costco yay/nay/meh

give it a try and let us know what you think, they have to be proofed overnight.

If you’re in a state that allows alcohol sales in the building, they have really good prices on name-brand spirits (recommended over the Kirkland brand). The stores by me here in the Bay Area also sell some very expensive cognac and such.

Also not food items, but if there are medicines and vitamins that you take regularly, it’s worth getting the Costco-sized container as the per-pill price is much lower than anything you’d pay at drugstores or the supermarket. I get my allergy meds and Lactaid/generic lactase from Costco.

4 Likes

the costco in st augustine has a well-priced wine department.

Yeah. These and TJs butter croissants are the “other” type — giant, soft items. Not what I’m looking for, but lots of my friends love them. I guess it depends on what you envisioned.

I don’t like the stone fire naan either, because it’s not naan, more of a baking soda type flatbread. I’d rather eat the kontos pocketless pita.

A really good friend of mine bought fresh cod at Costco Foster City, CA … found worms in it, threw it out. I told him he should have frozen the package and then taken it back for a refund … they should know when they have sold something inferior.

As folks responded when you posted about this before, it wasn’t that the fish was inferior, rather that fish having worms isn’t that unusual

I agree their croissants are lousy. I wonder if because they are fresh baked the quality varies by region? Here in suburban NYC (CT) both their croissants and Danish pastry are mediocre.

1 Like

I occasionally get their croissants to make almond croissants, which require slightly stale croissants to start with - work well for that!
I use Joanne Chang’s method from “Pastry Love”, and there are others on line.

2 Likes

great idea!

1 Like

I think it has more to do with differences in regional tastes. If you live in a place where a croissant is white bread in a croissant shape, the costco croissants are going to be great.

Neglected to mention that I have the good fortune to live equidistant from Costco and Patisserie Rotha, where the croissants are ethereal, perfection! If in or around Berkeley on a day when they’re open, it’s well worth a stop……if there’s a line, it’ll be worth the wait!

patisserierotha.com

1 Like

I admit that I don’t know what a really good bagel is, but I’m pretty sure the bagels at my local Costcos aren’t it.

5 Likes

Looks amazing!! I tried to convince my d to attend Berkeley for the rice sandwich shop but as usual, she ignored my advice.

In addition to the various beef cuts mentioned above, I love their organic ground beef (comes in a three-pack of 20 oz blocks). The Wagyu ground beef is also very good as part of a mix for burgers (it’s a little greasy on its own). I also like any of the sausages they carry by Teton Waters Ranch. Today (at the Nanuet, NY location) I found flanken-cut short ribs at a reasonable price, will report back after I try them.

Their price on Kerrygold butter and LOL Half and half (any heavy cream) can’t be beat. My local stores want $5 for a quart of half and half, while they are $2.19 at Costco. Their Parmigiano Reggiano is always moist and fresh. Nuts are generally excellent quality.

4 Likes

Lamb chops are way cheaper than anywhere else. I vacuum pack them two to a bag, sous-vide from the freezer to 132F, quick hot sear, very good.

Viccolo cornmeal-crust pizzas, packages of three for the same price as singles in other stores. 1/2 of one is about right for lunch.

It’s frustrating when they stop stocking a favorite, like the Peerless Guatemalan coffee beans. And when they run out of smaller-sized men’s clothing. I got a pair of Levi’s 505s for $29, and when I went back to get another a few days later, only very large sizes were available.

2 Likes

I was raised with “echt” (proper) NY bagels but they would probably not be most folks’ favorite. They aren’t much larger than the shape of an adult hand touching the tip of the thumb to that of the index finger. They have a surface sheen and are extremely chewy. Your jaw should ache when you are finished. Best eaten warm from the oven. The baker will die a little inside if you ask to have it toasted, or want it to contain berries.

8 Likes

This has nothing to do with food, but still a big YAY today at Costco. I had a flat and the tire could not be fixed, but they gave me just over 50% credit (road hazard warranty coverage) on a new tire today, and did enough research to confirm that I didn’t have to buy a full set on my AWD vehicle. Saved a bunch of dough.

11 Likes

I also like the Kirkland almond butter. It’s just nuts and a little salt. Costs the same as other almond butters but is twice as large.

2 Likes

The bagels here in my area of SoCal are boiled and are pretty good for the very low price. Not as good as our nearby bagel specialty shop, but decent. Trader Joe’s bagels are pretty decent too. Again, not the best, but better than anything at a supermarket or a few of the bagel chains. JMHO of course.

1 Like

In my state (WA), I don’t find Costco’s brand liquor prices very good. Regular grocery stores beat them half the time with rotating “sales”. The liquor tax burden here is high, maybe that’s to blame.

1 Like