Current state of Mission Burritos

And peas in our guacamole?

Never! Silly New Yorkers.

1 Like

Had a regular carne asada burrito at La Espiga de Oro last week and +1 that option. Not as big as some other representatives and it took a little while to be ready, but it had very juicy flavorful carne asada, and the tortilla was nice and toasted. Good salsa inside too. They also sell chicharrones by the pound, which makes a nice side dish.

I’ve gotten sinewy meat in their carne asada burrito and haven’t gotten it since-- perhaps I should reassess. I am a fan of their breakfast burritos, however, especially since they open at 6 AM. They sell fresh masa too, including hours when nearby La Palma is closed

1 Like

Where are your current faves? I’ve only been to Cancun.

I only buy one thing at El Farolito, 24th/Alabama: Chile Relleño Super with green salsa inside. I cut it in half, so it’s two meals for me.

2 Likes

It’s on my list for my next visit!

A good Chile Relleno is a thing of beauty.

3 Likes

Another shout out for Pancho Villa. Salsas make or break a burrito, and PV’s are on point.

5 Likes

Yes. I’ve been going to Pancho Villa for over 30 years and there’s something about that green salsa and steamed tortilla. Now I get the carne asada pura ie just steak. Sometimes onions cilantro or cheese but not needed. Extra meat makes it bigger when needed. Load up on the green sauce. The rice beans etx was needed caloric value when I was younger.

Man the neighborhood has changed. I’m glad pancho villa has not !

3 Likes

If you ever make it down to Ojai the Chile relleno burrito at Don Lalo’s - two locations - is a gooey cheesy gut buster. That’s my current favorite.

No rice needed

4 Likes

Yum

1 Like

Brilliance! Combines 2 of my favorite things in one handheld bomb
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

No shortage of avocados in ojai either.

2 Likes

re: La Cumbre, if you’re getting a steak burrito, ask or pay for a fresh grilled meat. Otherwise the grilled chicken is good and holds up to sitting.

I personally prefer the grilled or griddle tortilla. Adds a little texture, doesn’t get soggy like a steamed tortilla. Taqueria Cancun and a few other places do it. Al Pastor and Quesadilla Suiza at Cancun are excellent.

2 Likes

Now if you’re ever down in LA check out Fernando’s burrito at Gilbert’s el Indio. It’s a relleno and avocado and refried beans (and lettuce!) filled burrito smothered in salsa espanola and melted cheese. Bring cash and a huge appetite. Old school greasy chips and salsa are a plus.

4 Likes

Just a note: the burrito eater extensive database is still online. You can find detailed breakdowns of all Taquerías mentioned in the thread. It’s easy to hone in on the best places to sample that match your particular preferences.

https://www.burritoeater.com/taquerias.php?order=omr

The highest OMR in the database is held by La Espiga de Oro with an astounding 8.81 mustaches.

4 Likes

Any list that puts three Gordo’s anywhere near the top is suspect for me, and Pancho’s (Laurel Heights) is beyond acceptable. And, yes, no inclusion of Pancho Villa. Not a list I could trust.

2 Likes

Yes. I’ve tried the Gordos in Berkeley too many times. No bueno.

2 Likes

When our son would fly home from school, we always had to stop at PV for an al Pastor Speciale en route home. That or a fast run into Sam Wo’s. Then he knew he was truly home.

4 Likes