Chipotle anyone?

I totally agree one likely has to be aggressive to turn a small business in a corporate giant. In the particular case this was a show that was supposed to mentor small restaurant owners and he was just mean and mean spirited. It’s all about context.

I still boycott several companies that are no longer run/owned by the original founder. It’s a thing with me. I figure they may still own stock and I don’t want to think I’m adding to their wealth.

Never been. I’ll be interested in the comments to see what I’m missing … or not missing.

It’s just Chipotle.

Not life changing and about as easy to go to as say changing your underwear. No reservations taken, a meal takes about as along as ordering a Frappuccino from Starbucks.

If you’re curious, just go.

It’s not going to be a major time investment , effort endeavor, or even money suck.

2 Likes

Chipotle has a well-reported history of food poisoning outbreaks and I would be reluctant to eat there. The one I pass by most often is in the food court at the Baltimore airport. There is always a long line of people, though, including flight crew.

Have only been to one Chipotle, and that only one time. A total turn-off. Most options appeared to be Gringo-Mex, and came through same on the plate. Flavors straight out of the factory. Prices high for junk-fast food. BUT, admit that we are truck-junkies and used to abuela seasoning and mamacita pricing rather than corporate kitchen and accountants.

4 Likes

Chipotle’s burritos are kind of a facsimile of a Mission-style burrito. I live in the SF Bay Area where this style originated and there are many places where one can get the “real thing”, so I don’t go to Chipotle very often. My experience has been that something is missing from them, maybe it’s the rice as Chipotle has a cilantro rice rather than the usually tomato flavored red tinged rice in local taquerias. And maybe the meats and beans are too “healthy”? Anyway they are a bit lacking to me (usually) compared to local offerings.

1 Like

Waiting for Chipotle or panda express to come to mt shasta . Starbucks arrived last year .They are kicking A . I make my own coffee. Ill never go there . There is room to build next to Starbucks. But city council is run by the progressive . Right off hwy 5 .

There are certainly enough near me …

Me, too. And mine is better! It’s certainly cheaper …

1 Like

Well it will be a alternative to going to burger king every year and a half . It truly sucks . Would probably go to either the same . My lunch packed in my igloo cooler is better.

1 Like

Me, either. Chipotle, Olive Garden, Panera, Applebees, Carraba’s, Dave & Buster’s, and Red Lobster are all utter strangers to me.

In a world of very good, relatively inexpensive restaurant food, chains just don’t do it for me.

Let’s turn this around… Can anyone here unreservedly recommend ANY national chain? See, https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/top-500-chains

2 Likes

Have you ever tried one? I’m curious because I am not sure I could write off all chains, and I’ve tried several. I don’t know that any do “it” for me, but I keep trying Popeyes, and In and Out when son is visiting from Turkey; He always gets some his first day back in California. When husband brings me a sandwich from Chik Fil A for lunch I will eat it.

Where I live we also have a few restaurants that have three brick and mortar places in the SF Bay Area, and I still enjoy them, but I am not sure if they meet criteria for a chain.

2 Likes

So many I’ve never heard of. Smaller or regional chains hopefully have higher quality than the ginormous multinationals. I’d try Nobu, and I stop at Popeye’s a couple times a year. Compared to local chain Ezell’s, Ezell’s might have slightly juicier chicken but I prefer Popeye’s salty biscuit over their sweet yeasty roll.

But I agree on why bother with Chipotle, I use Google maps to search for tacos instead. Rural areas still have taquerias, and cities have much more to offer; chains are (often) the mediocre suburban middle ground.

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat. I have limited calories and money to waste, so I choose to eat what I personally feel is the best. Chains are not. Although I will make the occasional exception for Popeye’s, but that’s pretty much it.

I also wouldn’t consider a local business with 2-3 locations a chain.

3 Likes

I’ve been to lots of sitdown chains over the years. Ones that come to mind are Denny’s, Marie Callender’s, Outback, Capital Grill, Red Robin, Godfathers, Ruth’s Chris, Benihana, Claimjumper, P. F. Chiang’s, TGI Fridays, Hooters, Tim Horton’s, Jamba, and Long John Silver. There are many more.

All those experiences–with the exceptions of Capital Grill and Ruth’s Chris–convice me that corporate chains just don’t cut it for me.

1 Like

I normally don’t think of Nobu as a chain but I guess it is as I’ve been to multiple locations in many cities. But it’s well beyond the price range for what most people will think of for chain dining. I go a few times a year. Mostly the same menu across locations though. I do love the yellowtail with jalapeño in ponzu and the rock shrimp tempura in creamy spicy sauce is one of my all time favorite shrimp dishes. Went this weekend and took the family. The bill was pretty substantial.

2 Likes

Interesting! Most of those are “strangers to me”, but not “utter”. I have heard of several, including Ruth Chris and may have been there. I think I have probably been to TGI Friday’s and Benihana, Outback and even Dennys. Husband likes PF Chang’s. We also go to Craft when in LA, New York, and Vegas.

There is a “group” that owns restaurants like Fog City Grill , and Rutherford Grill in the Bay Area. Not first choice, but it works for visiting groups, so it’s not a hard pass.

Pass, just keep on walking. I’d hazard a guess that your palate is more refined than what Chipolte could offer.

South Park did a very informative Episode on this subject. :rofl:

4 Likes

BierMonk
17m
*South Park did a very informative Episode on this subject."

What subject?

I’m seeing a “refined palate” thread in our future! :grin:

2 Likes