Costco is cracking down on its food court

…and hotdogs

3 Likes

. . . and TP, party poopers we are . . .

4 Likes

And Parm/Regg, best deal in town!

3 Likes

Well, if all you are here for is drugs, booze and hot dogs, then, yeah, I’d imagine some TP would come in handy. And quite often, no less.

4 Likes

More Costco news, this time about their rotisserie chicken:

1 Like

OOOOH Chicken in a plastic bag instead of a plastic box. I shall have to clutch my pearls when I remember where I left them.

They also switched to plastic bags instead of plastic jars for some of their nuts.

Wegmans made that move several years ago.

I hate that they did this. Their plastic bags end up in the trash. We reuse the jars for years.

3 Likes

Totally agree. I can see that it makes sense for them from a shipping cost standpoint, but you can’t recycle those bags anywhere.

1 Like

Absolutely!

We also re-use the jars, but eventually we had dozens. We couldn’t even get anyone on Freecycle to take them. Luckily, the jars were #1 plastic, which was recyclable here. All too often, packaging is #5 or #6, which is not. The lids to the jars were not recyclable.

It would be nice if Costco would take back the bags for recycling, but one suspects if they took the bags, they would just end up in a landfill anyway. However, Costco says they use only 15% of the plastic that a jar used, so it is at least somewhat better.

In addition to storing stuff purchased in bulk (rice, panko, rice, potato starch, rice, etc), we use the jars to give away caramel corn and candied nuts during the holidays. When the Spawns were little, the jars made good temporary terraria for bugs and other crawlies from the garden. We have also donated them to a local center that provides services to adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities to be used for storage, crafts, etc.

1 Like