Do you like eating outside on restaurant patios?

I like eating on the patio, for the most part but I always have to go and check it out first, since there is a film of soot, on the chairs, smokers, traffic, hot as hell with no shade or breeze…
Most times, the vibe is better inside, unless, oceanfront.

In the islands…always…

Grouper? No, but I have had some fine red snapper and wahoo at an old beach cabana off the fishing boat docs in Aruba…(Where the Marriott now stands if you have ever been).

I will sacrifice a pretty view to dine in comfort. Outside is fine provided it’s a good temperature, not buggy, not windy, not too sunny, not too close to passersby or cars. The view will still be there when I’m done with lunch, and I can look at it then.

Off the top of my head, House Without A Key in Honolulu at happy hour is my idea of an ideal outdoor dining experience. Bonus points for the opportunity to watch several wedding parties have their photo sessions on the lawn.

1 Like

The only place in NYC where I ever enjoyed eating outside near the sidewalk was (the late) Dojo’s on St Marks - there was not that much street traffic and always crowds of people walking by on the sidewalk itself. Great for people watching and you’d always see at least a couple of people you knew walking by.

And I still love the Bohemian Beer Garden in Astoria, although it really has gotten super, super crowded these days. Almost to the Yogi Berra point of being so crowded that nobody goes there anymore.

I am thinking about special events, specifically Bike Week, Daytona Beach, and Biketoberfest, Daytona Beach. The idea of sitting in the crowded space, literally scrunched between the restaurant or bar and the street is not intended as outdoor fine dining. But with a plate full of festival kinds of food, and the noise- the roar- of thousands of motorcycles going up and down “Main Street,” Daytona Beach, its an experience all its own. Not NOVA’s idea of “quiet.” For a more low-key side of Bike Week, a friend of mine who is an avid Dairy Queen fan, will insist we take a ride south of town, pull into a Dairy Queen that still looks like it did in the '50s. But even down there, the place is surrounded with picnic tables and dozens of motorcyclists and other tourists, and the “outdoor dining” on Dairy Queen cones or coney dogs is exactly what the moment called for! A bit different take on the OP’s question.

A real cigar smoker never stubs out a cigar :slight_smile:

I don’t mind eating outside as long as it isn’t afternoon in July. Holy moly is it hot and muggy right now. Conversely nearing 55 degrees and I’m inside. I can handle hot way better than cold

Mosquitoes are another reason to keep me inside

Oh man i loved dojo!!
I’m really not a fan of any beer gardens, so no worries i’ll end up at that one.
The roof at salvation taco is great on weeknights but when it’s busy on weekends it’s crazy loud and claustrophobic

1 Like

Ill agree with you on the heat this week. We got a storm about noon that boosted the steam, but kept the temps down. But ill be outside tomorrow…there will be a sunset that needs watching.

1 Like