Coffeegeeking: How Coffee roast degree affects sensory perceptions

Cool! Does brewing water temperature affect flavor profile along a similar pattern?

Makes so much sense why I prefer lighter roasts now. Always felt like I picked up more nuances than darker roasts.

2 Likes

Hi Johanna
Yes it does! Along with grind size, & immersion time ( if you are brewing in an immersion method ), water temp variation will also affect extraction ,and thus resulting flavors.

Hotter water will tend to accentuate acidity. Trying to take a bit of the edge off a very acidic Kenyan, for example? Then try brewing down at closer to 190F than to 200F.
( can also combine this with grinding a bit less coarse ; this also encourages more body in the extraction, along with some bitterness to counter acidity)

2 Likes

Oh that is fascinating. Thanks for sharing! A friend and I meet for coffee most weekends and we are totally geeking out over this post.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-14/big-coffee-has-a-problem-as-craft-roasters-cut-out-a-middleman?srnd=premium

Thanks for sharing the article, BoneAppetite!

Pretty cool read. Over here in my area we also have a co-op similar to the one profiled the article, called Bay Area Co-Roasters. so if i ever out-grow my home-roasting setup, i know where i can go to feed my roasting bug :wink:

ā€œThanksā€ to you guys, Iā€™ve been experimenting again with roasting my own decaf using my hot air popcorn machine. The beans are from Happy Mug Coffee. Iā€™m getting better at it and itā€™s not the hassle I remember it being before.

1 Like

What did you mean by ā€œold styleā€?

There is no thermostat control . Meaning you can get the temperature hot enough to roast without it shutting off

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the chart.

I personally like dark roast as I donā€™t really enjoy acidity in my coffee.
I use an espresso machine to make a shot of espresso :slightly_smiling_face:

My current roaster

2 Likes

Newer poppers donā€™t get as hot which is what I was told

1 Like

Roast is insignificant since my coffee is 25% bourbon and 25% Hazelnut CoffeeMate. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

:rofl: yes you donā€™t need to be thinking origin and roast level. Just flavorings and proof?

1 Like

We pick the coffee when ripe, pound lightly in the mortar to remove the husk, dry in the sun, roast in a clay pan on open fire, and powder in the blender. No idea about the temperature etc.

3 Likes

Have you tried ā€œprofessionallyā€ roasted coffee? If so, how would you compare it to the way you roast your coffee? Iā€™ve never tried coffee beans from Sri Lanka, will have to look into it the next time I order.

2 Likes

Actually I have tasted all kinds of coffee at shops. Espresso, Americanoā€¦ etc. Tasting home made coffee, I think the flavour is not as bitter as espresso but again itā€™s a different method.
Where are you from? I might be able to send you some ā€˜unroastedā€™ beans next season if the postal services resume.

Unfotunately, Iā€™m very far from you, in Baltimore, USA. Thanks for the generous offer, though, and for sharing your unique experiences.

If the postage is not high then sending you some coffee - at least 100grams- is not a problem at all. Itā€™s free for me from the coffee plants. lol.

There are restrictions on sending agricultural products to the USA. We canā€™t bring plants, produce, or meat back into the US if weā€™re traveling from foreign countries, and Iā€™m assuming that any business importer (such as a coffee importer) will have to get their products vetted by whichever agency handles such things. I donā€™t think youā€™d be able to send unroasted coffee beans through the mail, as one private citizen to another.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s true. All that fumigation certificates etc.