Christmas dinner at the UK chains. No, they're not all awful

Maybe it was just us posh Cheshire folk that cooked them separate (like Delia). LOL. I remember when I was a lad, about the only Christmas cooking job,Mum allowed me to do was to prep the bacon rolls. Streaky, as you say, of course. I’d stretch out each rasher with the back of a knife , cut them in half and roll them up, sticking them on to a skewer, for roasting once the turkey came out of the oven to rest. Which is what I still do, if it’s our turn to cook the Xmas family lunch (except last Xmas, when we couldnt be arsed to make much effort, so bought Marks & Spencer pigs in blankets.)

I’ve never been a fan of turkey and much prefer the “trimmings”

1 Like

What is a Chain Restaurant in the UK? Or what is a UK chain?

I think those are two different questions.

As for what is a chain restaurant in the UK, I’d presume it’s the same sort of business as folk in other English speaking countries would define as a chain. In essence, a multi site group of restaurants sharing a general brand name, menu and concept.

I’m not sure I understand your second question. Do you mean what chains operate here, or what chains are UK owned?

If which chains operate here, then Google tells me the following are the most visited (in order) - Nando, Pizza Express, Pizza Hut, Frankie & Benny’s, Wagamama, Bella Italia, TGI Fridays, Miller & Carter, Zizzi, Prezzo, Ask.

If your interest was in ownership, then Nando is South African, Pizza Express is British, Pizza Hut is American. I’ve not bothered to Google for the ownership of others I’ve mentioned.

I’ve never been sure whether to describe some corporate restaurant businesses as chains or not. For example, the Brunning & Price dining pub group operates around 80 establishments across the country. It is owned by The Restaurant Group which also operates a number of other more clearly defined chains, like Wagamama. The pubs are really restaurants in buildings which used to be drinking pubs. There’s a corporate style to decoration, furnishings and menus, although each pub’s head chef writes their own daily menu (within what I assume to be Head Office guidelines you will always find a burger and fish & chips on the menu). So, is it a chain because of the corporate oversight, or not a chain because the chef designs each menu?

2 Likes

I Googled chains in the UK and the responses were: McDondalds, Burger King, KFC……very different menus than those in the article.

The food in the article seems like pub food , comfort food in the US.

1 Like

My take from the OP was these were sit-down chains… not fast food. In the U.S. these would be Applebees, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, PF Changs, and the like.

1 Like

Thanks, I do not know what UK Chains are, so I googled it.

Your reply makes sense.

These are not fast food places, like McD. Would you get a sit down roast dinner at your local McD? Of coruse not.

Of the places where the guy ate, most are linked with pubs. Others are the more general sort of restaurant, similar if you like to Applebees in America. A couple are bars that serve food. Of the pubs, some are drinking pubs but you can order food at the bar to be brought to your table, Others, like for example Beefeater, the pub has a restaurant area, separate from the drinking area - if nothing else, it allows children to be able to eat there