsanitary, but because the owners are part of “the rules don’t apply to me” culture.

As Gary Soup noted, people who abuse rules regarding service dogs make it harder for people with real service dogs. Service dogs are trained to behave in public places (not stick their noses or potty everywhere). I know a woman who breeds dogs for Guild Dogs, and one of her pups flunked out of the program because she pooped in a big box store.

2 Likes

Hello Ruth, nice to hear from you (and in agreement with me for once).:wink: