DC Area's Best BBQ

The Venn diagrams of how different people intersect in which food and restaurants they do and do not like is always interesting to me. For example, you and I have eaten in enough of the same places by now to be pretty sure that we have very similar tastes in food and that if you like a place, the odds are very high that I will like it too.

I like doing the same with food critics too. For example, I have eaten in a lot of the same places that Washington Post critic Tim Carman has eaten in, so I have a good sense of how much our personal tastes overlap – which is basically random chance. I probably like only half the places that Tim highly recommends. It’s not like I find his reviews to be a negative predictor for me. That is, I can’t say that if Tim likes a place, it makes it more likely that I’ll dislike it. Instead, whether he likes a place is basically a neutral factor in predicting whether I’ll like the place. By contrast, I have a solid overlap with the tastes of Daniel Vaughn, the barbecue editor of the Texas Monthly. If he likes a place, the odds are very high that I’m going to like it too. If he dislikes a place, the odds aren’t quite as high that I’ll agree, but I’d chalk that up to the inherent variability of barbecue places.

The one area in which your tastes and my tastes significantly differ is barbecue. I’ve eaten in both Texas Jack’s and 2Fifty Texas often enough (more than five times at each) to eliminate natural variations as a factor, so we genuinely differ on this one. I view 2Fifty Texas, especially the brisket, as worthy of being included in a discussion of the best places in the country (if not quite making the cut for the absolute top tier). I’ve never enjoyed a single one of the half-dozen or more meals I’ve had at Texas Jack’s.

Daniel Vaughn actually poked fun at Tim Carman over this very issue. Tim had written in the Post in 2017 that the brisket at Hill Country in DC was better than the brisket at Franklin in Austin, which Tim described as “mediocre brisket eating.”

This was barbecue trash talking that Daniel couldn’t ignore. In 2018, he came to town and visited several local barbecue places (2Fifty wasn’t in business yet). He quickly shot down the claim that Hill Country was better than Franklin (Tim publicly conceded his error on this one) and gave some pretty high praise to Federal Pig, especially the ribs, about which he said, “Each tender bite demanded another.”

But the punchline of the whole article in Texas Monthly, which was basically one long mocking of Tim Carman’s taste in barbecue, was about Texas Jack’s:

“I decided to check out Texas Jack’s Barbecue. Out of mercy or laziness, I didn’t even bother to post a photo of the thin, dry ribs, which had as much cracked black pepper as meat, or the crumbly slices of parched brisket before boarding my plane back home. Little of the barbecue I ate in D.C. would warrant a return visit, and I was glad to get back to Texas. A week later, Texas Jack’s was at the top of Carman’s revised barbecue list, and Federalist Pig was relegated to second. Let’s hope the slight keeps your wait a little shorter for the best barbecue joint in D.C.”

Anyway, I’m certainly a believer in “live and let live” where taste for barbecue is concerned, but please don’t let John Tanner know that just yesterday for breakfast, I had a Jimmy Dean’s patty sausage sandwich with mustard, Kewpie mayo, sweet relish, and, yes, even ketchup. I’m afraid he would be judgmental.

2 Likes

Totally off topic, but these lines are from Sweeney Todd:

LOVETT:
Lawyer’s rather nice.
TODD:
If it’s for a price.
LOVETT:
Order something else, though, to follow,
Since no one should swallow it twice!

1 Like

I have been once and had a beef rib {$35 or 45} which I thought wet and not well rendered. It was greasy and lacking in any discernable smoke flavor with no crispness/crunch/texture to the bark. I have it as a bucket list item to go back for the BBQ Brisket, but I am in no particular rush. My trips to DC are regular but infrequent and there are far more restaurants I want to go to than I could possibly try. But I do want to give them another try.

On the other hand, the BBQ platter I had at texas jacks was positively insulting. Dry, dessicated, and yet flavorless. I ate half and left the rest. I will never go back even if someone else pays. I no longer eat meals like a BBQ meal very often and I would prefere to try something new than go back to Texas Jacks. The service sucked too.

Tim Carman is a superb writer. But I feel his reviews are too influenced by the stories of the owners. While I love small owner-operated restaurants, I do not let the warmth of the story influence my evaluation. I feel I can tell a Caqrman review where I am going to not like the food by how gushy the back story is. I run from his recommendations on BBQ. But I still read him for the pleasure of the words, not for the food.

1 Like

Doug,
I’m a little at sea here. I like 2fifty, although I’d limit the discussion to best east of the Mississippi, but that’s minor.
As to Texas Jack’s, I did say something nice about their brisket after dinging them pretty hard on everything but the sausage (have I ever not liked sausage?) on my first visit. At the time, I was grasping eagerly for anything remotely palatable. Perhaps we caught them on a good morning on the second visit. I went back once since and have no plans ever to darken their door again.

I add that I like to highlight positive aspects of restaurants. I approach life looking for books in the running brooks, sermons in stone, and good in everything. That may be a reaction to my career as a litigator.

As to Tim Carman, https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/24/why-people-hate-washington/ Since you mention it, I’ll add that the Federalist Pig in Admas Morgan is pretty bad, but the truck in Hyattsville has some of the best pork around here.
As to your breakfast sandwich, it sounds no worse than your order of bowel, and no one is perfect. My heart goes out to you. And see https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2019/07/25/the-science-of-barbecue/

2 Likes

Heh. I enjoyed that response.

My aspirations are not quite as sunny as yours (“books in the running brooks” is a high bar set by the Bard), but I do try to keep the balance at least a bit on the positive side. Nevertheless, I have to admit that open rudeness has always been likely to set me off. (In my defense, I did have a reputation as an exceptionally nice litigator. I usually ended up knowing all about my opponents’ families, vacation plans, and favorite restaurants.)

Nick at Odd BBQ is spectacularly rude to customers. As an example, here is his response to a negative Yelp review by Kelly W: “Please do us and everyone in the industry a favor, learn how to cook, stay home and keep your crappy opinions to yourself.”

I admit after reading that, I wasn’t overly concerned about hurting Nick’s feelings.

In the interest of comity, let me end by noting our agreement on Tim Carman (while downplaying our disagreement on Federalist Pig in Adams Morgan – where I once took a famous lawyer and actor from Ethiopia to dine to show him what great American food is like).

Oops. I see that I replied to John Tanner instead of Steve in DC. So let me clarify. In the post beginning “The Venn Diagrams,” all the references to “you” are meant to refer to Steve in DC, not John Tanner.

I was responding at great length to Steve’s baffling claim that he could not say that the brisket at 2Fifty Texas was any better than the brisket at Texas Jack’s.

Which explains why John was “a little at sea here.” And why I need to be more careful.

Doug,

John is often a little at sea.

I feel sorry for the Odd BBQ guy, having to live with that much anger. Do you think that was his wife who was so abrupt during our visit? It would violate the opposites attract rule, but would make sense.

2 Likes

PS we followed up the feast with a visit to some of the nearby craft food establishments. I got some chocolate bars at River-Sea, while Steve (and Sarah, I think) got granola from Dano’s. There’s also a pre-order bakery (Simply Desserts), a pickle guy who sells at farmers markets, and an ice cream place that still appears to be under construction (Authors, fka Doughboys). Quite a nice little grouping.

2 Likes

This area is shaping up to be a food-centric enclave inside a business park. Right now, truly hidden. The granola I had from Dano’s (turmeric vanilla) was wonderful. The aroma in the shop made it hard to resist.

2 Likes

I’ve only been to 2Fifty Texas once and only once had the brisket at Texas Jack’s. So not a large sample size. But a lot of the initial press on Texas Jack’s was highly positive (including John Tanner’s) so I am clearly not alone.

Although I eat more than my fair share of BBQ, I do not compare DC area BBQ to other places. And I don’t compare it to other foods.

I am comfortable with claiming that Odd BBQ in total can produce a meal that rivals other terrific meals in the DC area. And our visit was unsullied by even the hint of poor service.

2 Likes

From Nick’s responses on Yelp, the lady you spoke with is clearly a co-owner, but there is no indication that there is any marital or romantic relationship. There could be, I guess, but it’s not mentioned.

I definitely agree that Odd BBQ is one of the best in the DC area. And its sides are a cut above many barbecue places (although 2Fifty Texas also has tremendous sides).

I plan to go to The Bone in Gainesville for lunch tomorrow (Tuesday 6-13), preferably o the early side. Is anyone interested and available?

As per the separate thread on The Bone. I went. It was ok. The collards could be great tif they trimmed them and then chopped them a bit more (long unwieldy strands, but good peppery flavor). Gas assisted. Nice people, friendly place.

1 Like

So the New York Yankees are turning things up a notch in the hot dog condiments race. On July 4 at Yankee Stadium, they are debuting “Colachup,” a new hot dog condiment that is ketchup made with Pepsi-Cola.

They’re calling it a “complete reimagining” of hot dog toppings. There is still time to get your tickets.

Obligatory - but, Yankees suck?

2 Likes

So true.

1 Like

It figures. Pepsi and the Yankees stink on ice.

1 Like

A perfectly good, informative thread from which I’ve learned quite a bit. Until now. Bunch of haters. Although it’s not looking likely right now, you may well expect photos of me eating hot dogs (without absurd toppings) at a Yankee Stadium playoff game (or World Series?) on this thread in the fall. :baseball: :billed_cap:

1 Like

Ha! Toni and I hope to go to a Nats-Yankees game when we return to Bed-Stuy in August-September. I know it’s a long shot, but is there any don’t-miss food at Yankee Stadium?