COVID-19: Are California's farmers markets at risk of getting shut down?

Anyone know of any fruit-centric CSA options that won’t break the bank? It seems like most of the typical CSA options are pretty heavy on the vegetables and I’d like to supplement with fruit. Frog Hollow has fruit boxes, but they look way too expensive for us to do regularly.

Or is it just that there aren’t that many fruits in season at the moment around here beyond strawberries, and most of the citrus comes from farms further in the Central Valley that don’t do CSA boxes?

I think this is not a fruit heavy season.

There has been some citrus, and strawberries should be in my box soon, but stone fruit, grapes, figs, apples, etc will be awhile. I think the exchange for benefiting from a CSA, is to support them through “thick and thin”, which for me has meant learning to work with what’s in season. My CSA is in Capay valley, which is sort of central valley, in terms of climate.

Frog Hollow, Eat well Farm, and Full Belly (Yolo County) seem pretty amazing, but they didn’t deliver to my area when I started subscribing many, many (25?) years ago. .

What fruit do you have in mind? I am always willing to avoid chores, and research obscure fruit harvests!

From Full Belly’s website;

CSA Beginner’s Guide

And

Find a CSA on localharvest

3 Likes

Not super picky. We’d be perfectly happy with a nice variety of citrus - or anything else that keeps us from gorging on sweets.

We ended up ordering a fruit box from Farm Fresh To You, but it won’t be here for a week and a half. I can supplement from our local produce stand in the interim, but anything that helps cut down on visits to the store for fruit, at non-outrageous prices, would be a welcome idea.

1 Like

Be sure to take advantage of the option to customize your box! You can also indicate items you don’t want to receive.

Here’s a page with a list of what gets harvested when in the Capay Valley. It might be a bit old.

This week’s Tomatero Farm box

2 Likes

Attended Mt View farmer’s market this sunday 4/26. Going strong, unlikely to be shut down.

Everyone in the market was wearing a mask ( heard the same thing about Sunnyvale ), with circles for when you’re waiting in line to be 6 ft apart. However, the isles aren’t wide enough to support social distancing.

On the sidewalks walking up to the market, only about 50% of people were wearing masks. Seemed to take off masks exactly at the gate of the market, then would walk past people with only a foot or two of clearance on the sidewalks.

I wasn’t happy about the social distance, we were there on a very specific missions and will only go again if we have a need that can only be met at a farmer’s market.