Cooking decorumWhy active dry yeast instead of instant yeast?

That appears to be a trademarked product made by Red Star, with added “dough conditioners” (though it’s not clear which ones). Professional bakers use a few different additives to that end, and KA sells standalone “dough conditioners” that are probably less expensive per use, but if you don’t use it/them often, the cost difference probably isn’t worth worrying about…

NVM. Old thread is already linked.
I bought a brick of SAF yeast after the last discussion, and haven’t even opened it. :pensive:

That is what makes bread making and recipes tricky. A little extra salt, and little warmer/cooler water, a little warmer/cooler Kitchen … and it can all go a little differently. But agree, it all tastes good in the end.

1 Like

And just a general note for anyone who finds this and is just scanning …

There is a difference between instant and instant rapid rise … some back and forth seems to indicate they are the same thing …

1 Like

If MikeG is correct that the “platinum superior” yeast has dough conditioners, I’d pass on that. I cannot imagine that it is very needful or fitted to various usages.

Reminds me of “cold” medications, which usually contain three or so elements, all of which can be bought separately, much cheaper, and better targeted and dosed to need.

2 Likes

Like you, I bake with sourdough or instant yeast. We have fresh yeast available in the supermarkets, and I used to use it before I discovered instant yeast. I myself cannot tell the difference, so I use the instant just because it’s easier. I weigh out the amount I want to use, and the rest stays good for a long time. The unused fresh yeast goes bad within a few days. I am not claiming that there is no difference in taste between the fresh yeast and the instant. But if there is a difference, I cannot discern it.