Chongqing Xiao Mien on Kearny

I’m interested if it’s on a weekend night and depending on my also limited availability :slight_smile:

so that’s 3 of us. and maybe 4-5, Atomica, if we get our mutual friends involved…
unfortunately, Candice, i would really prefer to go on a weeknight, since i work across the street. i can’t see coming all the way back to the area from home on a weekend…

I am late to the party but we finally made it there. It was pretty empty on a weekend evening.

The CQXM was good as many above pointed out. Nice ma-la and nice fragrance from the chilis. Noodle could be cooked perhaps half a minute shorter.

The Guilin rice noodle soup was decent but didn’t stand out. Came with a tea smoked egg, pickled beans, peanuts, some meat.

The juice from the juice bar was not bad, however.

2 Likes

The CQXM was fine just like last time. The cross-the-bridge noodle, if we assume Newark Cloudland’s version is the real deal, then CQXM’s version was a mediocre imposter. Broth was bad, salty, not hot enough and didn’t taste like its derived from meat/ bones. That broth clung onto every strand of the rice noodle and made the noodle unappetizing as well. The best way to eat them, was to put the noodles into the bowl of CQXM and stir to coat them with the much better chili sauce.

The pork in the sweet and vinegary pork was very tough and dry. Skip.

The chili and vinegary liangfen was pretty nice. A little tartness from the vinegar and some heat from the chili led to a pretty tasty app served at room temperature.

Shouldn’t order a Yunnan specialty from a Sichuan restaurant, but we really should just stick to the Sichuan specialties.

Found the picture for the crossing the bridge noodle components aside from the broth. Avoid.

1 Like

Made it over for lunch today and had the pickled mustard and beef noodle soup. Really good, nice and spicy, slightly al dente noodles and enormous portion. I just ate the solid goods, I can’t imagine slurping the broth, not only because of the heat but the layer of fat /oil on top. Quick service. I’m gonna try one of the smaller bowls next time as it is very difficult to work after having this for lunch.

Hit the spot on a cold hailing day. Generous portion of beef and al dente noodles and nice numbing heat from the Szechuan peppercorns.

4 Likes