Could you be 'Zimmern'?

Yes, that lack of structural integrity seems like a sign of spoilage, which can be hard to get past. I have an aversion to crunchy pieces in otherwise soft foods, like tyrosine crystals in cheese. I love the taste of aged Gouda, but I do a lot of flinching when I eat it.

Hmm, thatā€™s interesting. I was about to say that I love foie gras but it has a difference between the inside and the outside. I think you may well be right. Thanks.

And I would stand on my head for a morsel of aged ComtƩ crunchy with tyrosine crystals.

Have only seen a few episodes of AZ, but a few too many shots of him clearly NOT enjoying whatever it was he put in his mouth.

Iā€™ve eaten all sorts of game, and some fairly out there sushi. Just dont care for blood sausage, and was underwhelmed by uni. Foie gras remains a favoritem

Oh, girlfriend, we need to have a foie gras orgy! Damn, I need to play and then win the lottery :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with some posters that say some exotic foods are commonplace where they are found, but appear far fetched to our palates. I remember eating chocolate covered ants and grasshoppers sold out of a drug store years ago. Have tried cuy, no problem. Squab the French way was delicious. I do not consider foie gras exotic as much as an indulgence. I will join your foie gras party, catholiverā€¦

1 Like

Right you are that itā€™s ā€œexoticā€ only because it is not commonplace to viewers elsewhere. There are likely billions around the world who regard a salad of uncooked vegetables exotic, if not barbaric.

1 Like

I have eaten at McDonalds. So I have had everything Andrew has all rolled up into a patty.

2 Likes

Donkey ragu in northern Italy. It was also excellent.

But, generally speaking, I am not an adventurous eater and am happy with the norms of my culture - so no insects, rats, etc for me, thanks very much.

Black pudding is almost a cultural imperative where I am in the world.

On the other hand, andouillette de Cambrai is the most vile thing I can recall putting in my mouth - smell, taste, texture - absolutely nothing going for it at all.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried black pudding/boudin/blood sausage (whatever you want to call itā€¦) in Ireland, northern and southern England, France, and Germany.

Iā€™ve gamely (no pun intended) given it a try on multiple occasions in all of those locations, and the upshot is that I just donā€™t bloody like it. Iā€™ve given it more than enough tries, so Iā€™ve earned the right to simply push it to the side of my plate. The only even remote exception was a cold salad in Cologne on a blazing hot day ā€“ the small pieces of blutwurst were mixed with chunks of crisp, tart pickles, and the combination was oddly refreshing in the heat.

I donā€™t gag on it, I donā€™t jump up and down shouting ā€œIcky-icky-ICKYā€ ā€” I simply donā€™t enjoy the taste, and seriously ā€“ Iā€™ve reached an age where I donā€™t feel obligated to justify my opinion, nor to have someone tell me I need to eat it. Iā€™ve not ever been questioned or given a serious hassle any time Iā€™ve visited Lancashire or Cheshire, by the way.

Iā€™m with you on the andouillette, however ā€“ Iā€™ve tried it from winners of the coveted Medaille dā€™Or (of several different years and a couple of different concours) ā€“ I can appreciate the tradition of making something edible out of the inedible (wellā€¦thatā€™s a matter of opinion) and I can definitely appreciate the skill and artistry to make all the beautiful tightly-wound spirals, but that? Yeah, thatā€™s an icky-icky-icky candidate there. I was told straight-faced that the more the aroma of andouillette resembles freshly-excreted dung, the better it wasā€¦and I just canā€™t wrap my head around why I should put something that smells like shit in my mouth.

1 Like

I remember 1980s celeb chef, Gary Rhodes, doing an ā€œEnglish breakfastā€ salad which included crisped nuggets of black pudding. I never felt a great need to try and replicate it.