CNY trip around Taiwan

Hunan last night.

Appetizers.

I retry Stinky Tofu every few years. Yep, still don’t like it. A twist on a classic Taiwanese roll, crisp outside and fluffy inside. Delicious!

A must have celebratory dish, Buns with Ham and Tofu Skin. Fun.

Shrimp fried with YouTiou.

Pork with Peppers.

Yuba (Tofu Skin).

Fish with Shitake Soup.

Some kind of dessert. By then, I was stuffed and taste buds saturated. And a wee bit drunk. :frowning:

5 Likes

:laughing:

@Google_Gourmet probably too late but did you checkout the following fish markets near kaoshiung?

https://www.dbnsa.gov.tw/Festival-Content.aspx?Lang=2&SNo=03001989&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

1 Like

@Sgee Thanks for the suggestions. We’re back up in Taipei already, try to hit the Donggang fish market next time. It is a little way out of Kaohsiung.

We had Sakura shrimp a few times last year in Shizuoka, specifically at the Shimizu fish market. We happened to be in the area in season, and it was fresh and available. Even on pizza, we passed.

My wife likes oil fish. She says I don’t like it, I don’t recall what it’s like?

ETA: ok, oil fish is escolar, sometimes called white tuna. It’s ok, not a fave.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

1 Like

A day of Cheap Eats in Taipei, in pictures.

Late start yesterday morning, blame it on the bottle of The Balvenie 12yo the night before. 1st stop, fresh Scallion Pancake with Egg.

Directly across the road, A taste of Wenzhou. The LARGEST dumplings ever, bursting with snappy shrimp and pork.

Hard to resist this great looking Black Pepper Bun grandma. But we were already stuffed. Not so hard to pass on “The Modern Toilet Restaurant”.

Walked around the Xin Beitou area, famous for it’s hot springs. At the Shilin market, this little piggy called out to us. The vender was delicately breaking down small portions of this porker, and carefully crisping bits of the skin in a small oven.

His partner was rolling pancakes from scratch and assembling the wraps with Pork, Onion, Cucumber and Hoisin. The deep fried pancake and the fresh ingredients worked perfectly together. One of the best bites so far.

Around the corner for some Chinese Herb Soup. Pork Rib (Singapore has nothing to fear) and Catfish soup, almost as good as mom’s. The owner proudly showed us the herbs combination he has used for 30 years.

Back to our hotel for 5:30pm Happy Hour. All the wine and beer you care to imbibe. Little bites of Steak, Cheese, Pork Belly, etc… a nice complimentary bennie.

Thus fortified, on to the nearest night market to gather the evening meal.

Gua Bao.

Bahn Mi.

FRESH steamed Fun. Don’t get better than that!

Duck Blood and Intestines Soup.

More Wenzhou Dumplings.

In Room Dining. Home Sweet Home.

7 Likes