China 1st stop. Shenzhen

Pardon my asking. German?? Why?? :slight_smile:

Simply curious - plus, I wanted to be different, as most of my college mates took French or Italian. I now very much regretted that I didn’t choose French. :joy:

In my secondary school, I had the choice between French and Chinese, I chose Chinese and didn’t regret, although years later I ended at in France, a country I had never given a thought in my younger days and need to learn the language the hard way. :sob:

1 Like

I went the other way a decade ago. Took the night sleeper bus to shenzen from Yangshuo 阳朔县 , spent the day wandering. Good times, good eats.

You can start now. I spent about two months playing language lessons when I exercised before a few trips to china. I can speak enough language to order a beer and the spicy pork dish in a broad variety of languages. And, take the local bus. And, “the dish like that guy has, plus a cold beer”. The number of sentences necessary to eat well is staggeringly small. You can do it!!!

1 Like

That’s cool. Do you have any opportunity to use it now?

German is a beautiful language. To me, certain things sound so much better in German. It would be pretty easy for you to learn some other languages if you already know Germanic languages.

I took French, Mandarin and German in high school. Hated the first 2 and forgot everything now.

I also stayed a few days in Yanshuo. After 3 trips to China I still like Chengdu and Tibet the most.