Comfort fee

I’ve also seen an employee at a good bakery in Toronto drop a $10 loaf of unwrapped bread on the floor, then put it on the rack, to be sold (full-price! Haha ).

I suppose it happens everywhere, but I also suspect it happens a little less in Geneva than it happens in Manchester or Toronto. Haha.

When we went to Portugal, I had every expectation that we would be pickpocketed, mugged , and scammed by a few taxi drivers (have been scammed by taxis in Madrid twice, Nice, Rome, Toronto, Athens), and surprisingly, not one issue re: theft/crime/safety during our trip.

Also, no overcharging on covers at Portuguese restaurants, no issues with unexpected charges at hotels. The only issue we encountered that I remember was a family of entitled Spaniards. Some Portuguese cops even pulled over to see if one person in our party was okay when she tripped while walking.

We got scammed by a taxi driver in Madrid the following week. Lol.

Shows how any of our experiences can vary so much, depending on who we encounter when we travel.

2 Likes

yep I agree too cancel the rez

Re unexpected charges: The last time we went to La Madona, they charged me an extra 50 cents for a salad. Their explanation was that the price of lettuce had gone up and pointed to the fine print on the menu which said, “Prices subject to change without notice.”

As I said, that was the last time I visited La Madona … and that was in 2017.

Is this the place located on Route 79, in Matawan? If so, have you ever had their
pizza?

Yes, La Madona is at Route 79 and Route 516 in Matawan. I can’t remember if we ever had their pizza; as I noted, we haven’t been there in about four years. Denino’s is our go-to pizza place.

We’ve passed by often and I’ve noticed that La Madonna has some outdoor tables. Since there aren’t a lot of options for outdoor seating for pizza in the area, we were thinking of trying it there but never got around to it.

We had pizza at Denino’s once not long after it first opened. While it was o.k., I felt it didn’t measure up to the raves it was garnering.

In the Before Time, our favorite was Pete & Elda’s. Yes, a totally different pizza style but one we love. Unfortunately, as far as I know, they never set up any outdoor seating.

Mezza Luna, in Manalapan, has outdoor tables. I recall going there once many moons ago after they opened but found their food to be on a par with many mediocre Italian spots that dot the area. We didn’t have their pizza, so we decided to give it a try and were pleasantly surprised to find their NY-style to be quite good. So, we’ve gone there for it a couple of times.

Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza also had some tables outside. It is a chain, but we tried it anyway. The style is close to Pete & Elda’s but not anywhere near as good.

We’ve been to Nicholas Barrel & Roost quite a few times for lunch and one dinner. Really nice outdoor setting. At two of those lunches, we had pizza. Tried two different types. Both were excellent.

Now that we’re back to cold weather, eating pizza outdoors will have to wait until next spring as I’m totally against take-out pizza. Last year, shortly after the lockdown, I ordered ready made pizza dough and, for the first time ever, made pizza myself a few times. They actually turned out better than I expected, so I might consider doing it again.

1 Like

Somehow my son (23) just recently found out about the free t-shirt for finishing a large pie promotion they do. If I had to guess in the last 3-4 mos since discovering this my son and his friends have compiled a half dozen shirts each. Lol Oh to be young again!!!

3 Likes

One must consume a XXL pie for the tshirt. I’ve watched guys fold up all 8 slices and eat like a large sandwich!

3 Likes

The deninos in mAtawn is by far the weakest of them all. Besides the SI location, the brick location is the best. A garbage pie with fried calamari is the way to go.
Just an FYI

When there is a terrace surcharge, it appears on the menu. Definitely in many Italian cities, and in Paris.

It’s my experience that Europeans are more upfront about fees than here in the states.

It is certainly true that Europeans (and most other tourists) find the US practice of having one price on the menu, and another (with tax added) on the bill, and yet another (add a tip, please) that you actually pay totally annoying.

You know, so do I.

4 Likes

What is that fee called that you pay when you buy at places in Europe and if you are a tourist can get back at the airport or elsewhere? I don’t remember what that’s about, but I never seem to claim it.

Probably you’re thinking of VAT. Value added tax.

1 Like

Thank you! I found this. Hoping it’s on topic.