Covid - will it be the death of the tasting menu?

@Auspicious, I’m quite certain you can “engineer” and execute the tasting menu most successfully. Sounds like a great idea, in fact, and I’m sure would be much appreciated by the birthday girl. Don’t forget something fabulous for dessert! Creme Brûlée perhaps, so you could use the torch X2 that night…

1 Like

Recognizing I don’t use a wheeny kitchen torch. I’m a Julia Child trained man. The good stuff starts at 2:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVeUWfG7xhQ

1 Like

Oh no, I never underestimated you in that way at all. I have one of those ridiculous little kitchen torches, absolutely worthless! I have a good one now, but have no idea the brand or firepower. Will post a pic. Let’s just say it more than does the job sufficiently. Just need to get over the intimidation of it!

1 Like

Use this. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-WK2301-Propane-Torch-Kit-333084/202539561?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_1_HAND_TOOLS-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-HandTools_PLA_PrioritySKUs&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_1_HAND_TOOLS-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-HandTools_PLA_PrioritySKUs-71700000067189882-58700005873234873-92700053720272514&gclid=CjwKCAjw_qb3BRAVEiwAvwq6VnTrpPb3HM0Np4slAf7wRLLklVStrpxW0mLh_0Mg9Tmrrb21QlcmdhoCUYcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Mine is older and not so fancy - more like Julia’s. Used for plumbing, RF connections, and gratine.

1 Like

That Julia Child you tube was fun!

@Lambchop and @Auspicious, what about the Searzall ? I’ve been trying justify that forever

I am doing what I will now refer to as a “tasting menu” for husband for Father’s Day. Nothing fancy, but more work than the usual Sunday meal.

I’d start with a flame spreader like https://www.amazon.com/Mag-Torch-ORGL84921-Magna-Industries-Spreader/dp/B000646QV2/ref=sr_1_38?dchild=1&keywords=propane+torch+tips&qid=1592481941&sr=8-38 and if you like that one of the tips used for burning out weeds from cracks in your driveway.

I see 2 problems.

1. If some one does not drive !

2. Obvious: no Street traffic - if you have cancellations !

MENUS SHOULD BE VEERED TO “KISS” = KEEP IT SIMPLY SIMPLE …

IN SPAIN: CHOICE OF APPETISER, CHOICE MAIN COURSE AND CHOICE CAFÉ OR DESSERT AND YOU CAN PAY EXTRA FOR THE CAFÉ … ALSO BREAD AND HOUSE WINE INCLUDED …

1 Like

Just to clarify, is that what you are suggesting menus should become - a traditional 3 course meal - or are you saying that’s actually what’s happening with places which were previously well known for tasting menu food? I’m thinking of the likes of Alkimia, Tickets and Cinc Sentits

1 Like

I’m dreaming about heading back to Barcelona and hitting up Tickets too!

I’ll be happy just to get to the North Wales coast, about an hours drive away. Lockdown rules still prevent it.

Moor Hall is a Michelin 2* restaurant about an hours drive from home. We go periodically. Subject to a change in lockdown rules, they intend to reopen on 22/7, still serving their multi-course tasting menu. This link to local newspaper gives some idea what they are intending - distancing (they do have the space to cope with 2 metres if necessary), taking temperatures, removing the wine flight option. I’ve had a more explanatory email from them but this should give an hour (and sort of answers my own question)

1 Like

@Auspicious and @shrinkrap, below a pic of the (kitchen) torch. As to @shrinkrap’s question about the Searzall: I’m sure it would be a great kitchen toy to have, and I
think they’re pretty well regarded. For the limited needs in our kitchen, I can’t justify the $$$. This one works just fine.

3 Likes

Yep - after you’re done with your gratinee you can fix that irritating drip in the hot water feed to your kitchen sink.

3 Likes