Current state of Mission Burritos

Beg to differ.

It all comes down to the guacamole.

1 Like

Iā€™ll take sliced avocado every time or better scoop out half or two halves

6 Likes

All elements makes a difference in a burrito: tortilla, meat, type of beans, salsa, extrasā€¦and much is personal preference. True that if one element is off, it can detract. However when you get all of those as you like it and prepared well, then you get something special. I like Cancunā€™s al pastor for this reason; griddled tortilla, nice spice and enough fat for al pastor, good salsa, decent beans. Not a fan of crema since it cuts down on spice.

Really, itā€™s not much different than pizza; crust, sauce, cheese, toppings. Any of those things can make or break a slice but when it all comes together, well thatā€™s why you get it.

5 Likes

Of course, everyone has a pet peeve that can kill a burrito or detract from the whole, like tortilla or salsa, but you still want all of it to work together.

1 Like

Yes! Always slices of avocado over guacamole in a burrito.

I lived in the mission in the late 2000s in a 7 bedroom house full of young 20 years-olds and there was probably 2 or 3 burritos consumed everyday in that house ā€” and even more arguments and discussions about burritos. Iā€™ll post more when I have some time but for now: the best SF burrito ever made was a super al pastor from El Castillito on Church Street across from Safeway (pinto, spicy, slices of avocado).

3 Likes

Had a super al pastor (juicy, pinto, spicy, avocado) from El Castillito yesterday. Was up there with some of their best ones.

13 Likes

This qualifies as a ā€œprint and frameā€! It would make me happy.

4 Likes

I just ate a huge breakfast and now I want to eat that. Dear lordā€¦

1 Like

ā€œAnd after a burrito at El Farolito and one at La Taqueria, they can hit Mission Pie for dessert.ā€

Looks like Mission Pie has been supplanted by Reemā€™s California Mission recently featured in Check Please. Destination-worthy fresh pita and spreads. Pretty good flatbreads. Skip the falafels.

3 Likes

Their labneh-based spreads are the winners, the others are eclipsed by the ethereal quality of the pita and flat breads (manaā€™eesh). Their La Gringa 3.0, a lamb spin to the quesabirria trend, is conveniently cut into wedge shapes and belongs on any Mission food crawl, burrito-oriented or not :slight_smile:

As a post-burrito dessert, their Tahini Chocolate Chip cookies are great, and lighter than a slice of (much missed) Mission Pie.

6 Likes

I love me a good meandering thread.

I have never understood the lack of love for PV. The hours, bright light, efficiency, had me going there regularly in the late '90s.

Yes, itā€™s important to know the meat(s) the place specalizes in. I could go to cancun when I wanted a Veg Burrito, and I know there was a meat they did well, but Cancun was always known for the Veg. In an unfamliar place, I will often pop out of line to eyeball the layout of the meat grid. Any case where the well is 2x size will be my initial order. And/or what everyone else is ordering. Or if they have a Trompo itā€™s the al pastor.

I had a soft spot for Gordoā€™s when I lived in North Berkley, but found that a regular burrito with, i think carnitas, was very solid but with a lot of toppings the flavor went all sideways. The only competition on Solano Ave was Cactus and that place, while good, was a bit on the white and bland side.

Down on the peninsula, Iā€™ve settled into Los Gallos in RWC. The salsa selection is fairly broad, the meats are OK (no real standout though to be honest), itā€™s close to my house, itā€™s open till 11, and it shares a patio with Freewheel Brewing. Besides having tasty salsas, they have a bar with 4 salsas and endless chips, which makes up for meat deficits (the Gruenseā€™s havenā€™t brought back their salsa bars in most locaions, and gave up on endless chips long ago, and meats are better when fresh but sometimes sit for a while). Thereā€™s a place on Willow Rd (there are several) which is my favorite, they do Carnitas as their best meat and proudly on display (they ask if you want more skin or meat, which I donā€™t know if anyone else does). Freewheel brewing is somewhat underrated - there was an article last month in one of the local papers about the crazy brewery specializing in british beer, which is them. I like the London IPA because itā€™s a malty less punchy IPA but has more flavor than the actually-british beers they specalize in, I find it a very tasty hybrid. And they keep the alcohol level down (4.5, I think) so serving in a 20oz makes sense.

Thereā€™s a place cucoā€™s on Middlefield RWC that has the hot press, and they are pretty good. Their meat is fresher and gets a bit more char. I donā€™t think itā€™s as good as the reviews though. The Chavez Markets seem pretty well regarded here but I donā€™t ever seem to hit them at a good time.

Re: beans and rice. If you donā€™t like refritos donā€™t order refritos. Sheesh. I like my pintos. And Iā€™m less and less about the rice, but havenā€™t gone all the way to no rice (might start come to think of it). Instead, Iā€™m really just ordering tacos more than half the time, now. Standard tacos, no guac, no crema, no whatever, give me the meat and a dab of salsa and the yummy pickled objects on the side and Iā€™ll add some more salsa from the salsa bar, maybe. Every place with a good salsa bar gets extra points. 3 is a good lunch and not too much food and you can try different meats and explore without committing to a full burrito.

8 Likes

Ya, Cancun at 19th had/has (donā€™t make it over there much anymore) the best veggie ever ā€” I would even go there just for that over an al pastor from Castillito once in a while.

And since this is a meandering thread ā€” the super al pastor quesadilla from Cancun after a night out, usually ending up across the street at Beauty (yikes) was something special. Iā€™m not lying when I say my good friend has a child as a result of that super al pastor quesadilla at 3am.

I never order carnitas in burritos, but La Tapatia in South City is my go to for picking up carnitas every once or twice in a year when I feel like them. Iā€™m a 3/4 mixto and 1/4 costilla guy and just eat them with their pretty good corn tortillas. But their flour tortillas are pretty good too so Iā€™m sure the burrito would be good as well.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about trying your Al Pastor from El Castillito so today was IT. They are very generous with their meat. Donā€™t like their chips but at least thereā€™s no charge. Bonus: you can serve yourself from their salsa bar ā€¦ El Farolito doesnā€™t allow self serve. Donā€™t you hate it when you tell one guy exactly what you want (this time, no rice) and he walks off and another guy comes and only knows what meat you ordered and you have to repeat everything?

4 Likes

I could have written this opinion. PV, specialty of veg or meat, falling out of love with Gordo and of course pintos over refried.

The problem I am having with many stand alone shops is the lack of variety of meat. I need me my cabeza and innards. I probably need to get out of Dodge. I have a lot better luck in Central Valley trucks.

2 Likes

i think most of my local shops have the cabeza and the lengua, but not the tripos. I think I need to start going that wayā€¦ where to start?

2 Likes

Work it and tell us, please!

Tacos not burritos for starters id say on tripas. And for me needs to be crispy. I love it. Had one at Sonoratown in la today. And other stuff haha.

1 Like