Clean Meat

Great question - and I have no idea. Seems to me that if and when this technology ever gets to market, the way animals are raised today will still exist just in fewer numbers - I guess the market will decide, which always turns out to be the best solution in the long run.

https://www.ju.st/en-us/stories/clean-meat

@bbqboy This is just one of the companies - maybe here lies the answers
There is also a book by Paul Shapiro called… “Clean meat”

Nor lamplighters or town criers, or in more recent times, typesetters, printers, and bank tellers. Progress happens.

1 Like

…and due to technological progress, people are living longer, better, healthier, happier lives!

Glad to hear it. In the US, there’s usually a tiny little bit of brief noise when entire “job categories” are made “redundant” (and even that brief bit of noise has become muted over the past 30 years, as most union memberships are perfectly willing, if not delighted, to leave"other industries" and even their own newer/younger members to fend for themselves to protect their own interests). And then a month or two later, everyone goes on about their business as if the New Normal was always the Eternal Normal…

If you think I"m going to rise that bit of ancient hoary old bait, think again…:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Well, I’m not at all opposed to organic farming, and think that many of its practices should be implemented on a wider scale in “IPM” (Integrated Pest Management) methods, which are practical on a wide scale I just don’t think the major argument of so many of its proponents - that as food it’s “healthier” - holds much if any water.

1 Like

For those following religious dietary restrictions, it would be interesting. Since there’s no slaughtering taking place, I guess it would be Halal.

Assuming it is beef then yes, aka Kosher

2 Likes

People who have always been vegans or vegetarians are not really the target for “fake meat” that tastes just like meat, just as people who have never eaten whale meat would not be the target for “fake whale meat” that tastes just like whale meat.

2 Likes

The mention of vegans was because in the interview they have a vegan who states he tried meat for the first time and now can eat it. I found it funny

1 Like

I doubt that.

1 Like

I have a vegan friend who tried the Impossible burger, and said it tasted so much like he remembered the real thing that he couldn’t finish it.

The whole fabricated/lab-grown food concept nauseates me, and I’d go vegan/vegetarian before I’d eat it.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: That seems to be the consensus around here

2 Likes

I have to bid and deliver food regularly for small groups. Nothing fancy. For reference: $12/person/day (three meals and snacks) is plenty. You can get down to $5/person/day but there is a lot of rice, beans, and mustard.

1 Like

Oh - someone has to say it: Soylent Green.

Meh. Maybe for a co-pay.
I’m kidding!

1 Like

I don’t know what kind of growth medium is used for lab cultured meat, but most cells grown in vitro require some sort of animal serum or derivatives thereof. At least nowadays, that has to come from real animals.

1 Like
1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: beyond meat burgers