Compiling an ’ eat-list ’ for an upcoming food-crawl [NYC]

Hard to go wrong with those goals (though as @vinouspleasure’s London trip report is proving, maybe I’m wrong about that :roll_eyes:)

Have you taken a look at older nyc recommendation request threads? There’s a lot of good info to be had.

You may want to consider high-end italian (whether modern or traditional, we are spoiled for choices in both) which is excellent in NYC, and - of course - steak, whether something traditional like Keens / Sparks / etc or Cote (many Italian places also do excellent steak). High-end Greek is another sweet spot, and can address your seafood goal differently.

(I hear you on Korean fusion, but what is done really well here is Modern Korean rather than fusion, at various price points.)

1 Like

Having lived and worked in Paris for over two years. Ever since I returned home ( Toronto ), I am constantly on the look out for good, authentic French-Bistro fare…Boeuf Bourgignon, Escargots, Cassoulet, Bouillabaisse…to satisfy my occasional French-comfort food fix!

Came across ’ Le Gigot ’ which has garnered some really high ratings and raved reviews. Has anyone been? Worthy of adding to the eat list? Might have to delete some to make room?!

1 Like

Pastis also re-opened a while back.

Curious whether people who have been to both Pastis & Le Gigot (and other bistros ) think about the dishes you mentioned at both places.

Haven’t been to either of the places (in this incarnation for Pastis), but I head to Frenchette when I’m looking for French-comfort food.

4 Likes

We had lunch at Pastis right after they re-opened in their current location in 2019. The food we had was delicious. However, we didn’t have any of the “comfort” dishes you mention. (We had sardines, pâté de campagne, steak au poivre with frites, calves liver au vinaigre with sautéed onions, and profiteroles.) Only boeuf bourgignon is on their current daily menu though bouillabaisse is the plat du jour on Friday.

1 Like

Try Deux Amis in Midtown East

Not haute cuisine like say, Frenchette, but just basic good cooking. Although I will say that Frenchette makes one of my favorite comfort foods. Their Brouillade is like mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs had a bastard love child.

1 Like

My most recent trip to Le Bernadin was in 2020 (November 5th to be exact, not long after they reopened for indoor dining). It was excellent. I can see where some may find the service hovering, but I just consider it outstanding service. I love the drama of the presentation. It is what one of the best restaurants in the world should be, IMO.

On French bistro fare, I love Frenchette, but I do not consider it old school. However, it is excellent. So is Le Rock (same chefs, Rockefeller center location) which has amazing escargot.

I have not been, but Raoul’s is very old school in a cool, Soho location (the opening credits of SNL used to feature Raoul’s as the cast would hang there).

One place in my neighborhood that definitely has a lot of French bistro comfot items is Bistro Vendome. The chef and his wife own the restaurant and are both French as are most of the waitstaff. It is absolutely excellent food.

Speaking of Michelin Star, Gabriel Kreuther is deifnitely worth a visit. I did the long tasting menu back in 2019 before everything went sideways, but it was absolutely outstanding. Later, during COVID, I ate outside on their patio, trying out their more abbreviated tasting menu. I really enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Count me too as a fan of Frenchette and agree it’s not old school French though. It’s a great place for a night out with fine food. It’s obviously influenced by the McNally school of restaurants that the food shouldn’t draw attention to itself, the restaurant is the star.

I’m not sure I would call Raoul’s old school French. Old school NY artsy maybe. I mean is there a restaurant with more paintings of artsy nudes? Food is solid but not necessarily what I think of bistro comfort cooking. I would call the food more French influenced.

The reference to Harlem reminded me of a story about the French community in Harlem. Hopefully the gift link works.

I did a quick look and while some of the restaurants seem to have closed since 2017, several are still there chugging along serving the dishes that the OP has described. Another reason to check out Harlem. Ignore the out of towners who have never been north of 72nd street.

If that’s too far north, for old school French in Midtown, try La Bonne Soupe. 3 of the 4 named dishes on the menu. Frankly its been a while since I have had a good bouillabaisse.

There’s also a clustering of French expats in Brooklyn right over the bridge so there are a decent number of very nice small French restaurants that serve the community.

2 Likes

I had a mixed experience at Frenchette back in 2018, but after hearing all the rave since, especially from Mr and Mrs Foxface (if you know, you know), I feel like I’m missing out.

The Terrine, Brouillade, Chicken were fine, but the lobster, razor clams, and stewed rabbit didnt excite much

1 Like

I thought the OP was looking for “authentic French-Bistro fare” or “French-comfort food.” Didn’t see that was necessarily looking for “old school.” Did I miss something?

The upstairs Mezzanine area is great for brunch, esp. when the weather is nice.

We had one dinner at Frenchette soon after it opened. I thought the food was fine, some things better than others. We might have considered giving it another try, but the hideously high noise level kept us from doing so.

1 Like

Must we at Hungry Onion also bow and pray to the neon orikles others have made?

2 Likes

It is indeed v. noisy, though I haven’t had trouble hearing my dining companions. Best for this was eating outside (heated pods in winter); dead quiet there. But contrarian I guess that I am, I missed the bustle of inside. Maybe there’s no sound track playing at Frenchette? Dunno, noise level to me there is rollicking fun, and not annoying, but definitely not a romantic, quiet dinner à deux.

Been a fan of CASA MONO for years and agree about those navajas (razor clams). If the chicory/frisee salad is on the menu, order that; so great I asked, and received, the recipe for the dressing which, if I remember correctly, involves Marcona almonds, pimenton, orange marmalade, and other things. They do skirt steak well, and current menu has confited goat (!!) and chopitos. I would certainly order the goat and after making sure that they are very small in size, the chopitos. Like the idea of the eggs with sea urchin and “ancient anchovy oil,” which by that I assume they mean colatura.

Do agree about the uncomfortable seating…hard chairs, small tables jammed together. Advise dining there as early as possible to avoid crowds, but you’ve been there so you know this already.
My other Spanish fave is LA VARA, Andaluz-oriented food, but I’ve been only twice so perhaps I’m not the best to offer suggestions, except I do remember loving their honeyed eggplant.

We used to be regulars at LE GIGOT but have not been in years. I recall excellent oysters, confited duck, and other dishes. Oddly, unless I need a new monocle, I don’t see any lamb on the menu (??)

Since you don’t mention LE COUCOU, I imagine you’ve already been and want to branch out to new places on this trip (??) I like it more than FRENCHETTE.

I wish you great eating, Charles, and a safe trip! One of these years we will have to meetup again in HK for more Yunnan ham, among many other delights you introduced me to!!

1 Like

Wow!! Hello ’ ex-chowhound friend !! So great to hear from you again!! Yes! hk chowmeet from Alfred was fun! FYI, he came over to Toronto last year with his daughters to visit me!!
After checking all the French Bistros’ menus, I personally liked Le Gigot’s offering the most. I heard great things about their Bouillabaisse.
Our trip will be from October 4th to 8th. Maybe when the time gets closer, I’ll send you our itinerary and we can meet for a coffee or chat on the phone?!
Cheers!

1 Like

Charles, yes, do keep me posted on your plans so we can meet, or chat!! This thread turned my thoughts to Casa Mono, where I’ve not been in a while. So I just booked a table for 1 May! I just returned from Spain, and am already longing for Spanish food, so this should be excellent timing. Looking forward to a great dinner!

2 Likes