Dipping sauces for French fries

(post deleted by author)

@Harters I spotted this hybrid at my local grocery store on Thu. Not my cup of tea.

2 Likes
5 Likes

The Brits are big on Tartar sauce for their fries, er, I mean “chips”.

That’s a very regional choice. Edinburgh is known for the salt and sauce option. And I do mean Edinburgh. It’s a thing.

1 Like

I guess it depends upon the French fry and cut .
Personally i like mayonnaise and a ketchup mix .
Or malt vinegar .
The variables are infinite

Gravy is always good. Also I went to a fried chicken place a couple of days ago and they made their own dips. The chicken sandwich was ok. But their crinkle cut chips ( fries) were good but their chili crisp mayo was fantastic. I can’t believe I never thought of it.

2 Likes

One more.

https://i.imgur.com/PlN9pw6.jpg

I need to unsee that.

1 Like

Been a life time ago but remember fries and mayo in Amsterdam or was it Rotterdam…

2 Likes

NYC shop Pommes Frites offers:

Barbecue - Kansas City Style BBQ; Blue Cheese; Bordeaux Wine, Mission Figs & Fresh Sage; Cheddar Cheese; Curry Ketchup - House Curry spice blend; Curry Ketchup Especial - Curry Ketchup, FriteSauce topped with chopped onion; Honey Mustard; Horseradish; Warm Irish Curry - An Irish treat!; Mexican Ketchup - Jalapeno, cilantro, onion & savory garlic mix with Ketchup; Black Truffle Mayo +$0.50; Parmesan & Fresh Herbs; Parmesan Peppercorn; Warm Peanut Satay - An Indonesian peanut sauce; Pesto; Pomegranate Teriyaki; Roasted Garlic - Aioli; Rosemary Garlic; Sambal Olek (Hot Chili Paste); Smoked Eggplant; Sweet Chili - Spicy; Sweet Mango Chutney; TLC - Tequila, Lime, Chipotle - Spicy; Thai Chili Ketchup - Red Curry - Spicy; Vietnamese Pineapple; Wasabi; War Sauce - Warmed Indonesian peanut sate sauce, next to Frite Sauce, topped with chopped onion; Wild Mushroom; Dill Lemon; Poutine Gravy; White Truffle Ketchup +$0.50; Samurai Spicy Mayo - Spicy; Truffle Supreme (Black Truffle Mayo, White Truffle Ketchup, Grated Parmesan Cheese & Fresh Herbs) +$0.50; Smoky Hot Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese; Parmesan and Fresh Herbs (Garnish)

2 Likes

We remember Brussels.

Yea, as you see in many of our replies, mayo is pretty much the standard fry dip in BENELUX.

Anyone use Miracle Whip?

That word is not allowed in this household.

5 Likes

Which word?

• Anyone
  • use
  • Miracle
  • Whip
1 Like

Miracle

Also miracle.

I see the word defined as " an extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency." Clearly not applicable or acceptable in these circumstances.

Miracle Whip is not available in the UK but I’m loath to condemn it as we have the vile concoction that is “salad cream” (although that is also an American creation - first produced by Heinz).

By the by, it’s worth a mention that Mrs Harters is a big fan of salad cream. Which is more evidence, if such was needed, that you can take the girl out of Salford but you can’t take the Salford out of the girl.

4 Likes

Miracle Whip is more offensive than Salad Cream.

4 Likes

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a-okay with mayonnaise not having that tangy zip of Miracle Whip.

3 Likes